Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swolen hips

erykah1310
July 8th, 2007, 10:49 PM
K, this is just a general inquiry, not one of my dogs, but a friends dog. I was out visiting today and while I was petting the dog, I noticed that on her back where her hip bones would be seemed awfully swollen.
I sorta prodded around to see if it hurt her but it didnt seem to.
Now, this dog is sorta on the hefty side, not fat, not really over weight, just solid. Could this be a sign of hip problems?? Seeing as though I am currently dealing with a dog with severe hips, I would like to sound the alarm to my friend, but again if its not I dont want to seem like Im preaching... sorta "get to the vet cause I would " sort of thing.

erykah1310
July 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
OH yeah, and I also noticed she had some pea sized lumps on her legs and one on her back ( we discussed this one though a bit)
Doesnt seem like fat or calcium deposits, well not like the deposits 2 of my guys have...
Could she have pimples??? Apparently they sort of burst.:shrug:

She eats great food and always has, and nothing has seemed to change in her environment other than aging.

mummummum
July 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Is there any sign of sway back or "lethargy" ? If I had known the signs with Ceili (but who can when they are that young...) I would have known that her lack of interest and ability to jump from her hinds and jump over things signalled a prob with her hips. Any problem that way ?

I can't speak to the swelling other than to note if it feeli like swelling to you Erykah (and methinks you've a wee bit of experience here yes ?)then it probably is not fat and should be checked by a Vet asap before it's too late to remediate.

Hopefully the dog just needs to lose weight ~ which it should any way and particularly if the owner (here's a way to hint-hint to her) doesn't want joint problems in the future !

Dr Lee
July 10th, 2007, 01:09 AM
This is a common question that I receive from clients. Hip joint swelling cannot be felt from the outside. The gluteal muscle which covers part of the hip joint has three layers in and of itself - the hip joint is just too deep. The only way that swelling from the hips is able to be felt from the outside is a large mass effect. (mass effects can include benign fat, hematomas, benign tumors, abscesses or cancer). A lot of dogs develop a 'shelf' of fat over the butt/hip region and may be hiding their fat better on the rest of their bodies.

I recommend that your friend visit her veterinarian. It may be something simple like fat deposits but should be checked out.

This is why hip radiographs (X-Rays) are needed anytime a question of hip problems comes up.

I hope this help. :pawprint:

Dr Lee
July 10th, 2007, 01:40 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/0/06/200px-Anterior_Hip_Muscles_2.PNG

Found this pic on the web - thought it might help. Was on www.answers.com