Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jealousy and leash pulling...

chrisxna
July 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM
hi, i just adopt a 1yr female siberian husky from shelter, it appears to be a super friendly dog with humans, but just not to other dogs? before i used to bring my 2 siberian husky to dog park almost everyday, let them makes friends and run around, my old dog seems very social w/ other dogs.. but my new dog, whenver dog comes to me and try to get my attention, she will go run after it and try to bite it... she get jealous to all the dogs.. what should i do?
both of my dogs have the leash pulling problem.. i try the cholk chain but seems like no use, and i try the "stop", but it just work for few secs... what should i do? hope u guys can help me:lovestruck:

luckypenny
July 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Your new dog's "jealously" actually sounds like she's guarding you. As for a choke collar, it doesn't work on it's own. Actually, your dogs can get hurt if it's not used properly. Do you know anything of your new dog's history? Have you considered working with a trainer/behaviorist?

chrisxna
July 5th, 2007, 11:08 PM
the shelter ppl only said that she was on the street by herself.. that's it.. i dont' know much about her history, but she is very friendly to all human... i bring her to dog park everyday along w/ my other dog, when she see other ppl, she will go there and greet them, but when that owner's dog go to that person, she will start biting...it just do it to all the dogs.. that's so weird?? :sick: i don't want to stop going to dog park just because of that.. but what can i do?

luckypenny
July 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
If she's biting other dogs, I'd reconsider taking her to the dog park until you get some professional help. As much as you enjoy the park, it doesn't sound like she's having such a good time. If she injures another dog, you as her owner, are responsible for any harm that may come to another dog. Again, this sounds like a serious aggression issue and your best bet would be to get help from a professional trainer/behaviorist. What area do you live in? Maybe some members here will have some good references for you. Perhaps your dog was not socialized to other dogs as a puppy. Who knows? No disrespect intended but to put other dogs at risk by taking her to the dog park is extremely irresponsible. By continuing to put her in that environment where she is not comfortable, you may be making the problem worse for her as well.

chrisxna
July 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
that's true, i would like to see if there are any behaviorist around San Gabriel, CA.. i really hope that this can help for her aggression... thanks.~

growler~GateKeeper
July 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
My Dal x Lab was a rescue I got @ 6yrs he used to pull on his leash to the point of choking himself so I got him a Halti - it's a head collar, very gentle corrective collar much better than the choker or training collar. The head collar comes in different forms Halti, Gentle Leader etc all work on the same principle when the dog pulls it gently pulls their nose back towards you. No need to strain, pull or jerk on the collar and it doesn't hurt them like most training collars. After using the first time I had no more pulling and a much happier dog and more pleasant walk. It is available @ most local pet supply stores. This is what it looks like:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=875

Luckypenny is right it sounds more like protection than jealousy. As long as you pay equal attention to her as to the other dogs, don't forget to pet her while meeting a new dog.
I grew up with 2 Sibes, they are very pack oriented (you are her pack) and very protective of the ones they love. She will need basic obedience (a MUST with this breed) this also is a good way to socialize her in a calm, comfortable environment with a few dogs to start. It sounds like the dog park might be overwhelming to her right now - start with the Halti and obedience training, even if she has had it before a refresher course is always good.

Coming from the shelter she may also have a dislike for large crowds of dogs, start small don't expect huge changes overnight.

She will need positive reinforcement with good behaviour around dogs, try having her play with one or two other dogs that she likes and expand from there.

good luck:fingerscr , keep us posted

chrisxna
July 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
wow, that's help a lot, thx~ i actually try to use the collar that u recommend me before, but my first husky always take this off and runaway, maybe i put it in a wrong way, i think u are right.. i have to go to trainer to start in small group first, thx for ur opinion!!!:laughing:

rainbow
July 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would recommend the Newtrix Easyway Headcollar (www.newtrix.ca) over the Halti. The Newtrix pulls from behind the neck whereas the Halti pulls the dog's neck to the side.

My Siberian pulled alot too. We used a Gentle Leader (works the same as a Halti) at first and he hated it. We switched to the Newtrix Easyway and he didn't mind it at all. I can now walk him with an ordinary chest harness and he doesn't pull.

chrisxna
July 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
thx ppl, i bought the head collar yesterday and both of my babies do not pull at all, that's so great, thank you very much@@:laughing:

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Which headcollars did you buy?

chrisxna
July 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
that is sth like the link Growler sent me, but is different brand, Petsmart have it, i forgot the brand name but is in a blue package with a disc inside, i use large size for my huskies~ it really works well, much better when i walk them@@@@:crazy:

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM
If it's the one that pulls their head to the side be careful not to jerk the leash hard.

chrisxna
July 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
yes, i totally agree, coz when my Healthy was young and it pull to hard, the head collar come off and he ranaway, that's scare me, wkakakakak~:eek:

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Actually, if you pull too hard and jerk their head to the side you can cause damage to the neck. :eek: That's why the Newtrix Easyway Headcollar is better because it tightens at the back behind the ears and corrects the dog that way. :)

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
that's scare me, wkakakakak~:eek:

Okay, I figured out the "sth" and "nth" in your other thread but WTH does "wkakakakak" mean ??? :confused: :D

chrisxna
July 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hahahah, Wkakakakakkaka Means I Am Laughing~ :D