Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wounded squirrel

chico2
May 7th, 2004, 10:11 AM
My friend Roger,just picked up a wounded squirrel,wonder what the cats say about him :confused:
Bowser looks confused!!

Luba
May 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
You can take him to the Toronto Wildlife Centre

They should be kept in quiet darkness and warmth

Put a heating pad wrapped in a towel on low under the squirrel....to keep it warm so it doesn't go in shock.

BUT it shouldn't be traumatized with the bird around etc..

They go into shock and die very quickly if not warm and if destressed.
I've taken many many of them there myselff

416 631 0662

Keele and Sheppard
Downsview AFB

Bill & Bob
May 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
I'd agree about the dark, warm and no bird. Some buddies of mine lived in an old house and found a family of squirrels in the walls and attic. We went to the SPCA and they let us borrow a live trap that we put peanuts in on the roof. Ended up catching them all, but boy those little fellows don't like being in that cage at all. The sounds they make! I was almost scared to pick up the cage by the handle! They do get really freaked out though and I'm sure shock would be imminent with distractions around them. One of the little fellows we did catch was going nuts and then just stopped all of a sudden. I thought he was dead until we let him out of the cage and he ran up my pantleg! Rather embarrassingly I screamed like a girl (no offense ladies, it's just a phrase). My friends still bug me about that ten years later.
We ended up taking them to the really rich part of town and releasing them at a spot we found with lots and lots of trees where they'd be happy. We thought it would be funny to release them near all the mansions. Some old guy came out and yelled at us for doing it, but we just laughed.

chico2
May 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Not to worry,I was told the squirrel has been picked up and will be ok.
I once found a baby-squirrel on my frontlawn and three head-less ones.
I could not take him,but a friend of mine did,he was fine in a cage,but of course he did not spend much time there.We found out what to feed him and he grew up to be a healthy adult squirrel.He stuck around the house for a while,but eventually ventured away on his own.
It is of course different if you have an adult squirrel and I can imagine he would be frantic.
I have a tame squirrel,FiFi,but of course she is not in the house,but she is usually somewhere close when I am outside,she's been around for about 4 yrs.
Comes to me like a little doggie when I call her name,but I have never touched her.Here she is again :D

wAggie
May 10th, 2004, 08:37 PM
omgggg, i love the pix!!! squirrels do look like a joy to watch... too bad they run scared the instant they see one of the dogs run out :(