Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any Suggestions

lisab123
July 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hi all I am new, but I have a questions....Okay, so obviously I know I have to take my dog to the vet, the vet has been called, and they said it wasn't an emergency so they would see him on Wednesday!

So...here I am, hoping that you can tell me whether I should press to get in sooner or just wait until wed.

I have a black lab/sheppard/collie mix, he is 4 years old...he is food and possession aggressive...anyways, I have noticed he has not so much stopped eating, but just doesn't really seem all the interested, he eats about a cup of his 2.5 cups of food he gets a day (going on for about 2ish weeks). I thought maybe the heat was playing a role so I didn't really worry to much about it, then it cooled down A LOT and he still wasn't really eating. I also started to notice that he isn't drinking a lot either, he is usually a cow when it comes to water, and he has maybe drank half a bowl of water in the LAST 2 days (usually drink a bowl or more, he drinks out of the standard stainless steel dog bowls). Even when I took him for his walk, when we came home he didn't drink any water.... I have checked his poop, seems normal, and so is he pee...not vomitting, sometimes he does, but it hasn't been recently. Sometimes he makes this weird hacking noise, sounds like he is trying to clear his throat, but again, not made all the time, and sometimes he coughts, but again not constant. I noticed his breathing is a little weird, but then I am not sure what was normal before...it is almost like he breaths in, but then takes two short breaths at the same time....He has been pretty moppy around the house too, clingy to me...yet will still go for walks and play around outside.... Oh I also have been checking his gums, and they look a little on the pale pink side, but then could that be because he isn't drinking?

So, should I press to get in sooner or wait until Wednesday, does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,
Lisa

Frenchy
July 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Maybe he has something stuck in his troat for some time now ? Have you told the vet about the coughing ?

lisab123
July 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I did tell them about the coughing and breathing and the vet tech said it didn't sound like an emergency, told them everything I have told you here! The coughing isn't a constant thing either, it is maybe a once every week or so....

I personally think they don't want him in because he has to be tranqulized to go the vet's office because he is aggressive and gets scared so he lashes out!

NoahGrey
July 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think when you pet is not eating/drinking regulary it is a emergency. Animals can become dehyrdated very quickly. Also you said that he drinks like a cow. If he is drinking to much, there might be a problem. I would ask your vet also about this. Also ask about his coughing. I would call your vet back and see if you can get in earlier. Express your concerns again and he is eating/drinking less since the last time you talked. If they don't do anything. I would change Vet's.

ACO22

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
It sure doesn't sound too much like an emergency...certainly it's been ongoing for a while. I tend to be a bit paranoid about the dogs' health around here, though, and I know it would be bugging me all week till I could get him in. So I'd probably opt for an earlier appt if I could get one, just for my peace of mind.

The reduced drinking would bother me more than anything--especially since you said it was hot. For sure watch the gums--since you knew to check them in the first place, you know to call the vet if they get paler.

I can't tell you how many times we've had our dogs in for a checkup because they were a bit "off" only to find out it was nothing. With setters it happens when they're about 3 or 4... they lose energy, don't eat as much, spend more time lounging around. We even have a name for it: SSMS (Sudden Setter Maturity Syndrome). They contract it at that magical age when they turn from little hellions to couch potatoes. :o We've put our vet's kids through college just from the times we've brought dogs in thinking they were sick when they were just experiencing SSMS. :p But even those trips have been worth the money for us just in terms of peace of mind. :grouphug:

I don't think they're worried about the aggression...they'll have to see him eventually and a few more days won't change either the aggression or (likely) the outcome of the visit. But if something changes to really worry you--I wouldn't hesitate to call for an earlier visit.

Anyway, with luck, it's nothing :fingerscr Please remember to keep us posted after the vet appointment on Wed.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, lisab! :D I'd be remiss if I didn't also ask you for pictures of your furbaby! Got any to post? :fingerscr

otter
July 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
If you feel uncomfortable maybe try calling another vet - to see if they maybe could see you sooner and/or, just to get a second opinion.
You know your dog best - your vet will be giving you his/her opinion based on what they have seen in their experience, if you really think things seem "off" by all means insist he gets seen sooner - that's most definitely your right.

I hope you get to figure out what's wrong and that it's nothing serious. Please, let us know.

NoahGrey
July 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=lisab123;448965]I did tell them about the coughing and breathing and the vet tech said it didn't sound like an emergency.QUOTE]

WHAT...Coughing and breathing is not a emgerency....She sounds like she needs to go back to school. Also..dogs coughing is NOT normal...wheather it is only once in awhile. It could be an underline problem and could progress into a BIG issue..

I would change Vets ASAP

ACO22

lisab123
July 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Everyone!

I have considered a new vet for a while, just cause of how they have treated me in the past...its a long story! But we haven't been in a LONG time because they gave him a 2 year vaccinations the last time I was there just so I didn't have to bring him in!

Anyways, I think I will call the emergency vet tonight, (I am at work, on a sunday...boo...working in the tourism industry...) I will see how he is when I get home, if he has had anything to drink, and if he eats his food tonight! Last night I think it finally might have clicked in that he was hungry, so he ate more then he usually has in the past week or so...

He did drink a lot before, like a lot a lot! Sometimes he would drink almost a whole bowl of water in one sitting...

I do have pictures, but not here with me at work...and I don't even know how to go about posting them..lol...

Anyways, thanks everyone!