Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are mangoes baaaadddd for dogs??

Toutou
July 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hello everyone!

Yes: that will be my question of the day: are mangoes bad for dogs?
My Rottweiler loves apples (I know they are fine for dogs, like carrots), but I am curious to know if the following are also fine:
bananas
cherries
pears
berries (strawberries are fine, but blueberries, blackberries?)

And no: I am not trying to turn him into a vegetarian! :-)

Thank you for your responses and help!!

Toutou

BMDLuver
July 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
blueberries are in some dog foods, so yes, ok
Can't see why any of the fruits you listed wouldn't be ok.. dog might not like them and of course all are pitted. :thumbs up

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Mangoes are okay but make sure you take the pit out so your dog doesn't swallow it since it's quite large and could cause problems. Also, apple pips are toxic if they are ingested although I think they have to be squished for them to release the toxin. :shrug:

mummummum
July 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
No pits, other than as far as I know that everything is fine. Warning though : they can be addictive. Too much sugar ~ even natural ssugar can be fattening and dogs don't need the same Vit c levels we do.

My Bridie LOVES watermelon and to me, when it's coooold, it's the perfect summer treat !

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I just found this list from http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/toxic.htm .....

Known Food Toxins To Dogs
Fruits, Vegetables, Food

Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Broccoli: reported to be pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant

Cherry: rapid breathing, shock, mouth inflammation, heart rate increase

Chocolate: seizures, coma, hyperactivity, rapid heart beat, tremors, death. Bakers chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated but is still very dangerous.
1 oz per lb of body weight for (2 oz per kg) of body weight for bakers chocolate
1 oz per 3 lbs of body weight (1 oz per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate
1 oz per 9lbs of body weight (1 oz per 4 kg) for bakers chocolate
Please keep in mind that these are only guidelines, and if you suspect your pet had ingested chocolate, please keep an eye out for ANY signs of poisoning! Every dog reacts differently to quantity.
Coffee/Tea: Drinks/Foods: containing caffeine or sugar may cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Cooked Bones: uncooked bones should be safe but if they are cooked you should refrain because they deteriorate and easily splinter. Can cause extensive damage to internal organs and passage ways, may times resulting in death.

Mushrooms: acute gastric effects, liver and kidney damage, abdominal pain, nausea, salivation, vomiting

Nutmeg: tremors, seizures and death

Tobacco: nausea, salivation, vomiting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)

Onion: (cats are more sensitive), gastrointestinal upset, hemolytic anemia, heinz body anemia, hemogloinria, destroys red blood cells

Grapes, Raisins, Prunes: kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure

Salt: excessive intake can cause kidney problems

Raw Eggs- many people feed raw eggs to their dogs but keep in mind that they can contain salmonella. Dogs do have a higher immunity against salmonella poisoning but are not immune and have been reported to get it from uncooked eggs.

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Here's the ASPCA's list:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_dyk#7

beaumont
September 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
When I was living in Africa my dogs used to eat very ripes mangoes. These fruits have a lot of fibers and dogs benefit from eating them. At least my dogs.

However dogs will not eat mangoes from north american supermarkets when the fruits are hard as rocks with no flavor whatsoever.

glasslass
September 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
I buy dried mangos for a snack. Den-Den and Corky both go wild over them. I just give them small bites.