Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I being neurotic? Dog question

mysticalpixel
July 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I have just adopted a dog. She's a 1 1/2 year old Boxer, and I've had her for a little over a week now.
THe first couple days she was fine, very playful, almost overly affectionate, eating well (though she's a bit picky and won't eat dry food unless it's mixed with canned food as well) and happy to go wherever I was going.
Then, a couple days ago she started acting a little weird, she started balking at getting intot he car when she had previously jumped right in; she shies away from coming up the stairs to my apartment, and has gotten quite stubborn-refusing to come outside (or wherever) even with a leash on. I literally had to pick her up and put her outside. But once she was out, she was frisky as ever and happy to be going on a walk and playing, etc. Her appetite has also been going way down, she won't even eat the treats she loved a couple days ago and will only drink water if I mix it with some broth or wet food.
I checked her poop today and it seemed fine, no blood, diarea or anything, and she otherwise seems healthy and alert, no vomitting, and when I can get her interested in food she seems to eat well, especially if it's human food.
Is it just getting used to the new life, the heat (I live in CA where we're getting 100+ days, so figure maybe the not wanting to go out might be part of that?)or something else easy to explain or should I be concerned that my dog is sick?

luckypenny
July 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hello :) .

If she hasn't been to see a vet since you've adopted her, a check up would be a very good idea to rule out parasites, hip/joint problems ( is what I was thinking about seeing she doesn't like the stairs nor jumping into the car), etc. She may also be feeling car sick if she's refusing to get in.

I wouldn't start feeding her human food at this point because if she's just a finicky eater, you're going to have a hard time getting her back to eating kibble. I would also take her out very early in the morning or once the sun has started to set in case she's heat intolerant (one of my dogs refuses to go outdoors during the day if it's too warm).

rainbow
July 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I agree with everything Luckypenny said. Did the really hot weather just start a couple of days ago too? Definitely do not start feeding her people food yet. Put her on a premium holistic kibble ....there's lots of good information on our Food Forum here.

Jim Hall
July 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
She thinks now ahh haaa i'm gonna get spoiled human food
concern when i dont want to do something she's got your number all right
seriously when you adopt an animal a trip to the vet is always in order
believe me it will take a lot of stress out of your life to know your dog is healthy I had a boxer and know a few that have/has them and i am convicnded all boxers are a little bit nuts

mysticalpixel
July 7th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah, a friend politely called her "sensitive" which made my mom comment that people really do attract animals that fit their personalities. :)
As far as food, I have been feeding her an organic/all natural food, but gave her a little treat the other night, which she seemed happier to eat than her own food.
Generally I think she is, as Jim Hall said, just a little nuts, but I suppose that's to be expected from an abused dog.
Definitely have a vet checkup in the plan for the next week, but I want to get the paperwork from the rescue shelter before doing that.
Thanks for all the input, I think I'll try to adjust her feeding habits (like feed her somewhere with less distractions and "ruckus" around) and jkeep her well out of the heat- which did just start in the last couple days, and see what happens. She seems to have perked up quite a bit this afternoon, so I'm tending to think she's just got a case of the mopes.

Lukka'sma
July 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Good luck with her.