Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't Touch Me!

Lukka'sma
July 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Well hubby had the family over and we have to go through this bloody hugging and kissing rituale with each and every member. My biggest complaint about it is that all his sisters and aunts drench themselves in perfume and now with all this hugging I stink like a $$$$!!***.
GOD, why do people have to touch me. The smell of all these perfumes is clinging to me and I am about to puke. I have to leave for work now smelling this way and by tonight I will have such a headache because of the stench of myself.....I'm getting one now.
What is a polite way to wave people off and say hello without having them drape themselves around me. I'm quite fine with a "hello" and leave it at that. I never feel the need to touch anyone when I greet them....maybe I'm just over reacting but I don't like being touched!

Jim Hall
July 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I hear you ! I have worked in a place where all the girls wore perfume and i used to go home and the dog would not know who i was for a minute

hmm how to avoid being touched wear spikes/ make sure all the pets you brush ends up on your shirt?

sew together a bunch of those tingle mats they sell to discourage dogs/cats from jumoing on counters

Get a runny nose first and tell em you have the flu

Melinda
July 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
if you keep a couple of those wet naps handy, you can wipe off the smell of perfume with those, or dampen a cloth with rubbing alcohol. Wipe down your arms, hands and change your shirt, smell should be gone then

luckypenny
July 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Perfume gives me migraines as well. But, I'm a huggy/kissy kinda person too :o . I won't however hug someone who has just bathed in perfume (even hubby in the mornings when he's put on aftershave). All my friends and family knows it gives me migraines but when we have someone new over, I just tell them I'm allergic :o . They usually go wash most of it off in the bathroom without me asking :o :) .

Frenchy
July 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Get a runny nose first and tell em you have the flu

I would fake a cold too :D

glitterless
July 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM
My boyfriend's family is the same, so I can empathize with you! I don't think I've ever had a problem with perfume/cologne or anything, but I'm just kind of uncomfortable with his extended family and their friends hugging me. Whatever happened to a simple smile and handshake?

I have no problem with hugs from people that I know well, but hugging total strangers? Not for me!

My older dog barks when strangers touch me, though... I'll have to try to keep him nearby ;)

Kristin7
July 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I think sometimes it depends on local customs where one is from. I live in the Midwest, and rarely does anyone great w/ kisses, though hugs aren't uncommon. A funny story: I used to date someone from the East coast, where apparently in some families you kiss on both cheeks for a greeting. Not being familiar with this type of greeting at all, I was not sure what to do upon meeting his entire family at a wedding. While trying to figure it out, kissing one of his uncle's on both cheeks, I ended up kissing him right on the lips!! Ahhh!!! :eek:

Personally, I don't like touching during greetings or goodbye's either. Sometimes hugs are ok, but not w/ strangers (only close friends/family).

Rick C
July 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I think hugging a greeting is an Eastern Canadian thing . . . . in my world, you never see it.

Seriously.

We were out in Ottawa a few years ago for a friend's wedding and the first thing she did upon spying us was make a beeline for us and the hug/brush kiss thing . . . . and noticed immediately we had no idea what was up. Strangely, we got into a conversation of the cultural implications of the practice . . . . . happens lots in the East, rarely if ever in our world.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

papillonmama
July 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I know not everyone is comfortable with it, but I kind of like getting a hug from family and friends I haven't seen in a long time. I think because I live in Toronto and everyone tries so hard not to touch each other a lot of people get nervous when they are touched, accidentally or what not. So, it's kind of nice to share a warm touch from someone who means nothing by it except, I've missed you, or you're a dear friend, or it's nice to see you again, or whatever.

My ex's family is european and they always kissed both cheeks when they are saying hello or goodbye, you don't have to hug them or anything, just the kisses on the cheeks, so, I never had any problems with smelling like someone else.