Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male choc. lab trouble urinating.

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM
My 12 year old lab Gambit is having trouble urinating. He can only force out drips, it started last night and is the same this morning. So what could be the problem? He was at the vet not long ago and he didn't notice any kind of cancer. Urinary infection maybe?

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
It could be a UTI...could also be prostate problems (not too uncommon in older intact dogs...is he neutered?)...could be a lot of things. Unfortunately, it's not something you can diagnose over the internet--I think you're going to have to take him back to the vet. Bring a urine sample if you can manage it--it might save some time when you get to the vet. I wouldn't hold off, though--if he's unable to pass more than a few drops at a time, his bladder is getting very full--that's not only uncomfortable, but dangerous.

Honestly, if it were my boy, I'd have him in to the emergency vet this morning! Good luck and keep us posted on what the vet says! :fingerscr

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I tried to palpate for bladder stones but not being a vet I don't know that they feel like. I'm thinking it is either that or UTI. I will try to get him to the vet as quick as possible. I hope surgery for bladder stones doesn't cost to much in case it is that. I don't want to have to take out a loan or anything to help my dog.

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Crap I can't get off work today. Do you think it will be safe for him to go one more day? He can pass some urine so I'm hoping any type of kidney damage won't occur.

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Crap I can't get off work today. Do you think it will be safe for him to go one more day? He can pass some urine so I'm hoping any type of kidney damage won't occur.

I wouldn't... No vets open late today? Any chance of getting him in on your lunch break?

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Well I was able to get him to the animal ER. He's got bladder stones :sad: He is getting surgery tonight and I'm pretty nervous. The hardest part was when I had to leave and he knew he was staying. I'm going to be in debt for a while the surgery will be $1500+ probably more around $2000. Even if the surgery was 5 grand I would have found a way to pay for it. Well lets hope for the best!:pray:

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Here are some pics of the big fella.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j216/BLS33/gambit4.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j216/BLS33/gambit3-1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j216/BLS33/gambitshirt.jpg

Winston
July 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
We will all be sending good vibes for your guy! I hope all goes well with the surgery...your right I would not care how much it costs! The pics are great! Thanks for sharing them with us! Keep us posted on your doggy!

Cindy

:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Gambit needs surgery, Zappa. :grouphug: It's worrisome...but he's in good hands. We'll keep our :fingerscrs and :pawprint:s crossed for you...and throw in some :goodvibes: for good measure...

He looks like a real sweetheart! :lovestruck:

Is he singing in the shirt picture? :laughing: I'll bet he has a beautiful voice! :thumbs up

Keep us posted on how the surgery goes! :grouphug: :pray: :fingerscr

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
He is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever been around. He has given me so many great years this is the least I could do. I will find out later tonight how the sugery went and will keep you all updated!

Thanks for the good vibes :D

rainbow
July 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Gambit is a handsome boy. :lovestruck: Sending lots of good luck for his surgery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Zappa
July 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Just got a call from the vet, and he made it through just fine :highfive: They are going to keep him an extra day just in case any complications arise. I am really relieved!

luckypenny
July 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hooray for Gambit :thumbs up . Glad you brought him in promptly to be treated. Hoping he'll recover quickly and be back home with you soon :fingerscr :goodvibes: .