Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Underweight cat

Kristin7
July 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
While visiting my new man's apartment recently, I met his cat for the first time. She is very sweet, but looks like skin and bones. At the time, he said she has always been like this... she is 11 and probably only weights about 5 lbs, is VERY skinny. I realize my cats are slightly overweight, but when I look at his cat, I am scared something might be wrong with her. He said he had asked the vet about it in the past, and they said some cats are just like this. I haven't seen too many quite this thin (one maybe, that wasn't a stray). Then, yesterday, he told me he thought she had recently lost weight (I first met her about a week ago). She is eating and drinking like usual, he said, but suspects she may be affected by the heat as his apartment is not air conditioned. Also, perhaps she is eating slightly less and he hasn't noticed. Maybe she is lonely as he hasn't been there as much as usual? I am going to work on him to bring her to a vet, but just wondering what some possible things might be that would cause this? Also, does anyone else have a cat that is very boney but otherwise healthy? He absolutely adores this cat and would be crushed if anything was wrong with her, but he has limited funds so it may not be easy to convince him she should go to a vet. She has been eating Purina, and I think I have talked him into switching to a better food... :fingerscr Just trying to tread lightly here as this relationship is new and don't want to overstep my bounds, or insult him somehow, but I am worried about his sweet little cat. Any advice would be appreciated!

Jim Hall
July 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Make your frEind and his cat a present of a trip to the vet
also ceck out the sites that let you get isurance its only abouT $20 A MONTH

Love4himies
July 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Good idea to change to a better quality food. If you can find special treats that she really likes, you may be able to pack some weight on her that way.

Any idea if she has Siamese/Burmese in her? If so she may be naturally skinny. She is considered senior and should have bloodwork done.

My cats tend to eat noticebly less on hot days too.

Kristin7
July 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I am not sure what she has in her, but she does look angular like certain Oriental breeds. But, that could just be because she's so skinny. She has apparently always been very thin, but recently he noted some weight loss on top of that. When a cat is that thin to begin with she doesn't have much to lose before she fades away to nothing... he's thinking of giving her kitten food of whatever new brand he finds. Perhaps I can go shopping with him to help him pick out a better food... I'd really like her to see a vet, though, but she is not my cat so will have to try diplomacy (yes, maybe this vet visit could be a 'gift', lol).

rainbow
July 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
She is 11 yr. old and it could be a number of things causing her to lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is fairly common and, of course, cancer. :sad: Although, I really think she should be fed a premium holistic brand of food, I think it is more important to get her to a vet as soon as possible. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: