Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

grass eater!

kasher+tazz
May 5th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I dont know if anyone remebers but kash ate some of a tenis ball (grr to the pet shop who sold it as a dog toy...) and it ended up stuck in her intestine which we thought had passed as she is completely back to normal.

The thing is she has started eating a lot of grass - like every time i let her out she goes straight for the longer grass around the edges of the garden / bases of tree's etc. Unless she has a stick in her mouth or is chasing tazz she is eating grass, could this be because somehting is still in there and making her uncomfortable - she still has her normal appetite and is normal in herself. Would an x-ray help?

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I don't know, but my dog grazes like a cow whenever she has the chance! She's very healthy and has no ill effects, so I don't worry about it.

amaruq
May 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Oh yea mine too...but now mine have gotten picky and will only eat certain grass like shees! :rolleyes:

Chany
May 5th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I know dogs eat grass to help them digest or when they're sick. If this is fairly new behavior, if it concerns you and you can afford it, I probably would have an X-ray or at least talk to my vet especially since you've had the tennis ball incident. :)

Luba
May 5th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Most dogs do chomp on grass its the chlorophil I believe they are taking from it and its a digestive enzyme that will settle a pukey stomach or make them heave it up so to speak!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bill & Bob
May 5th, 2004, 01:23 PM
My friend and I walk our dogs every morning. Their dog seems to get bad belly every now and again for some reason. She eats grass then heaves it up with some grass mixed in with the bile. Seems to settle things out. My Bob grazes like a cow and doesn't react at all. He just eats it and that's that.
The other day he did start heaving though after eating grass and ended up throwing up some frothy stuff. Nothing bad, but that was the second time he's thrown up in 4 months. My opinion is that some eat grass for the grass, but also some swallow enough air during the process that makes them throw up because of the pressure in their bellies.
I've had a sore throat sometimes that was so bad I coughed until I could feel the air in my belly. End result....Me running to the bathroom getting sick.

MBRA518
May 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM
My rottie "grazes" too... unless we are that the barn... then she eats horse poop while they graze :rolleyes: She very rarely pukes because of it.

I agree, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless she starts puking or being consipated, then it may mean she is having problems.

But if it would make you feel better try the x-ray... but remember that the grass is growing fast and is propably pretty tasty this time of year, so that may be the only reason she just started this.

Good luck.

chico2
May 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
You all know kitty-cats eat grass and it usually comes back out one way or the other,my sweet little darlings always wait until back in the house and chose to chuck up on the one area-rug I have :D :D
If cats can eat grass,I am sure it's ok for doggies,somewhat like a salad :p

kasher+tazz
May 7th, 2004, 04:14 AM
She's not usually sick as far as i can see - maybe she just likes grass she does have cow spots after all...
:D

woodbyter
May 7th, 2004, 06:15 AM
My cats love grass and I grow it for them inside so they have it all winter.
My dogs love it only when they have an upset tummy. :D

CHLOROPHYLL
Many important natural substances are chelates. In chelates a central metal ion is bonded to a large organic molecule, a molecule composed of carbon, hydrogen, and other elements such as oxygen and nitrogen. One such chelate is chlorophyll, the green pigment of plants. In chlorophyll the central ion is magnesium, and the large organic molecule is a porphyrin. The porphyrin contains four nitrogen atoms that form bonds to magnesium in a square planar arrangement. There are several forms of chlorophyll.
Chlorophyll is one of the most important chelates in nature. It is capable of channelling the energy of sunlight into chemical energy through the process of photosynthesis. In photosynthesis, the energy absorbed by chlorophyll transforms carbon dioxide and water into carbohydrates and oxygen.

Luba
May 7th, 2004, 07:41 AM
ok ok so i spelled it wrong lmao

woodbyter
May 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I never mentioned or said you spelled it incorrectly or wrong !!!

I simply spelled it correctly.....

Don't argue with the professor..."LM bd O"

:p :p

woodbyter
May 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
:rolleyes:
And before too many inquiries clog the board LOL

"bd" is the international computer sign langauge for "butt cheeks".
Waist line pointing up

"pq" or you can reverse it. Legs pointing down.

You really have to be part of the "hip community of rural Michigan" to be up on all this stuff...LOL

SunnyT
July 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
my dog has been eating some grass over the last couple of days but has just recently started to gag and throw up bile .... he tried to eat yesterday but throw it up..... most of the time it is just the gagging thing he does and 1-10 time he throws up bile. anyone can help us?:confused:

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
SunnyT--Eating grass and throwing up can be a pretty normal dog behavior. Trying to eat and throwing up is not. Is he keeping any food down? If your dog is unable to eat, he needs to see a vet asap.

I hope he's okay! :fingerscr

Etown_Chick
July 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I guess I'm lucky, as my dog only eats quack grass. I just wish he'd eat enough to keep it under control..lol.

Every dog I"ve ever known does this but if you're worried you can always go back to the vet.