Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lanky cat?

pags
July 3rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hey guys! I took Sahara the almost two-year old cat to the vet this morning for a follow-up to an appointment last month and I'm still at a loss.

I took him in originally because he was eating normally but not seeming to gain any weight... his brother and sister both look a lot chunkier than he does at this point. At the first vet visit - they checked for worms and all those goodies... and he got a de-worming 'just in case'.

So today's visit was a check-up to see if anything has changed. And.. well.. it hasn't. He isn't LOSING weight... But he isn't gaining weight. He weighs just at 8 pounds. (his brother weighs over 9. his sister weighs 6 1/2 but is a small kitty.) The doc said he looks good... his heart sounds good... he seems healthy... just.. gangly for his size. He is a very tall cat.

I'm supposed to keep an eye on him for another few weeks... make sure he's eating everything ... no unusual behavior... no vomitting, diarrhea, etc. So that's what I'm doing...

The vet believes that if all else remains the same that he will 'fill out' as he gets older. What I'm asking you guys is has anyone had a 'thin-framed' cat that filled out as they aged? I think I'm MOSTLY worried because I'm constantly comparing him to his siblings...

meg4050
July 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yup this is exactly how my Midnight was. Up until he was about 8 years old when he got a bladder infection and had to go on a special diet. But until that point he was always lanky and thin - people in the neighbourhood used to think he was a stray! But he was always very healthy...just took awhile to gain weight..and then was fairly plump for the rest of his years!

chico2
July 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Pags,my Rocky went from 16lb's to 12 in a very short time,he had a urine-test and bloodwork done and it was found he's Hyperthyroidism,he is 11yrs old.
He eats like a little piglet,but his weight is staying at 12lb's,at least he's not losing any more.
He gets a 1/4 of a 5mg pill twice a day and he's fine.
He was also very talkative and hyper,also some of the symptoms of Thyroidproblems.
Did they check your kitties blood?

pags
July 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
chico -- they did do blood tests but i honestly don't know what they were screening for!! I will call in the morning and ask if they did any thyroid panels! Thank you!!!

And by the way -- talkative & hyper definitely describes this boy. (He's also a constant purr fest.... a motor boat.) But he is absolutely non-stop movement.
So now I'm really intrigued!

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thats been my Palomine lately too... hyper always talking and very fussy about his food. He used to be a pretty beefy cat though more like Chico's boy. I figured it was just the added exersise from being in a house but maybe I should get him checked out. Thanks for posting this thread!

But also, my brother has a cat that is very tall and very lanky too, it's just his body type. He eats well and gets pretty wrangy but is perfectly healthy.

Cats come in all shapes and sizes and just because they are related doesn't mean they will all have similar growth experiences. As long as he's healthy, (hopefully it's NOT the thyroid problem:fingerscr ) I wouldn't worry.

abudamunky
July 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
my midget kitty, can u guess how she got her name(?). Was about 10 or 12 and always looked like a kitten. Her son is also long and lanky, ruffus probably about 8 lbs and her probably never more than 6. Some cats are just born w/ small frames, like people. If the tests come out fine, then u'll just have a small lap cat for ever. Midget kitty was also a motor boat. u look at her or say her name and u could hear her purring down the hall. :laughing:

chico2
July 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Pags,with Rocky they tested urine and blood for,Diabetes(sp?),UTI and Thyroidproblems.
Rocky also has a problem with his backlegs,loss of musclemass,probably from losing 4lbs which is a lot in a cat.
He always was a big cat,large paws,long legs..now he's smaller,but seems otherwise like his regular self.
Good Luck with your Sahara,he might be a little young for thyroidprobs..

Winston
July 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Pags...my two are brother and sister! Tabitha is 6 pounds and my boy Bomber is 8 pounds.....They look bigger than they are because they have some long hair..BUT their weight has not changed in the past 5 years!! They are 10 years old now and it never changes! They are healthy!!

So maybe you just have some small kitties!!

Cindy

bendyfoot
July 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I wish I had your problem...my three kitties struggle to keep the weight OFF!!! :crazy:

Love4himies
July 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
My two cats Snowball (1991-2005 RIP) never strayed from his 8lbs until he passed away, and Puddles who is now 11 yrs never strayed from her 8lbs even though they have always had unlimited food. Neither was overly active.

My Jasper who is approx 5 yrs (physically according to his vet, mentally he is a 6 month old kitten), is super hyper (I call him my cat with ADHD), does not overly eat, is 12.5 lbs. about 3 lbs more than he should for his frame. I had all the blood tests done on him, but all are normal. Maybe he is a closet overeater and I should put up a hidden camera in their food area:laughing: to see if he waits until we go to bed and sneaks into his food bag.

So I guess all cats are different and as long as they are healthy and happy that's what counts.

pags
July 4th, 2007, 10:15 AM
LOL Love4Himies!! A closet overeater. :D

Thank you guys! I feel much, much better. I did call the office today and the tech said according to the file they ran urine and blood tests and did check for signs of thyroid issues or diabetes. Then she was nice enough (I guess I sounded worried still LOL) to go get the doctor and put him on the phone... He said he honestly believes that Sahara has recently gone through another growth spurt and hasn't completely finished his muscular development (I just thought he'd be done with all that by now but apparently not!) -- and as long as he continues eating well etc he'll fill out. BUT like all you guys said -- he also said if he doesn't turn out to be a chunky cat that I don't need to panic either. :o

Thank you again!!

kiara
July 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Better a slim cat, than a cat that is even slightly overweight. Stop worrying. Maybe the other two are eating his food and you have not noticed? Some just love to eat and overeat and steal food from their siblings. Or maybe he is not a big eater? Watch them eat, maybe this is going on?

chico2
July 5th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Pags,that's good to hear:thumbs up
I have never had a cat who weighs less than 12lb's,Chico and Vinnie are both 16lb+ and Rocky has put on a lb at 13.5 lb's,I would not say,that anyone of them is obese,they are just big cats..some are big,some are small.