Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kasey won't calm down.

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Right, so Kasey will not calm down. He's always been a bit crazier then my other cats, but for the past week or so he's been off the walls, litterly. He's been jumping on the stair banister and sliding down it. He's fallen down the stairs a couple times as well. I would think getting hurt from being stupid would have calmed him down but it didnt. I mean I know kittens are crazy and hes 6 months old but I feel like I need to put him in a straight jacket and lock him in a padded cage. when I lock him up somewhere to try to calm him down he goes nuts and meows really loud.

Should I just let him keep being crazy? My other cats are active as well and love to play and jump and run around but hes a spider-cat and is tearing up the furniture because we let him keep his front claws and now he keeps climbing up everything. We give him toys and scratching posts and things to ruin and I train my cats well but hes really hyper active and keeps getting hurt. He's climbing up the side of book cases and furniture by digging his claws into them and once hes at the top knocking stuff over and then jumping.

I don't know what to do. He keeps climbing up me and my mom too. Like I'll be standing there and suddenly he runs up my leg and digs his claws into my skin and uses me like a mountain and then will sit on my shoulder and bite me and stuff.

It's cute sometimes but I can't get him to calm down and hes going to break his neck or something!! He's already hurt me and my mom by running all over us and clawing us and stuff.

He's a sweet cat but I mean it looks like he just ate a bag of sugar or something. Should I get like sedatives from the vets or something? I'm clueless because I can't even catch him half the time to lock him up because he's fast as heck! hes driving my other cats crazy too because hes biting them and running all over them and stuff.

Should I just let him run his course and be hyper or what? He's really loud when he meows fyi so if I try to crate him he'd meow really loudly till I went crazy and let him out.

Oh and just for reference

http://a418.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/18/l_ca51e580aa12f45d6e94c1b5d3cd5581.jpg

Kasey is the little tuxedo with the birthmark on his cheek (and maxwell is the russian blue right there). Socks is the big tuxedo (and mommy) and Missy is the russian tuxedo. just so I don't confuse anyone since I have a gabillion cats.

meg4050
July 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Kathryn!
Romeo is EXACTLY the same way, I've lost count how many times he's jumped off of the stair banisters in the last week alone - he's about 4 months so a bit younger than yours. But here's a little trick I learned, especially when he's trying to climb you - collect all of your receipts! He loves the crinkling sound they make when you roll them up so all I do is roll it in my hands for a few seconds to get his attention and he gets hypnotized by the thing and plays with it for hours trying to get noises out of it! Then he'll sleep for a couple hours and play with it all over again. Mind you my house is not littered with little balls of paper so I have to clean up every night but it works like a charm! I also cheques with the vet in regards to the ink used to print receipts and he said that it's sealed well enough not to bother cats and that the ink isn't harmful anyway - but if you want to be extra safe jsut stick to the paper ones without the glossy finish.
I also bought him a fluffy ball that has a tin-foil like paper sewn through it that makes the same noise, but he still seems to prefer the receipts.
Give it a try, maybe it will work for you too!
-Megan

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Okay, I can do that! thanks! He's just driving me cuckoo because hes falling off of things and i saw him tumble down the stairs yesterday and im just hoping hes not going to break something. He fell asleep now but he naps for like a half hour and then wakes up and goes crazy again.

badger
July 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Kasey is one cute cat. Everything you describe is completely normal and giving him sedatives would be like drugging a child who has been misdiagnosed with ADD.
But the climbing must stop and it's your role to teach the little fuzzbutt some manners. The minute he lays a paw on you, grab him firmly and set him down with a loud NO. Every time. It takes patience, but you will see results. His 'memory' will get better as he gets older :) .
Do any of the other cats play with him? If not, give him some playtime every day, just you and him, no biting allowed, lots of arms-length toys, crunchy balls, etc. Some cats like that plastic donut toy with the ball that runs around the outside. Two medium cardboard boxes taped together make a fine tunnel. Cats loooove tunnels.
Keep his nails trimmed, even if he hates it. You could try Soft Paws, little booties, if he doesn't rip them off.

krdahmer
July 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Thats too funny, I have two grown adult tuxedos that get the crazies just like that. But at 10 and 18 lbs, its more like a couple horses galloping around the house! I got them toys, lots of toys to keep them closer to the ground when they get the crazies. Buddy prefers the catnip stuffed skunk, and Palomine goes bananas for springs. I find that they need more stimulation from me like playtime. Set aside time every day to play string or throw the mouse around, that sometimes helps to wear them out. I find that mine get the crazies mostly when I've been busy and skipped their play hour. Oh and with claws, all you can do is keep them clipped regularly, there is really no way to avoid a few scratch marks (and scars!:eek: ) every now and then.

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I want to put soft paws on him because It's hard to clip his nails all the time. My mom is worried that water or something will get under the nail caps and his nails will get infected. This wont happen right?

Missy Socks and Maxwell all play with him but they get worn out before him and he wants to keep going and will bite them and jump around looking for attention. The bookcase he keeps going on top of is about 6-7 foot high and he jumps off of it and stuff and hes going to break his little ankles. got me so worried! I feel like I need a baby sitter because im afriad im going to go out and come home and hes got his head stuck somewhere or got knocked out from falling off something. He's too crazyyy.

Oh and we do have alot of toys to keep him amused but he goes crazy too much and gets bored with them and tries to find something else. He loves rattle mice though.

Love4himies
July 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
You did not mention whether you have any cat stands that they can climb. If you don't, then it is a must to have for all cats. They can be trained to scratch their claws on that rather than your furniture and use it as a climbing post rather than your body.

When I had kittens I had two HUGE ones that they could comfortably run, jump and climb up. I have one cat that used to hang upsidedown on the top shelve by her two front legs and use her back legs to claw the bottom. Great energy buster. I put them in the rooms we occupied the most - living room and bedroom. This helped expend their energy like you wouldn't believe.

To exhaust my kittens, I would throw toy mice or tinfoil balls up the stairs so they would run up stairs after it. I tried to throw it so it would hit the stair riser so it would come back down otherwise I would have to go up the stairs to retrieve the toy, then I would be the one exhaused lol.

It sounds like you have a healthy, active kitty and I don't believe in medicating just because they are "too active". It is natural for kitties to jump, climb and run, they are still learning their limits and coordination skills. Also, owners should treat their animals no differently than treating children. If a parent has an energetic child, they shouldn't try "time out" that energy, but allow them to play to dispel some of it. The cat will not uderstand why it is being locked up and may still have the energy pent-up. It is our job as parents to find ways to accomplish this, and this kitty may require more of your playing time than the others. This is temporary, pets, like children, grow up and become calmer.

Love4himies
July 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Forgot to say: Your kitties are beautiful. Is it the black and white one that is Kasey? My daughter has a black and white cat that was super hyper. After spaying, the vet asked us to come pick her up early because she was the most hyper cat they have ever seen and was dying to get out of her cage. After spaying, she settled right down.

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm in the market for a tall scratching post. I'm just trying to find a sale on one because my mom cant afford the ones we've been seeing which are like 150 dollars. I'm just worried about him getting hurt is all. I try to tire him our by playing fetch with him and letting him play with the other cats but it will be like 3am and hes going nuts and attacking stuff and everyone else is trying to sleep. and ill be laying in bed and he will jump on me and start attacking my blanket and my pillow and trying to get me out of bed.i just wish he'd calm down a little bit especially when im trying to sleep.

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
On a related note, I decided to look up cat trees and found a company called "armarkat" who make tons of cat trees and condos. they have free shipping and I found a really nice looking BIG hugh one for 139 dollars.

http://www.armarkat.com/a8301.htm

Does that look okay to everyone? It's really tall though but I think it would be good for my cats to play on. They should be able to land on their feet from that height right?

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM
My Vlad is like that, but not to the extent of your kitty. Vlad is going on his 5th month and Oksana on her 4th. She's actually the one who runs around the most, but when Vlad isn't napping he joins her. I think that's called the Kitten Crazies or something. LOL, they get this burst of energy for like 20 minutes then nap for several hours!

Oksana used to try to climb on my leg, but she'd catch my be surprise and I'd yell in pain, then gently undo those sharp claws on my leg and say "No Oksana." Vlad sometimes tries to use my leg as a scratching post, but before he has time to climb, I remove his paws, pet him and throw a toy away from him to distract him.

They both love those curly plastic things and an empty soda box can entertain both of them for quite a while.

They both get really active around 5:00 am, running around the room, running on my leg and across my face (that's always fun NOT), but after about 10 or 15 minutes they settle down and go to sleep next to me.

Maybe he's just the crazy kitty out of the bunch.

pags
July 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
You just described my entire household!! :eek:

All three of my cats are lunatics. They have an assortment of toys and posts and trees and a 4200 square foot house to explore... and trips outside to jump out of bushes onto one another... And they're still lunatics.

One thing that works for me to get them to calm down... Is I have three ultra soft - ultra thick baby blankets. They're like a fleecy material with I swear something like synthetic cashmere on the surface. They FEEL like a giant persian cat. I don't keep them out all the time... But when the kitties are going berserk and I need them to settle... I pull out the big cashmere kitty blankets and within minutes they're all piled up rolling in them until they fall asleep.

My mother gave me this tip after having used old silk scarves and throws to calm down her crazy cats. Something about luxurious-feeling materials that lull them into a kitty trance.

It's worth a shot, right?

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Kasey has a thing for soft stuff as well! I have poylester robes that are super soft and when i wear them or leave them out he will climb onto them and chew on them and cuddle them. He's sitll napping right now which is suprising. I think hes going to end up waking up within like 20 minutes and going cuckoo again. My house is pretty kitten proof. My stair case is .. 2 levels I guess you could say. It does not go straight up, it goes up, then levels out and then you have to turn to go up the rest of the way. And because of that they kept going between the railing of the top level and jumping off so I fenced it off with cardboard and chicken wire. I've tried my best to block stuff off and keep everything safe but they still get into trouble. mainly just kasey though.

And he steals stuff. like he will run off with clothes from my laundry or steal blankets and pillow cases and run off with them. When I try to get dressed in the morning he will run in and steal my shirt and run off with it. It's cute, but as I said before it's just the getting hurt part and hurting me and my other cats thats mainly got me concearned. I don't care too much about the furniture but my mom can't afford to have to take him to the vets for a broken bone.

krdahmer
July 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
My cats would LOVE that cat tree... and that is a great price. Mine usually choose to come down the levels on theirs instead of jumping top to floor.

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I think I've seen those on ebay. They have lots of them, but they seem to charge you more for the delivery than for the tree. It comes to about the same price as the one you showed.

I'm dying to get a tree for my kitties. But I don't think they'd jump if they had levels to jump down from.

kathryn
July 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.armarkat.com/pix1/m/b7701.jpg

My moms letting me get that one for about 150$ off ebay so that we can let Kasey go crazy and tear up that one instead of climbing all over the furniture. Hopefully that will work.

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
That one is great. I was looking at some this weekend at the pet stores and they are between $75-$100 more.

When you get it let us know how it looks and how sturdy it is.