Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog died unexpectly

GymnastMom1
May 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM
:( Our 7 yr old Goldie just died on Tuesday, May 4. 2004. We are all so sad. Maybe someone could shed some light. Heres the situation. At 7:15 am my husband said that the dog threw up and looked a little sick and I said I will take him to the vet right after I get my brakes on my car fixed. I had a 8 am appt. In any event, I got home around noon and I saw him laying on the ground (fenced in backyard) and I jogged up to him sayin what a goof he was still sleeping..... He was dead. I was horrified, I couldnt breathe and well basically I am sure you can imagine HYSTERICAL.... So my husband came put him in the back of the truck and brought him to the vet. They orginally thought it was Bloat, took an xray and it ruled bloat out. I really want to know what happened to my buddy. They did an autopsy, they found that he had fluid in the abodominal cavity (fluid was sent to the lab) and a slightly enlarged spleen and some gas in the intestines. She said his heart, liver and kidneys were fine. They are also testing some tissue samples. Basically they have no idea why our dog died. We are truly in a fog, we cant believe it. Also our other dog who is a 5 yr old male shepard who has been with the retriever since day one is confused and obviously despressed. Is there anything I can do to help him, he comes everywhere with me but Im still not his good buddy. Please help if anyone has any idea what could of killed our wonderful dog.

amaruq
May 6th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Could he have been poisoned? Do you all have anti freeze laying around?

I'm so very sorry for your lose.

cmt489
May 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Re Amaruq's question of poisoning - where do you live? The reason I asked is that it was in the news this morning that dogs are being poisoned in North Vancouver. They suspect it may be a powder like substance that someone is leaving out in parks there. :mad: :mad: :mad: Don't you wish that you could catch these people so that they could get what they really deserve :mad: :mad: :mad:

Michelle

Edited to say - I forgot to mention that I am VERY sorry for your loss. Losing a dear loved pet is never easy, especially when it is completely unexpected. :(

chico2
May 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I am sure we are all very sorry for your loss,it's very hard,especially finding your dog dead :(
If he had no other symptoms before that,some kind of poison sounds very likely.

GymnastMom1
May 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Could he have been poisoned? Do you all have anti freeze laying around?

I'm so very sorry for your lose.


The vet said that she didnt think it was poisening... That was my first thought. She said the liver looked fine and he would have thrown up some black, purple or green stuff, which I didnt see and his tougue would of been black. Which is wasnt. But I still keep wondering why it was so unexpected.

Bill & Bob
May 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Sorry about your poochie. Hope the other one gets through this. I agree with the vet about the liver being harmed if it was poison though. I wonder if you'll know more once you get the results of the lab work. Hope so.

I heard about the poison being found at the parks in North Vancouver too. Not too long ago I was up at the park near Nat Bailey. My friends dog and mine were running around, then they stopped and started snarling at each other over something on the ground. Bob picked it up in his mouth and dropped it pretty quick. Then they both left it after a sniff. I went up to check on it and it looked like a larger piece of raw chicken breast. Wasn't part of a wild bird carcass. Didn't look very nice though. We tossed it in the garbage bin.
My wonder was how did a piece of processed chicken breast get into the park all by itself, and why did the dogs sniff it and not want anything to do with it. My friend and I figured it had to be poisoned. Nothing happened to Bob though.
Not too long ago there was nasty poisoning going on in some park in Toronto I seem to remember. 10 dogs got really sick and 1 died I think.

GymnastMom1
May 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
im sorry to hear that about the poisening in the parks. its just terrible... I live in Mass so i wasnt near it.. so you do believe that if the liver was fine then it wasnt poisening.........i hope your right.. i just cant sleep know ing they may do it to my other buddy.............im still so upset and i really dont think ill ever get over my Rusty..........He was such an awesome friend........... thanks for your help

Luba
May 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Thats very sad, So sorry to here of your loss.