Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog pees on family and guests.

lucyrau
July 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I have a mini dachshund who is a little over a year old. When he is approached by family or friends, he rolls onto his back and pees in the air on them. No one wants to touch the dog, because we are uncomfortable with that behavior. He also does something I didn't even know male dogs do. He, for lack of a polite way of saying it.....has his penis "sticking out" at all times when in contact with anyone. He just sticks it out and rolls over and pees all over the place. He is in a crate at night, and is let run around for about half an hour, then put on a chain to keep him from digging holes all over the yard. Before he is brought in for the night, he is able to run around for a few minutes, and he just tears out around the yard like a mad man. If he would not pee on us or stick out his thing at us, he would be an inside dog. If training school could help, maybe I could be given a few of the procedures to do with him at home. Please let me know what is going on with this dog. Thanks.

glitterless
July 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM
The urinating is submissive behaviour. Dogs are pack animals. In nature, there is always an alpha dog (the leader) and everyone else follows that leader within the pack's hierarchy. Lying down, showing his belly, and urinating is one of the ways that a dog submits to another dog. He's showing you that he understands that you guys are above him and that he's being compliant. Basically he's saying "I surrender!"

How does everyone in the family interact with him? What was his past like? Does he get yelled at or treated roughly by anyone? Some dogs are naturally more nervous than others, but some are actually made submissive by their owner always having the upper hand.

This is where the pros need to step in and help you out ;) I manage with my own dogs, but I am not a trainer and am not very experienced with training dogs.

I would, however, spend a lot more time with this guy. Is he alone a lot outside on his chain or in his crate? He needs to feel like part of the family. Don't ever let him walk all over you (and if you have children, make sure that they keep the upperhand), but let him know that he's loved, appreciated, and that he doesn't have to fear you guys or act submissive when anyone contacts him. Right now he is trying to figure out what his place is in the pack (family). Some dogs might do this with aggression by challenging the alpha for the lead, while others, like your dog, prefer to stay at the bottom. But make sure that he knows that there's love, fun, and happiness at the bottom of the pack too :)

mummummum
July 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I think your distaste for his behaviour is clouding your better insticcts about the right thing to do with you dog.

He needs ALOT, and I do mean ALOT more exercise than you are giving him now. While I agree with everything Glitterless has said, I would also add that you guy is bored shirtless and has found the only way to get your attention, as negative as it may be, is to be a "pisser".

Please 1/ exercise your dog more frequently each and every day 2/ enroll BOTH of you in obedience classes and 3/bring him inside ~ how would you feel about being CHAINED ? Try to see the world through your dogs eyes and you may just see the answers to his behavioural "issues".

pags
July 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
1. Have your dog neutered. Not only does it solve the unsightly 'sticking out' from frisky male dogs for the most part... but it helps with many different behavior issues.. and is just the right thing to do.

2. If I am right in what I'm getting from your post.. this dog is either in his crate or chained for all but the equivalent of an hour or two a day... and during his 'let out' times he is simply 'let out' -- not really interacted with. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not wrong then I think that totally answers any questions you have about why he "just tears out around the yard like a mad man". You would too if you spent that much time confined.
In addition -- chaining is terrible for any dog's mental state and temperment.

3. As mentioned above -- the urinating is submissive behavior. I honestly think this is something that would be easily solved if he were allowed to spend enough time with the pack and not in isolation. The problem is only made worse if, for instance, in the short period of time he IS actually allowed around the humans he is being scolded or reprimanded for his urinating behavior and then put back into isolation. His answer is to show you he means no harm -- and unfortunately he's doing it through the undesired behavior. He's gotta be pretty confused by now.

Maybe you can just start over and pretend that he's your brand new dog you just brought home. Praise him and treat him... Go out and play with him... Let him know good things come from you humans. And! Look into some obedience classes for you and the little guy -- both of you will build confidence and spend some quality bonding time together!

Good luck.

pags
July 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Oops.. I forgot to mention.. You asked about training at home! Yes - you should absolutely be doing this - and really I would suggest it in addition to actually taking group obedience classes.

If you are unsure how to teach basic commands -- there are many sites on the internet that do a great job with some of the techniques for simple commands.. A google search will take care of that. Although I don't think there's a 'command' to make your dog's behavior stop... I think that teaching some basic commands and rewarding for good behavior will help tremendously.

Ford Girl
July 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Dazy use to do this as well, pee all over the place and then roll over in it, she is female tho so no one ever got peed on with the exception of a few wet socks. And it seemed to be towards other females.

I educated my friends so that we could do the inital meet and greet each time they came over, outside, where the mess doesn't matter so much. I asked the females that trigger this behavior to make a point of a proper greeting when they arrive, they let Dazy roll over, and make a mess, and they completely ignore this behavior, when she is done they then tell her to sit, then they pet her, she seems to thrive on commands, and if you don't tell her what's expected, she gets confused. She no longer pees for these friends cuz she knows what she needs to do to get some love'n. She now knows she doesn't need to submitt to them, she just needs to make the appropriate choice of behavior.

Her peeing has declined a bunch as she gets older, but she still throws herself on the floor for a belly rub allt he time!!! I persoanlly can't resist.

They need to know they are accepted by those who are the alphas, they will respect you more and not be afraid of you. They are pack animals, they live for their leaders and will respect bounderies, in return you must make it clear what you expect and priase, love and guide them along the way. Good luck!!

bendyfoot
July 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Jaida was a submissive pee-er, and still is with our other dog on occasion.

With people, we found the simplest solution (until she gained more confidence) was simply to bend down to her level/height before greeting her. It seems that standing tall and looming over her to say hello was just too overwhelming.

That said, PLEASE EXERCISE YOUR POOR PUPPY! You have a high-energy little guy who is going to lose his mind if he doesn't get active, INTERACTIVE work to do EVERY SINGLE DAY. Chaining this dog is going to make your problem so much worse and will do nothing but hurt your relationship with him.