Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cooling vest

filox
July 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hi all,

I wonder if any body has had experience with a cooling vest.

I go hiking with my dogs most every weekend, but in summer time have to be much attended of the dog temperature.

Try to hike early or late, avoid the really hot hot days, Carry lots of water and a spray bottle, even thinking about carrying an anal thermometer....:rolleyes:

Any way, came across some products that supposedly keep your dog cool.

Just want feed back, comments or experiences.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/cooling_vest.htm

http://www.anclotefire.com/proddetail.php?prod=0-08

mummummum
July 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I too do alot of hiking with my boogerheads but I live in Canada ~ not Northern mexico. What's the terrrain and temp where you are hiking ?

Maybe you could write the companies with an offer to be the "Poster Dog" for their product. I suppose I'm just "not in the techno loop" but I can't see how they could retain their chill with a active animal within variable temps. I also have to think they would be heavy. I know I read elsewhere in pets.ca that some handlers of show dogs use them in arenas but the dogs aren't moving all that much and the temp is going to be reasonably static.

deemaree7
July 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
i looked into these cooling jackets (for my husband not a dog) they only keep cool for maybe 3 hours after taken out of the fridge, unless u are hiking close to the fridge they would be warmed up before u got to the hiking point.
I think you are better to let the dogs be naturally fit and accustomed to heat. I know it is a big panic when a dog gets heat stroke and takes a long time for body temperature to come down.
Best to carry plenty of water and watch for early signs, (eg tongue curling up) then allow plenty of time to cool with water shade and breeze.

filox
July 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hey, mummummum

Here the terrain is pretty rough, very steep, rocky and thorny. Is the Sierra Madre.
The temp. in summer time is always at least 35C (95F) and could get as high as 43-44C (110F) so yea, is hot...;)

Is great scenery and the trails are challenging, What I do, is try to hike where I know we will find some stream, that helps. Also, I monitor my dogs very often. I do have some heat resistant breeds, Australian cattle dog and Australian Shepard and I will spray them as often as I can with the spry bottle that I carry, and always carry lots of water.

As for the technologies of the vest. As far as I understand it, the vests that I am looking at, are made of some kind of absorvent fiver or crystals, and the principle is to make it work as your skin does. You have to put the vest in water over night, then next day you put it on the dog and the water evaporates slowly, taking the heat and cooling the dog, supposedly by 20 degrees or so they say...

We'll see. As for this weekend the forecast calls for rain, so I expect to have a good hike done.

Cheers.

deemaree7
July 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
hi filox,
yes vests sound different to what i looked into,
Nice picture of ur heeler, I am sitting on a farm in australia and it is funny to hear u talk about an australian shepherd!! i presume u mean a kelpie, yes they are hardy dogs but still seen many get the start of heat stroke working sheep on a 40 degree day and can only be revived by immersing in water for an extended period of time, but working sheep is harder than walking pace. The heat reflecting off the ground compounds the problem of course, it is cooler where u are vertical up away from the ground heat.
Personally i always preferred border collies to kelpies for sheep sense and calmness. Were your dogs bred in australia and improted?