Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yet another new food for Bobby...

JanM
July 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Bobby still has not lost any weight so I'm trying yet another food -Orijen Senior. Here's a quick recap of Bobby's foods: Nutro Lamb & Rice, Raw, NRG, Go Natural Chicken, Go Natural Salmon, Go Natural Grain Free and now the Orijen Senior. The vet wanted Bobby on Hills Weight Reducing formula so I bought a bag of it - but I could not feed it to him! He has to lost 10 lbs so wish us luck because if this doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try!

Frenchy
July 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
My vet wanted me to try a reduce diet too (for Sam) But it was full of corn so i said no thanks) . Nelly was on Canidae lamb and rice and I switched the boys to it too. (Thanks to Luckypenny who buys it for me , not any in my area) if this doesn't work, I will try the reduce diet. Sometimes when you get a specific problem, vet food does help :shrug:

JanM
July 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM
My vet wanted me to try a reduce diet too (for Sam) But it was full of corn so i said no thanks) . Nelly was on Canidae lamb and rice and I switched the boys to it too. (Thanks to Luckypenny who buys it for me , not any in my area) if this doesn't work, I will try the reduce diet. Sometimes when you get a specific problem, vet food does help :shrug:

I am hoping and praying that this new food will do the trick because I seem to have a real aversion to the Hills W/D stuff - partly because some of the Hills products were on the recall list and partly because of the very high corn content. There is a Nutro Senior food that I may consider - it has 10% fat vs the 14% fat in the Orijen food but Nutro had some foods recalled too - and that scares me, plus Nutro has grain and Orijen doesn't.

Is nothing simple any more:crazy:

geisha
July 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hi there. Here are a few ideas that may help and I apologise if you've tried them already.

1. Feed the ideal weight amount. For example if you want your pup to weigh 40 lbs feed that amount.

Hmm...Have you tried exercise?

2. Vegetables for treats. NO COOKIES. Green beans, carrots, broccoli are great.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise.

4. Innova makes a reduced calorie food also. Rose (senior samoyed) is on a leaner protein dog food. It is not a reduced calorie food. Fish based food worked well for her. It is a leaner protein.

5. Did I say exercise???

Good luck.

JanM
July 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, Geisha - I do welcome insights from others.

Bobby gets a minimum of an hour walking in the morning, sometimes 2 hrs, in the afternoons it is anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours, averaging 1.5 hrs. Once a week we go on a hike which is anywhere from 2 to 5+ hours (often up a mountain - a small one) and an average of every 2 weeks we go on a 2-hr wilderness walk with a pack of dogs. Now that the weather has turned hot - it's 26 right now with no wind - the afternoon outings don't happen - none of us can stand the heat. Also, now that the weather has turned hot, I can get Bobby to swim in the ocean in the morning by throwing his brocolli - he loves it and he gets carrots, cauliflower and broccoli for treats with one liver bar a day. He gets apples too.

If I've missed something please tell me!

He has very short legs with a big barrel and large bone structure and he woudl much rather watch others walk than participate if he could get away with it. Keeping him at an ideal weight has been a problem since day 1 so it's a constant "tweaking" for me to find the right balance of everything!

luckypenny
July 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Canidae also has a senior and overweight formula: Platinum

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/platinum/dry.html

mummummum
July 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I'm really impressed with Orijen so far and hope that you find success with it in dieting.I don't think using a Senior diet if your dog is not a senior is necessarily a good idea. I think you want to fool his metabolism. If you can, feed him 4-5 times a day (same a amount divvied up) of what he would normally eat rather than twice and make him work for each portion of each meal. Over the course of 2 weeks reduce the amount of food from what he would normally get to what he should get for an X weight dog. Check his ribs and scruff every day to see how he is doing on the weight kloss and make sure he has plenty of fresh, cool water.

If his exercise routine isn't resulting in weight reduction then you may want to look at running/ playing sports & activities. Walking in and of itself wouldn't lead to alot of fat burning.

And apologies as I've been away for awhile ~ have you had his thyroid checked ?

coppperbelle
July 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
If reducing his food intake isn't working to reduce his weight then it may be a good idea to have his thyroid tested. It is a simple blood test.

Make sure you don't follow the feeding guidelines on the bag because they are always high. Treats are very high in calories and one Dentabone has the same calories as a meal.

coppperbelle
July 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Check the amount of calories in the Canidae Lamb and Rice. If it is anything like the chicken formula it is higher in calories and you may have to reduce the amount you are feeding. I did with Hunter.

JanM
July 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
If his exercise routine isn't resulting in weight reduction then you may want to look at running/ playing sports & activities. Walking in and of itself wouldn't lead to alot of fat burning.

And apologies as I've been away for awhile ~ have you had his thyroid checked ?[/QUOTE]

I do thank you for your suggestions but Bobby just does not run - he has no interest in any high-energy sports at all. I've had his Thyroid checked and he's been checked for diabetes and blood work for different levels of different things - nothing has shown up. I've come to believe this is who he is - a VERY laid-back dog.

JanM
July 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Make sure you don't follow the feeding guidelines on the bag because they are always high. Treats are very high in calories and one Dentabone has the same calories as a meal.

I have been feeding him considerably less than the recommended amount on the bags - for his ideal weight, for example, they suggest 2 1/4 c per day - he has been getting 3/4c in the morning and 3/4 c at night.

mummummum
July 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Please forgive me for being blunt .... but how many obese people run the Boston Marathon ?

Of course your dog is laid back. He is prevented by his size ( I assume, haven't see any pix !) for being otherwise.

Whatever amount you are feeding him now, over the next 2 weeks slowly cut it in half. As noted, pay attn to his ribs and scruff for true weight loss. You do know that a lot of Senior formulas have a higher protein ratio right ?

Once his ribs, scruff and underbelly are where you want them to be then you can work on establishing the correct amt of food with his exercise level.

Frenchy
July 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Check the amount of calories in the Canidae Lamb and Rice. If it is anything like the chicken formula it is higher in calories and you may have to reduce the amount you are feeding. I did with Hunter.

I'll e-mail you.

JanM, I know how you feel , when I adopted Sam , he was 8 yr old and overweight , very overweight. It's real hard sometimes for some dogs to loose weight, some may have it easier , but sometimes it's not as simple as it sounds.

gypsy_girl
July 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My suggestion would be to look at the total calorie intake, not the amount you need to feed.
As an example if you were feeding X brand at 2 cups = 500 calories, and you need to loose weight, you have 2 options. Feeding 20% less of that food, OR feeding a food with 20% less calories PER CUP.
Calories per cup are available from manufacturers, but they are determined using a calculation, so some variability will occur.
As an example the calories per cup on the Orijen Senior are almost the same as the GO! Natural Salmon.
Normally foods with less calories have higher fiber (not proven to work) but it bulks up the kibble so that the owner feels like the dog is getting volume.
Maybe the Innova Senior?

JanM
July 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Well, Gypsey Girl, you could knock me over with a feather after your post - I did not think of calories/cup - I was concentrating on the fat content! I will definitely take a look at the cal/cup and will check out the Innova Senior.. Thank you!

Goldens4Ever
July 7th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, a thyroid test may be a good idea now if the fat doesn't decrease by reducing the kcal received. :thumbs up

One Beagle Girl
July 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
If you want to try a lower calorie food, you could try Wysong Anergen.

It has about 230 calories/cup even though the pieces are small and alot fit in a cup. It has grains and doesn't have the highest amount of protein, but it could help your pup reach his target weight. I used to feed it to Parker (he has a very sensitive stomach) and he did really well on it. I had to go much closer to the feeding guidelines on the bag than I normally did to keep weight on him.

Anergen Dry Ingredients: Lamb, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oat Groats, Ground Flax Seeds, Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Lecithin, Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Plums, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, L-Carnitine, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Analysis: Min. Protein 24%, Min. Fat 12%, Max. Fiber 4.5%, Max. Moisture 12%, Min. Taurine 0.2%

erykah1310
July 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well weight reduction for dogs can be just as dificult as it is for us.
As many of you know I "took in" an elderly old dog who weighed in at an astounding 230 lbs ( he was severly obese considering I figure with his build he should be no more than 140 ish)
Its been 2 years and he is down to 160, still quite big looking, but has more muscle mass now as well.
He couldnt excersise, ask an obese person to bust out in a 3 hour cardio work out routine, they just cant, as said earlier their size contributes to this.
How it was done.
I first off took him off Kibbles and Bits :eek: and moved him to pedigree ( before I really knew the truth behind dog foods) shortly after he was switched to a better food.
Now, I slowly reduced his feedings, quite drasticly but fed him several small meals through the day. ( He never had the feeling of immense hunger i believe)
He started going for several walks in a day ( just pretty much to the end of the drive way, thats all his hips could take) but he had to walk the whole time. No stopping to sniff.
Swimming soon followed and I think that made the biggest difference in his muscle mass.
No more treats... he wants them, but im sorry ol guy, you just cant. his treats are now his meals, ( raw, we switch up the meat)
Its not just the fat content to watch for, caloric intake, protien, and fillers.
I make sure he eats no added fats. His meats are lean while the others get regular.

As far as senior foods, I dont buy into that, where as Puppy and Bailey would technically be ready for senior foods, I feed them regular adult and suppliment their glucosamine and other stuff. Adult foods do have more fat content but I keep my boys moving.

Its hard to take weight off a dog, but once you get some off, you'd be suprised how much more active they become, even with severe hip displaysia or heart conditions.!