Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weight Loss and Building Endurance

PetFriendly
July 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Ok, so I need to help Charley loose a pound and build up his endurance. He really likes agility, so do I, but he simply does not have the endurance needed. Our agility trainer, and our regular trainer for that matter both say he could stand to loose some weight. Being a type 1 diabetic I am keenly aware of the energy in = energy out equation.

So, we have cut down his food a bit and will be switching it over to a higher protein, low/no carb type stuff (Innova Evo or Origen, depends on which my favorite pet store can order). We have started power walking for a good 40 minutes daily (with me dragging poor Charley after 20 minutes) regardless of what kind of other exercise he may already have gotten. On top of playing in the back yard, day care once a week, off leash dog park once a week, two one hour agility classes and usually one 40 minute agility practice session per week.

Being the very impatient human that I am, how long will it take to see results? For anyone not familiar with Charley, he is a Pomeranian mixed with Shih tzu currently tipping the scales at 16.4 lbs. All the treats we use for training are healthy and meat based, and he usually doesn't get a meal if we will be training for more than an hour.

Dr Lee
July 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Exact time line for noticeable change is hard to predict as it is individual. My goal is to see some improvement as opposed to no change or worsening. As long as you are in the right direction, that is great news.

A caveat.
Generally pets really like to please and they love to go for walks. They will always give it their best so if they are falling behind, it is because they are tired. I recommend resisting the urge to push them too far beyond that point. People need a lot of coaxing; dogs lives are often just to please so once you've noticed they are falling behind, they are really tired. If the exercise is consistent, then they will naturally be able to go farther and farther as their cardiovascular endurance picks up. If you make sure you get them to where they are just beginning to fall behind - their cardiovascular system will be stimulated to improve.

If you are not noticing improvement or Charley slows down faster despite a regular schedule; then a trip to the veterinarian is warrented. Make sure collapsed trachea etc.. is not present.

As far as feeding, one suggestion, if you aren't already doing it - spread out the meals. Like people, one big meal enhances fat production - many small meals helps maintain a better metabolism.

I am sure some of the other members here can add some great dietary suggestions!

PetFriendly
July 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM

If you make sure you get them to where they are just beginning to fall behind - their cardiovascular system will be stimulated to improve.

If you are not noticing improvement or Charley slows down faster despite a regular schedule; then a trip to the veterinarian is warranted. Make sure collapsed trachea etc.. is not present.

As far as feeding, one suggestion, if you aren't already doing it - spread out the meals. Like people, one big meal enhances fat production - many small meals helps maintain a better metabolism.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about pushing him. We'll call it quits now when he falls behind and is dragging. Maybe we'll switch some of our walks for agility practicing, then its easier to call it quits when he's tired (we just get in the car instead of having to walk home!)

And if it doesn't pick up we'll go to the vet for a blood panel. It isn't a collapsed trachea, his is weak so he's always walked on a harness that doesn't aggravate it.

He's eating two meals per day, always has because I was paranoid about hypoglycemic reactions when he was a pup, and we never moved away from the two meals.

PetFriendly
July 8th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Is exercise like, food, more shorter walks are better than a single longer walk?