Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Prozac?

heather17021977
July 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
So we took Stewie to the vet tonight to get his urine checked again...he's peed on the bed again and tried two other times but we caught him in time. Anyways, the vet thinks it behavioural as he has nothing wrong with his urine anymore. He put him on prozak to calm his nerves. he thinks something ios stressing him out. I dont really like the idea of the pills but I agreed to try it for one month only. I think we'll just have to not let him in the room for a while.

Frenchy
July 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I've been there with one of my cats (who's no longer with us :rip: ) and altough I don't remember the pills name , it did work out. It was really hard to give her the meds , but if your cat takes it , I'm sure it will get better. :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
July 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
What about trying something like Feliway (http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html)? It's a synthetic version of the pheromones in cat's cheeks, which is considered to be a "happy" scent and can help to make them feel at ease. There's a spray bottle version that you can spray on places where the cat is inappropropriately urinating, and also a plug-in room diffuser to keep a constant flow of scent in the atmosphere (it's not detectable by humans). My vet uses the diffusers in all the exam rooms of her clinic to help calm down nervous kitties. Might be worth a shot.

krdahmer
July 5th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Fagan took the kitty prozac, (amitryptiline or something like that) for almost 6 months. It worked well at calming him down. Just watch the food intake and try to keep him active as Fagan gained a LOT of weight while on the pills due to him not wanting to be active and sleeping more.

I wouldn't recommend long term use, but it may give you a break and maybe break him of this bad habit. :goodvibes:

heather170277
July 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Yes thats what we're hoping...short-term usage. I've read about the feliway stuff as well. For now we are also shutting the door to that room in particular so he can't go in there and have the urge to pee on the bed.

2 attempts and 2 actual pees on that bed...2 pees on our sofa, 1 pee on our patio umbrella (while inside on the floor), 1 pee on a chair in the basement.

Where could I get the feliway? I live in Halifax, NS?

Thanks!!!

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have a kitty who will likely be on anti-anxiety meds for the rest of her life...mainly for aggressive behaviour. She's been on a few kinds, and I can't for the life of me remember any of their names. We're all happy with the one she's on right now. It's helped us (and the rest of the furry kids) tremendously...it's nice because only the sweet part of her personality shines through now (for the most part)...and there aren't any negative side effects that we can see. We are lucky because she tolerates taking the pills better than any cat I've every had to give medication to. She doesn't like it, mind you, but she tolerates it.

sugarcatmom
July 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Where could I get the feliway? I live in Halifax, NS?

Hmmm, well I know you can get it at PetSmart, but I don't think there is one in Halifax, is there? Do you have any friends/relatives in another city with a PetSmart? Some vet clinics carry it, but at a considerably higher price. You could also try ordering it online, or go the eBay route, which would probably be the cheapest option (most of the sellers are in the U.S. though).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your quest.

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
You can order it on Amazon, or if you just do a search you can order it from a few places on line. Petsmart and petco online both sell them, so it shouldn't be hard for you to get your hands on some if you need to.:)

sugarcatmom
July 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
You can order it on Amazon, or if you just do a search you can order it from a few places on line. Petsmart and petco online both sell them, so it shouldn't be hard for you to get your hands on some if you need to.:)

Actually Amazon.com won't ship Feliway to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't carry it. PetSmart does ship to Canada but the shipping charges are stupidly high, so she'd be better off trying to find a Feliway source within Canada.

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I wonder if it would be a problem to just buy it here and ship it to her. If she needed it bad enough, I'd get it for her and ship it.

heather17021977
July 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I hope the pills or feliway helps because when Stewie plays with Bruno, sometimes he gets a little rough with him and makes him "cry" and I have to break it up with a loud bang or clap of the hands.

ammcqueen
August 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Heather,
I am working on a story about this for a newspaper in Canada...any chance you'd want to talk to me about your experiences and thoughts?
Sorry to bug you on the message board.
Best,
annmarie.mcqueen@sunmedia.ca