Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shepherd with bloated stomach

lazarus_04
July 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hey everybody. I have a problem I hope you guys can help me with. I have an 8 year old female german shepherd named K-C that seems to have a bloated stomach. I called the vet to ask if there was anything I could give her for it. I should have known it would do no good. I don't know if its vet clinics in general or if its just the one we go to, but whenever we call for advice on the simplest thing, we just end up getting a big lecture. (''My dog took a tumble out in the field yesterday, and she's a limping a tad this morning. How much aspirin can I give her for the pain? She's about 90 lbs.'' ''You should never self-medicate your pet. You should bring her in right away so that we can give her proper effective pain killers.'') :frustrated:

At first I was afraid she might be suffering from Bloat, the one with a capital B. The one that is often fatal in a matter of hours. :eek: But the thing is, she's been green around the gills for three or four days now and I've just noticed her slightly bigger than it should be belly, although, she could have had it before today without us noticing. She is a bit on the chunky side... :rolleyes: She doesn't vomit or seem agitated. Neither does she drool excessively. In fact, she hasn't been drooling at all lately. We checked her gums to see if she was going into shock. She isn't. She's not pacing... :confused:

She's eating, peeing and pooing like clockwork. I spent most of the day with her yesterday, and..man, she must have sold her rear end to the devil at some point, because her farts could only come from the bowells of hell itself! :yuck: But then, she's always passed wind that could nock you out for a week! :laughing: These are the reasons why I doubt she has Bloat.

The only symptoms she has is a slightly enlarged stomach, which is obviously a discomfort to her. :sad: She's drinking alot of water, and she will lay down more often than not instead of just standing like she usually would. But I figure that's probably also because of her bloated belly. Has anybody here ever had this happen to their dog? Is it possible for some foods to cause a dog to become bloated like humans? Is there anything I could give her that would help. It'll probably pass eventually, but still...should I bring her to the vet? I really don't know what to do...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blathach
July 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Welcome to Pets.ca lazarus_04,

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition.

In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.