Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog dental problems and antibiotics

judy hart
July 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
My 14 year old dalmation has bad breath so needs dental surgery, she had blood test done shows slightly elevated liver so before surgery she is on antibiotics for 2 weeks then another liver test then surgery. Do you think she should have surgery sooner and then take antibiotics afterwards? Help Just want to do the right thing for her

badger
July 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I think you should follow your vet's advice. Your dog needs to be fit for the surgery, which is riskier in older animals. I never allow anything to be done to my cats when they are unwell, even vaccinations. Hopefully the meds will clear the problem and the surgery can go ahead safely.

BMDLuver
July 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Just as in humans undergoing dental surgery, there can be no infection prior to the surgery thus antibiotics are described in both cases.

Dr Lee
July 10th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I agree with the above posts. Sound like your vet is trying to go the safest road possible. The antibioitcs will also help with the dental pain because one of the greatest sources of dental pain is gingivitis caused by infection.

Trending the liver enzymes can be very useful to better understand the health status.

Good luck

rainbow
July 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I agree with everyone ans just wanted to say good luck with the surgery. :fingerscr :goodvibes: Also, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your girl. :dog: :pawprint: