Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jealousy and leash pulling....

chrisxna
July 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
hi, i just adopt a 1yr female siberian husky from shelter, it appears to be a super friendly dog with humans, but just not to other dogs? before i used to bring my 2 siberian husky to dog park almost everyday, let them makes friends and run around, my old dog seems very social w/ other dogs.. but my new dog, whenver dog comes to me and try to get my attention, she will go run after it and try to bite it... she get jealous to all the dogs.. what should i do?
both of my dogs have the leash pulling problem.. i try the cholk chain but seems like no use, and i try the "stop", but it just work for few secs... what should i do? hope u guys can help me..

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Choke chains are not very effective, and can hurt your dog's throats (IMO).

I would try something like a Gentle Leader or a Haltie for starters, and if that doesn't work, get a qualified trainer to show you how to use a prong collar. We had to use one for our older dog, and it's worked like a charm, and she has no qualms about wearing it.

You are seeing aggressive behaviour with your younger dog, and it needs to be adressed now. I would strongly suggest seeing a trainer in a one-on-one situation and work on this behaviour. Have you done any obedience classes with your dogs?

chrisxna
July 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM
yes, my old dog already took the classes, but i just adopt this new dog, so maybe i have to see a trainer or sth....thx!!

Carnac
July 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Duplicate thread. Please see: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42248

This thread will now be closed to avoid confusion.