Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did I expect Vlad to calm down too soon?

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM
So some of you know I neutered Vlad about a week ago this past Friday. While I had him neutered and Oksana spayed both for the health benefits and so they wouldn't add to the kitty population, I also thought that neutering Vlad would calm him down a bit.

Both kittens get along, but Vlad is larger than Oksana and sometimes they start off just playing, but then Vlad winds up getting a bit rough and poor Oksana winds up crying and running away.

Does it take some time for neutered cats to calm down? Should I talk to the vet?

Frenchy
July 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Not all the cats come down after neutering. And if they do , it always takes a couple of weeks before they do. The physical neutering is done, takes a bit more time for their brains to catch up :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I don't usually get into cat threads, being too overrun with dogs here to add a poor unsuspecting cat to the mix :p, but I'm wondering how old Vlad is? If he's quite young, the neuter won't change his energy level much--at least if kittens are anything like puppies. Neutering a puppy won't keep him from playing, getting into mischief, being a hellion, etc...but it will help calm him down as he gets older. Neutering an older dog can make him calmer, but it typically takes a number of weeks or months before all the excess testosterone is out of his system...so you don't often see an immediate change...

So it sounds like Vlad just maybe needs to grow up a little? Poor Oksana, though :grouphug: Maybe someone has some suggestions appropriate for cats on how to discourage Vlad from being so rough with her :fingerscr

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Vlad is going on 5 months and Oksana is going on 4. They do play quite a bit, she chases him and there are times when he allows her to nip at him and he lets her. When he does get rough the good thing is, she can hide in a few spots he's too big for.

What you said makes sense though, he is still a kitten so his running around all over and being playful is something he's going to do. And he was neutered only a week ago, so it also makes sense it might take a bit for all that testosterone to get out of his system.

jiorji
July 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
hehe neutering won't calm down any kitten :evil:

in a way i'm disappointed that some people neuter and spay as a means for behaviour changes not for the more important reason, that being no unplanned litters.

but since i have 2 cats as well i can tell you this...when there's 2 cats, there'll always be attempts to play fight no matter what you do to them. It's all in good fun for them even if there's some noise. If they play and then suddenly it gets too much and one walks away, I think that's just one has had enough playing and needs to be alone. Once they get older they'll be less willing to play with each other and I think you'll miss it, so enjoy it while you can :)

If you're worried about them hurting each other, just trim their claws and if the claws do come out in rough play, nobody will get injured :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
in a way i'm disappointed that some people neuter and spay as a means for behaviour changes not for the more important reason, that being no unplanned litters.

OH no, I didn't do it to modify their behavior. I have a boy and a girl, so I knew eventually there would be a litter, and mainly I did it also because I read they are less likely to develop testicular cancer and mammary cancer.

But yes, I do notice Oksana walks away when it gets to much for her, or should I say runs away!

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Not all the cats come down after neutering. And if they do , it always takes a couple of weeks before they do. The physical neutering is done, takes a bit more time for their brains to catch up :laughing:

That make sense. And he is still a kitty.

jiorji
July 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
OH no, I didn't do it to modify their behavior. I have a boy and a girl, so I knew eventually there would be a litter, and mainly I did it also because I read they are less likely to develop testicular cancer and mammary cancer.

But yes, I do notice Oksana walks away when it gets to much for her, or should I say runs away!

hehe that wasn't a comment towards you, i was just recalling many other posts where people neutered for behaviour:rolleyes: sigh...doesn't always work

i read that when 2 cats playfight and the one walks away, it means that's the weaker one and the leader is the one that remains

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Well in my case yes. Oksana is such a little thing, she's so delicate, at least that's how I see her. Vlad is more the extrovert and not only the first one I brought home, but like I said, he's much bigger than her. They're only a month apart, but he's twice her size. She's certainly the one who walks away. I do have to say that I'm happy he's protective of her. When someone comes over and gets to close to her if she's asleep, he immediately rushes to her side and protects her, its so cute.