Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone have an Emergency Evacuation Plan for their pets?

krdahmer
July 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Just wondering what kind of plans you all have for getting your pets out of the house in case of fire/flood/natural disaster type stuff...

I've got six kitties here and am having trouble coming up with something that will work. I don't want them just wandering outside or stuck hiding in spots that aren't safe. I have a few ideas but am wondering if any of you have already divised a genius plan you don't mind sharing. I'd like to think that I could be prepared at least somewhat to save my kitties in any situation. Oh and I'm kinda looking for a multi-pet home idea.

Oh I do have the In Case Of... stickers on the door with descriptions of each cat. And the location of my fish tanks, not that they could do anything with a 30 and 40 gallon tank.:shrug:

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Our major concern here is forest fire. The only real plan we have is to pack the dogs in the car and get out of the area--luckily, the roads that leads out to farm land (i.e., out of the forest) go east and north--and our prevailing winds are from the south and west--so we hope if something happens, we can outrun the fire for the few miles we'll need to get out into farm country. We also have a few alternate routes in case one is blocked (though our choices are scarily limited).

We have places to take the dogs in the city about 40 miles from here, so they'd have a place to stay till we could get back and see what's left of Hazel Run.

Since we only have to go 40 miles, about the only thing I'd pack besides the dogs is a jug of water, a bucket of food, some bowls, and the first-aid kit.

Not really much of a plan :o

For a house fire, we have fenced areas to shunt the dogs to, and gates on the far side of the fence (away from the house) to get them out of the yard if necessary. Since the in-laws have a house next door, we'd have a place to stay there, too...

We also have a "safe" spot in the basement in case of tornadoes (or at least, we hope it's safe :eek: It's never had to be tested.)

The crux of all our plans is that one of us is home almost 24/7--and if we both happen to be gone at the same time, we're less than a mile away... For most people, this isn't very practical... :shrug: ...so I'm afraid you won't get a lot of ideas for your plan from here... :sorry:

Maybe I'll learn some good tips from your thread, too! :thumbs up :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Our biggest threat is a hurricane. Basically for us, it's grabbing important papers, water, food for us and Jesse, grabbing Jesse and our laptops and drive North (as far as we need to) and find a pet friendly hotel. We'll have our laptops to grab a wireless connection and book a reservation as we drive. Unfortunately, it's about all we can do here. :shrug:

krdahmer
July 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ok I want to bump this....

So here is what I've brainstormed so far.
Evacuation would be easy, get all the necessities (water & food, litter box-which I actually carry in the trunk for long trips anyhow, etc) and the kitties in carriers in the car.

Fire is my biggest scare. I have extinguishers on both levels of the house.
I know most hiding spots for the skittery cats and have two large carriers and two smaller carriers, although I'm thinking maybe they should be upstairs and easily accessable. I hopefully pack them into the car and then pull it out of the driveway and down the street until I can take them all to my mothers about 10 minutes away.

As for flooding... I'm hoping they would head to higher ground/ furniture on their own so I would have an easy time finding them.

Anyone have any rescue ideas for cats, or seen any products that might help to have on hand?

Jim Hall
July 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
a very large blanket and a lot of rope or a very large gunny sack or two
i mean if you got to get out quick
ive only had to evacuate quick once and i basically grabbed the cats and threw em in the car

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Our biggest threat is hurricanes. I usually stay in my own apartment with supplies, since I have my kitties this year, I've got extra food for them and extra bottled water. I have two kitty carriers, I usually put them both in one but during a hurricane I don't know how they'd be, so I've got an extra one.

I would really only thing about going to my dad's house or my brother's house, and they're cool with my bringing the kitties. So basically my plan is, they go where I go. When anything major is announced, I'll get a big bag ready with their supplies, just in case I need to leave in a hurry.

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I assume you have a collapsing rope ladder from your second floor. How are you going to get the carrier's down ? Wouldn't it better to lower them all down with a rope and caribiner gizmo at once?

krdahmer
July 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Oh I never thought I'd have to use the windows... good question.