Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smells...

dtbmnec
July 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Alright so I'm hoping that you guys don't think I'm totally nuts here but...

Ever since I got Pawz I've noticed he's got this weird smell around him....not sure how to describe it other than "sickeningly sweet." Its not a "I'm sick smell" it just for whatever reason turns MY stomach. Its been there since we got him and seems to really make an appearance when he's super cuddly/drooly/sucky.

I've mentioned it to Arron and to Becky, both of whom couldn't smell it. I talked to mom and dad, both of whom couldn't smell it. I asked my original Hamilton vet about it and they TOO looked at me like I was on crack. :P

The other thing is this....he sometimes, not all the time, leaves a bit of a liquid after sitting and THAT smells the strongest (and totally and utterly turns my stomach)....so its sort of leading me to think he's attempting to spray....but he did it as a kitten as well and likely would be waaaay too young to be spraying/producing any. I did notice that he's made the spot once and then proceeded to lick it up and thereby making an even bigger spot. He's as healthy as can be and it doesn't smell like urine at all...

So am I totally nuts? Do other people's cats leave smelly spots? Do other people smell their cats? Is it like an "eau de Pawz" or something?

Megan

krdahmer
July 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Hm... now which end did the spot originate from? If its a drool spot, yes cats drool.... the eau de Pawz as you say may be just that, the scent of his saliva which would be all over him. If however it came from the other end it could be a secretion from the anal gland, which you might want to have the vet take a look at. As for spraying... how young is he? I imagine it is still a possibility if he's young, every cat develops at a different rate. :shrug:

Then again you could be like my mom and have that dog like nose that smells things imperceptable to the rest of us! (There was an incident with a carpet and we all thought she was batty too!);)

dtbmnec
July 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hm... now which end did the spot originate from? If its a drool spot, yes cats drool.... the eau de Pawz as you say may be just that, the scent of his saliva which would be all over him. If however it came from the other end it could be a secretion from the anal gland, which you might want to have the vet take a look at. As for spraying... how young is he? I imagine it is still a possibility if he's young, every cat develops at a different rate. :shrug:

Then again you could be like my mom and have that dog like nose that smells things imperceptable to the rest of us! (There was an incident with a carpet and we all thought she was batty too!);)

Well its not drool...so it would be the "other end"...But then it smells exactly like his saliva...Unless of course he's been "leaking" and then licking elsewhere....which could make sense...but then he hasn't been paying anymore attention that area of the world than Leo is...:shrug:

I'll have it checked out as soon as I can but mom's away (and took all the money with her...smart) for the next week...off to visit grandma :)

He's playing happily so I'm not sure if there's anything really "wrong with him"...

lol the worst that seems to happen is he runs around like crazy and then starts to pant because its a humidity of about 42 out here (and lackage of AC)...Then again so does Leo...Water dish is filled to the top every day so yeah...They're just being lazy (much like their owner)...

He's just over a year old now...was neutered last November...so I didn't think it was him spraying...added to which he's the submissive one of the two, Leo's definitely the alpha...

Mom's theory was much the same...I'm smelling something the rest of the world can't...

Megan

Kristin7
July 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
You could be smelling things others cannot, especially if you are younger and female. Also, your cat could indeed have something wrong with him, such as liver problems or diabetes. If not displaying any other symptoms, though, maybe he is fine. Only tests to detect these things will tell. On the other hand, like one of my cats, he may be leaking a bit out of his anal glands. Cats have them just like dogs. When one of mine gets really excited about something, a little bit comes out and reeks terribly! I wouldn't describe it as sweet, but more like musky, and disguesting! :yuck: One time I got a little of it on my skin and it appeared oily. :yuck: :yuck:

http://www.westlynnvet.com/bad_breath.htm

dtbmnec
July 10th, 2007, 12:29 AM
You could be smelling things others cannot, especially if you are younger and female.

That would be me....hehe....I know mom's nose is horrible for smelling things and dad's isn't that great either...the vet I saw originally was an older lady but the vet I saw when I brought in Leo the other week was younger...so maybe she'll be able to smell it too.

Now when you say that when one of yours gets really excited a bit leaks out....is that a relatively "normal" thing? Or are we talking a "whenever he does this I send him off to the vet as soon as I can" thing?

I hope Pawz hasn't got anything serious....You know it'd be just like him to have diabetes or something :p

Oh and its not so much that he has bad breath but that I can smell a bit of it on his breath sometimes....and the more saliva around the stronger the smell....so maybe it is a pheromone or maybe he's just cleaned certain areas and its sort of "transferred"?

Megan

Kristin7
July 10th, 2007, 10:42 AM
When my cat leaks a little, I don't take her to a vet. This happens rarely (thankfully!!!) and seems to be normal for her. She doesn't seem bothered at all, like no excessive licking in that area for instance. I don't know what is causing the scent of your cat, but hopefully the younger vet will be able to detect it and have some idea. You could always ask to have his anal glands expressed, and see if that helps. It sounds icky, I hope you can figure it out!!

Spirit
July 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I agree. Sounds like anal glands.

mummummum
July 12th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Really ? I've always thought anal glands smelled like raw sewage.

I was thinking ketones.

dtbmnec
July 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Really ? I've always thought anal glands smelled like raw sewage.

I was thinking ketones.

Yeah it doesn't smell like sewage....just very odd....

Mom gets home on Saturday and he doesn't always do it so we'll be ok until then :).

Was hoping we could wait for a bit since he's due at the end of August for his boosters/rabies vaccines....

Bah...cats...

Megan