July 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
As if we don't have enough to worry about here! Our other kitty has a runny eye (clear watery discharge) and has been sneezing. The sneezing has persisted for some days now but the runny eye, I just noticed today. Still eating, playing, drinking, etc. Can it wait til Monday to see the Vet (when we bring the other one in for the lump) or should I be calling immediately for antibiotics?
July 8th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Since the kitten is still active, playful and eating, it sounds like you can wait till monday as long as that behavior continues. Other things to watch for - if the eye become yellow/green and/or so much inflammation that you cannot see the cornea (clear portion) welll - these are other reasons you may want to see a veterinarian sooner.
Things to do in the meantime to help out: when you guys shower, keep the kitten in the room (not getting the kitten wet). The steam can help clear the sinus passages and help him/her breathe easier. Keep the eyes clear with warm compresses and/or saline (doesn't sound like that is a problem since the discharge is clear right now).
P.S. - if things worsen and you are concerned - send a picture!
July 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I'm keeping a close eye on her and the discharge is copious but perfectly clear. And it's only the right eye (??) We just moved from the southwest US to the northeast US, so I'm sort of wondering if she maybe has allergies, but we've been here for over a month and this just came up. I should mention that our other cat gets URIs when she is stressed, so maybe this one caught it (it is a latent virus, is it not?). The reason I think this is because they were recently cat-sat at another house while we were out of town, maybe the stress of that triggered it. But as of now, she is still playful, has a good appetite, all that good stuff, so I'll wait til tomorrow and bring both critters to the vet.