Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my puppy has ring worm - Answered by Dr. Lee

ilovemydog70
July 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
my puppy is two months old and has ringworm. is there any over the counter meds i can use that wont harm him? im on a tight budget and his first appointment with a vet isnt until the end of the month. any suggestions will be helpful. thanks so much:dog:

LavenderRott
July 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM
While your budget may well be tight - ringworms can be transmitted to humans and can be a real pain to treat.

You might want to move up that vet appointment before you have to schedule a Dr. appt. for you. :D

Dr Lee
July 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Many over the counter antifungal medications work. Miconazole is a great ringworm killer. It is a common active ingredient in athlete's foot sprays and in Monistat. While there are no studies as to the safety of dogs eating/licking these human formulations; I haven't heard of problems. There are also antifungal dog shampoos available at pet stores.

You need to continue to treat for usually four weeks or more. And as LavenderRott pointed out. Ringworm is CONTAGIOUS to people. Make sure to you talk to your veterinarian for the best treatment and methods to help reduce transmission to humans.

Also FYI - cats can often be carriers.

Good luck:pawprint: