- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Brown eyed cat

July 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
How common are brown eyes in a cat? Missy has brown eyes and I've never seen another cat with actual brown eyes. ive seen green, yellow, hazel, blue etc but never actual brown.

Uncommon or have I just not noticed any others?

July 3rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Personally I've never seen that. Palomine's are an amber colour that can look brownish in certain lights... but I've never seen a cat with dark eyes before.

Aparently there are though... I just read up on cats eyes... and saw a few pictures. I would say it isn't one of the more common colours though, 5 of mine have green and one has amber.

Got any pics?

July 4th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I think they usually call it dark copper coloured IMO looks light brown
also if the cats' fur is overall a darker colour the copper eye colour looks darker

yes yes :cat: pics please :pray:

July 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
She's a russian tuxedo ..aka russian blue + tuxedo cat :P

Hm, this is odd. When I take a picture of her, her eyes are not as brown. But if you compare them to Kaseys green-yellow eyes then you can kind of tell that they are brown.

thats the best I can do, Missy is kind of anti social and tends to run away from everyone.

July 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I have wondered the same thing before Kathryn. My two boy kitties both have what can be described as brown eyes. I have always just guessed that they are technically amber but a LOT of the time they're as dark brown as Judge the dog's eyes.

Sahara's eyes... always looking more amber than brown in pics because of flash.

July 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Such absolutely cute kitties!

July 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Aw cute kitties.

July 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Beautiful cats!!

The most common colours for eyes in cats are golden, green and orange. Brown is usually a dark golden though but it is not all that common. I have a genetic site about cats and am unsure if it covers cat eye color - you could search for it here:

July 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Okay thanks everyone! shes a pretty kitty but shes really mean. My mom called her "Pissy" Missy because shes always in a miserable mood. so no one gets to see her pretty self :(

October 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM
My friend told me that brown eyes where rare in cats but i didn't believe him thus is my kitty Salamander Excalibur Lil$#!t Hes such an attention whore i :lovestruck: him :grouphug::grouphug: