Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digging

Harley's_Mom
July 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
HELP! My 6 month old Shih Poo keeps digging under our fence. He's trying to get to the neighbour's dog. Usually he only does this when she's outside but tonite he was digging again and the other dog wasn't out there. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this behaviour? Besides destroying my lawn, Harley gets filthy everytime he does this and it's getting very frustrating. TIA

luckypenny
July 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Perhaps if you left his lead on while he's outside and brought him in for time-out each and every time he begins to dig? As soon as he begins, say, "stop" (or some such command), gently pick up the lead and bring him in for 1-2 minutes. Let him out again and if he starts, repeat the command and time out. He'll soon get the message that if he digs, he comes indoors. It's very important however that the time-out should not be longer than a minute or two or he'll forget what it's for.

How much active exercise is he getting (and I don't mean just being let outside)? Walking, running, retrieving, etc? Many dogs dig out of boredom as well. A tired dog is a well-behaved dog. Have you started any obedience training with him yet?

pags
July 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Oh boy, digging. I've never been able to stop a digging dog from digging when I'm not there to say something. Our dog Judge simply grew out of the 'digging phase' thank goodness. However.. Our pup Cosmo is a digger - and I have simply accepted the fact that he can't go out back without me. Hopefully he'll outgrow it someday too.

I wish I could say I found some other method that really works... But we tried it all... chicken wire, stinky sprays, squirts with the hose, noisemakers... Everything... But nothing works unless we're there to reinforce it. I HOPE somebody comes up with some great suggestion though -- cause I'll try it too.

Good luck!

sugarcatmom
July 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Not sure if these have any helpful info relating to your particular situations, but here are a couple of links to stuff about dogs that dig:
http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/DogBehave.htm#dig
http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/digging-problems

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
We've had good luck with chicken wire. We lay a piece about three feet wide (just under a meter) under the fence and secure it to the ground with landscaping staples. Two thirds of the piece lies on the ground inside the fence, one third of it outside. The hardest part is cutting the pieces of chicken wire. Eventually the grass grows up through the wire to hide it. The dogs definitely don't like the feel of it on their pads when they try to dig there.

Works great to keep them from digging under the fence. :thumbs up However, unless we want to carpet the whole yard with chicken wire, the technique won't work for the rest of the yard :rolleyes:

Good luck with Harley! :fingerscr he'll just outgrow his digging fetish!

bendyfoot
July 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
We've had good luck with chicken wire. We lay a piece about three feet wide (just under a meter) under the fence and secure it to the ground with landscaping staples. Two thirds of the piece lies on the ground inside the fence, one third of it outside. The hardest part is cutting the pieces of chicken wire. Eventually the grass grows up through the wire to hide it. The dogs definitely don't like the feel of it on their pads when they try to dig there.

Works great to keep them from digging under the fence. :thumbs up However, unless we want to carpet the whole yard with chicken wire, the technique won't work for the rest of the yard :rolleyes:

Good luck with Harley! :fingerscr he'll just outgrow his digging fetish!

I was thinking chicken wire too...you could also try digging a 1x1 foot trench at the base of the fence, and lay the wire underground in an "L" shape, so that the vertical part hits the bottom of the fence, goes down a foot, then the horizontal part of the in towards the yard...this works to keep groundhogs and skunks from digging burrows under buildings...should work for digging dogs...