Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feline Asthma - Please help

kahula
July 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hello,

This is sort of a follow up to my post about a week or so ago Cat Coughing. My Missy was rushed to emergency yesterday and it is now confirmed she has asthma. We came home with a diagnoses of mild asthma and a prescription for prednisone for 9 days also to follow up with my regular vet in a couple days to determine long term treatment.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice, words to share, as I am totally freaked out. I haven't been able to stop crying (not sure why) but I am very scared, scared to leave her alone, scared that she will have another attack, scared that I have no idea what has triggered this and what I can do to help her. Although for once my vet clinic was very good at speaking to me, I am terrified that I have to leave her alone while I am at work. Does anyone have anything that will help me put this into perspective? I love my kitties soo much and it just sends me over the edge when I can't make it go away.:sad:

P.S. I am soo aware that this could be soo much worse and there are soo many dealing with much more serious illnesses, I am just for some reason not dealing with this very well and was hoping to talk to somone that maybe has some experience.

sugarcatmom
July 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
Aww, sorry to hear that it is indeed asthma. I don't have any personal experience but I do know of many people that are successfully treating their cat's asthma. The first thing I'd suggest is reading everything on this website: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/ especially the part about inhaled meds. There is a device you can get called an AeroKat (http://www.aerokat.com/) that allows the use of metered dose inhalers such as Flovent and Albuterol, which can provide better control than just the pred alone and results in fewer side effects. Definitely talk to your vet about it.

I know how scary it can be to find out your furry loved one has a chronic disease. For me, I find learning as much as I can about the problem really helps. I think it's the unknown that can be the worst.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the asthma, I know it's a rotten thing to have first hand, poor kitty. And don't ever feel guilty for worrying about your babies. It may not be as bad as some but it's what you have to deal with right now, so it is very important. I know I am a stressed out wreck whenever any of mine get sick in any way!

I agree that doing all the research you can and working with your vet are probably going to make you feel better and maybe you'll be able to figure out what causes the attacks in the process.

And good luck to you and your kitty, I'm sure you'll find a way to live with this new development. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry your kitty is sick, kahula. I know how nerve-wracking it can be to have a pet that isn't feeling 100%. :grouphug:

I hope you and your vet can find the triggers for Missy's asthma and work out a good maintenance routine for her. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

jmjones20000
July 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Can i just say that i am totally with you on this one. My cat just got diagnosed with asthma yesterday and i am so scared. I too cried all night long, knowing that it could be worse, but i just feel so bad watching her have these little asthma attacks. How are the meds working? Are they expensive? i dont get to pick mine up till tomorrow after the final blood test is done. Im glad i found someone who is going through this too. Noone seems to understand how important a cat can be to someone. Im sad.

rainbow
July 12th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Kahula and jmjones 20000, sorry to hear about your kitties asthma. :sad: I hope this website is of some help:

http://www.felineasthma.org/

kahula
August 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone, sorry I disappeared, this has been a very frustrating few weeks.

Well the good news is I found a vet that I like very much, she has been very wonderful with us since the emergency visit. She is not soo convinced that this is asthma. She saw a video I took of her and thinks it might be more gastrointestinal. I did some research and let her know that I wasn't soo sure, she has been great for working with me.

Missy finished her prednisone and everything seemed to be going well until last weekend she had another coughing fit. And then again today. I am still not convinced myself it is asthma although I don't know what else it could be. I would still love to hear from anyone who has any experience.

I knew this morning (and not I'm not crazy :) but I could tell we would have an attack, last sunday as well as today, she seemed to be snorting from being stuffed up as well as a wet runny nose and sure enough this afternoon it happened. I had asked the doctor if the runny nose would be related but she didnt seem to think so.

I am very frustrated because I don't know for sure what we're dealing with, I am scared she is having more attacks that I am not aware of, and it's very hard to leave her here all day long alone. I also don't want to rush to a conclusion because I'm frustrated but at the same time I don't want to keep looking for something when it very well could be asthma I just don't want to accept it.

AGHHHH.

Thanks for everyone once again for the advice and support.