Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog with dry scaly skin

mandakyle
July 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I have a 5 year old boston terrier whom i adopted in january. he has had no problems but in the last 3 weeks or so has developed these dry patches on his skin (ears, legs, chest etc) which peel and there is new skin underneath and doesn't appear to bother him. he does chew on his from legs but there is no pain.

I'm thinking allergies but i'm not sure...maybe it just occurs due to hot weather i dunno. i'm just wondering if there is any one else out there who has the same problem with their pet and could give some advice on how i can treat it...possibly with some herbal shampoo or medicated stuff...

thank you

amanda:dog:

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
It could be allergies or heat-related, but if it were my dog, I'd want a vet to look at him just to be sure. If the skin is peeling, I'd worry about the possibility of infection. Once you know what you're dealing with, you can explore different avenues to treat it. Treatment might be something as simple as a change in diet or using a soothing shampoo to calm the skin...but a good first place to start is the vet.

Seems like this has been a bad spring/summer for itchiness... :shrug: Something in the air, maybe? Even me and the hubby have been itchy lately :o

Good luck with your dog! Hope you can figure out what's going on soon! :fingerscr

mandakyle
July 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
thanks for your input, i'm not too concerned with infection because it is new skin underneath, i will take your advice and take him to the vet...I haven't yet as I am not happy with many of the vets in my area.

in the meantime i plan to buy a soothing shampoo for him, it appears to bother me more than it does him :laughing:

rainbow
July 5th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Good idea to take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis. Where abouts in Toronto are you? There are lots of members here from TO so perhaps someone will recommend a vet to you. :)

BMDLuver
July 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM
thanks for your input, i'm not too concerned with infection because it is new skin underneath, i will take your advice and take him to the vet...I haven't yet as I am not happy with many of the vets in my area.

in the meantime i plan to buy a soothing shampoo for him, it appears to bother me more than it does him :laughing:

Best to take him to the vet before you do any shampoos. A word of advice.. just because the skin looks good underneath ie. pinkish does not mean that a bacterial fungus or yeast infection cannot occur. Very rapidly you can go from lovely pink to greyish green. Much more costly and hard to treat at that point.

mandakyle
July 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
thanks i will take him in before i buy anything...his skin is white underneath but the hair is falling out...:sick:

i live in the dufferin eglinton area...there is a vet on dufferin which i took my kitty to but the guy didn't seem to know what he was doing...charged me all these ridiculous little fees and stuff and doesn't seem to want to answer any questions unless i pay for something:evil:

i'm thinking it may be an allergy but his food has been the same since january and this just started happening recently so i'm thinking its an outdoor thing...he's been sleeping more and more and doesn't appear to have much energy...i'm really getting worried...i may just take him to forest hill vet cuz i don't know where else to take him:sad:

rainbow
July 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm surprised that no one here has suggested a vet to you. If you don't like the one you went to then look in the phone book for another one close to you. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mandakyle
July 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
i will definetely keep you guys posted..thanks so much...i love this site! my joey is better today...had more energy...but he's still sleeping a lot....

my husband got up at 6am and he wouldn't go out...then i got up at 11 and by 1 i had to leave for work so i had to drag him out for a walk...he's okay to walk once you get him to the side walk otherwise he won't leave the house...i got home around 10 pm...and it's now almost 2am and he won't go out and when i put him out he just runs back inside...he's eating and drinking okay so i don't understand...:yell:

will definetely have to see what the vet says...:fingerscr

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 01:25 AM
and it's now almost 2am and he won't go out and when i put him out he just runs back inside...

It's better if you go out with him. :)

rainbow
July 7th, 2007, 01:28 AM
i live in the dufferin eglinton area...there is a vet on dufferin which i took my kitty to but the guy didn't seem to know what he was doing...charged me all these ridiculous little fees and stuff and doesn't seem to want to answer any questions unless i pay for something

Try posting a thread asking for recommended vets in your area as some people may not look at this thread when they read the title. :)

mandakyle
July 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
i do go out with him...but he won't follow me...when i pull him out he runs back to the door and waits and whines...he finally went out today at 10:45 but isn't that a long time for a dog? He never had a pee from 1pm yesterday till today at 10:45...it makes me worry...i will ask the vet about but you know

i'm taking him on monday cuz the vet nearby is closed this weekend...i'm worried about cost though...i don't have much money...does anyone know approx...how much this kind of visit would cost?:confused:

mandakyle
July 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
So i took him to the vet (forest hill is awesome!) and the vet told me it was a skin infection but is unsure of the cause...he gave me novolexin to give to him 2x per day and a medicated shampoo (followed by oatmeal bath) to give him 2x a week...he seems a lot happier now..the spots are still there but there doesn't appear to be any new ones.:thumbs up
I am to bring him back to the vet next week and hopefully he will be able to tell me more :fingerscr

:offtopic: he also checked out his eye as my dog groomer mother told me he was gettin cataracts in his left eye but to me it looked like scar tissue (he had an eye injury from an unknown cause in april) and the doctor confirmed that for me :cloud9: He told me as long as it doesn't swell up or irriatate him anymore it should be perfectly fine.

I will keep you all updated as i learn more in case anyone else experiences the same problem! Thanks for everyones help/advice/tips!

Take care!:ca: :pawprint: