Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I stop my cat from licking my eyelids?

LuvMyCats
July 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I have read about why cats lick their owners and I am very honored that she thinks of me as a feline equal, but unfortunately she licks my eyelids around 4 am almost everynight. This obviously wakes me up numerous times during the night. I have tried to shut her out of the bedroom, but the noise that she and my other cat make while outside makes it even harder to sleep.

How do I stop my cat from licking my eyelids (gross, I know) in the middle of the night without "offending" her?

Thanks for the tips in advance. I am very tired. :cat:

sugarcatmom
July 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Wear goggles?? :laughing:

Seriously though, I have no idea except maybe trying to make your eyes less accessible (pillow over your face until she goes away?). I've heard of some cats that have eyelash fetishes, perhaps that's what's going on here.

krdahmer
July 6th, 2007, 12:35 AM
:laughing: Wow that's a new one. Never had an eyelid licker before....

I have no ideas, you could try a sleep mask I guess, it'd be more comfotable than goggles. :shrug:

Maybe its something she'll grow out of.

cpietra16
July 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Out of my 5 cats, Tess is the only one that licks my eye lids. And like your cat it's always very early in the morning. I just assume that she wants me to open my eyes. Thank god she doesn't do it often...

Sorry I have no solution to the problem, other than lock them out of the bedroom. This is a natural behavior for them. I guess I'm no help.:shrug:

Love4himies
July 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Awww, she is lonely and wants some company lol. I find the best way is to completely ignore them, no pats, no talking, because she is looking for some type of attention, so if she gets no reaction she will stop. Know this will be difficult to do and perhaps krdahmer's suggestions of wearing a sleep mask will help.

Ford Girl
July 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
My cat does this, which is why we close our door!! He drives us nuts, he will only settle in if one of us in the bed, if we are both sleeping he licks our eyes or forhead or any part of skin exposed, bites our toes, sits on the night stand and changes the time on the clock (we've gottne up at 2am cuz of this!!), knocks things off the dresser, bothers the dog in her kennel, etc....

I always thought if he would just settle down and sleep it would be great to allow him in, however, no one sleeps when Pubert is in our room...I think it's cuz he sleeps all day, naps all evening, then spends the night trying to get us to play. We try it every now and then, like last night when it was so hot we wanted the door open, I shooed him away like 4 times, and eventually kicked him out of the room.

Kristin7
July 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I've had a couple cats like this, either with the licking or doing stuff like meowing really loud in the middle of the night/early morning, knocking stuff over to get attention. We (man and I) had a very small place and couldn't shut the cats out of the bedroom, so had to be very patient. I took to wearing earplugs and he was the one who got licked, so we tried smearing bad tasting stuff all over his face. That didn't work really. We were able to cut the behaviors down some by using a squirt bottle, and then over a period of a year or two, the cats eventually stopped, or at least became tolerable.

Jim Hall
July 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
hide under the blankets also try to play with her before you retire and wear her out a bit
She is saying come on its dawn and we need to go hunting
wake up already