Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does not like collar

lbiessen
July 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have a new puppy - when I try putting her collar on, she hates it, she wines and scratches, then doesn't want to play, she just lays there. What should I do, I took off the medal with her name and my phone number and that helped but she still won't play if its on her. I took it off, but wonder if I leave it on, will she adjust to it?

t.pettet
July 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
For her own safety (if she's ever lost) you should insist she wear it. All pups fuss about their collars for a couple days but she will get used to it. Just make sure its not too tight or too loose.

downloader
July 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM
give her treats when ever you put the coller on her.

luckypenny
July 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Leave the collar on her, she will get used to it in a few days. If you take it off each time she fusses, you'll be reinforcing her behavior. Try to redirect her attention to something she loves, a new toy, a stuffed Kong, her favorite ball, etc. You'll see, she'll be alright with it in no time.

Crestedcrazy
July 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I agree with just leaving it on and don't take it off when she whines or scratches at it or she'll soon figure out how to get what she wants ;)

shannonxj
July 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I have bought a collar for my dog and at 1st she doesnt like it. but after a two week, she gets to it na.

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I had the same thing happen with my cats when I first got them. They fussed a bit but got used to it. I think its just a matter of giving your pup some time.

papillonmama
July 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Yes give your baby some time and extra loving for wearing the itchy collar.

My friends' dog didn't like the collar or leash much when he was a pup but when he got older he was proud to wear it, and when he would get a new collar he would insist on wearing it and prance around proudly with it. It just takes some getting used to.

lbiessen
July 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I put it on her two days ago, and gave her a treat and played with her, she's run a few feet and just lay there, she finally got over that and by yesterday she was back to normal. At first I had but her little heart charm with her name and my phone number on it, she went nuts, so I too that off, and will add it to her collar in a few days. Thanks.

happycats
July 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Maybe try a softer, more light weight collar (a small cat one) to start, or even a satin ribbon. just so she gets used to it.

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I think all puppies fuss at collars. If the tags clanging around are iannoying her, for safety sake I would suggest sewing the tags securely onto the body collar rather than doing without. You could also try a small dog or cat harness if it really seems like a losing battle.