Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puncture in dog's paw pad - Answered by Dr. Lee

pitgrrl
July 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
A couple of nights ago the dogs and I accidently walked through a broken light bulb and Streets got a very small puncture on one of his feet. It is obviously painful as he is hesitant to put his full weight on that foot when he is on a hard surface.

We've been to the vet, it's not infected and she could not see of feel any obvious signs that anything was stuck in the paw (though again, it's so tiny one would be hard pressed to see much of anything). She recommended soaking it a few times a day, but I just wonder if there is anything else I could be doing to help draw out anything that might be stuck in there.

Any ideas?

ETA: obviously I should, at the very least, be checking the spelling in my subject line.....:laughing:

Dr Lee
July 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Pad punctures usually heal up well with little interference. If you are worried about something stuck inside. Warm compresses and/or epson salt foot soaks can help. Flushing the wound with saline or betadine solution can help dislodge anything that may be left inside.

Good luck:pawprint:

chico2
July 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
WOW,Dr Lee,I see you posting more and more often with helpful advice,that's great!! Thank you!

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I agree with that. We are very fortunate to have Dr. Lee here. :thumbs up :angel:

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Pitgrrl, how is Streets? :fingerscr

chico2
July 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I meant to ask that too,sorry:sad:
We all know how painful it can be to have just a tiny piece of glass in your foot,I hope Streets will be ok:fingerscr

Dr Lee
July 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Chico2 and rainbow,

Thanks! I enjoy working with everyone here. It is great to meet so many pet lovers!:cat: :dog:

pitgrrl
July 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
He's doing okay, still jumping around like a maniac, just doesn't like putting his full weight on the foot. I've been soaking it though, so hopefully if there is anything in there it will come out.