Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy made a hole in my wall!!

crazyforcats
July 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I am so upset! Our 8-month old puppy scratched a hole in our wall yesterday. This morning I caught her chewing at it - the hole is so deep now!! The wall is in an area where putting furniture in front of the spot is impossible. How else can I stop her from doing this? Please help!

joeysmama
July 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Oh that's terrible, and it can't be good for the puppy to ingest that material !! When Cooper was very young he tried to chew on wires and table legs from time to time but we never left him unsupervised and we corrected him and moved him away from the temptation every time, giving him something more acceptable, like a rawhide.

I wish I had an easier answer but the only thing I can think of is to watch him like a hawk. And I know that you probably were watching him. Please don't think that I'm implying that you weren't. Puppies are pretty fast when they're determined to get into trouble. I just spent the morning washing my sofa and sofa pillows because my guy jumped up and knocked a full mug of coffee all over.:o

I have a friend who swears by apple bitters. I've never tried it but she says that it kept her dog from chewing and they also used it for other behaviors. I think it may work for some dogs and others think it's tasty.:shrug:

crazyforcats
July 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Thank you joeysmama. Actually, no - I wasn't watching Roxy - but she's been house-trained for a couple months now, and she has free-run of the the main floor all day (while I work downstairs with children - I can take Roxy outside when she needs to go, and spend time with her during the kids' nap-time). Until yesterday we had absolutely no problems. This morning when she chewed on the spot I was only about 10 feet away - again, I wasn't paying attention until I heard the suspicious sounds...

sugarcatmom
July 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Does Roxy have enough chew-toys? If you don't already have some of the ones that you can fill with food, I'd recommend a couple of those to keep her busy: http://www.sitstay.com/store/toys/toysa.shtml

crazyforcats
July 7th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Roxy has nearly every chew toy available! Nylon bones, raw-hide bones, soft stuffies, rope bones, kong, squeekies, balls.... She uses them all and we replace them frequently.

mummummum
July 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Good suggestions Sugar and JM, I would add that you might want to (yes, if you can find me you can hit me with the foam bonker thingy :D ) increase her exercise in the morning so she is exhausted for the morning.

Eight months is still a big ball of energy. Can you RUN her hard for at least n hour before you daycare kiddlies come in the morning. After a quick RUN in the afternoon (or at least let her out in your fenced backyard to get the zoomies out) you could try a kong stuffed with half her breakfast kibble.

BMDLuver
July 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I suggest you get her a crate. She's now at the stage where she will start to destroy your house. Housetrained doesn't just mean potty breaks but all out not touching a thing. You were lucky she ate the gyproc and not the baseboard or that the wall was non insulated, that could have been very serious for her.

crazyforcats
July 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
She's out in the yard for as long as she wants in the morning (and throughout the day) - which usually isn't very long before she starts barking to come back in. I can't take her for walks in the morning - I also have 2 young children and hubby is gone to work by 6am - it would just be too much in the morning! I'm already disorganized enough!!! Lol! But I do take her for a walk every evening.

She's in a really good routine, where she's very mellow in the mornings, and starts to get restless later in the afternoon - which is fine, because she's not left alone much for those 3 hours in the afternoon - she usually spends a couple of those 3 hours in the yard with the kids.

And she has had a crate since day one. We only use it now for travelling and at night-time.

crazyforcats
July 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
mummummum - I will try the kong stuffed with some of her breakfast. If nothing else, it will at least occupy her for a while.