Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate Question

Riluke
July 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
We have had Luke for several weeks now uncrated. At first I was against crating as my parents did not crate their dog, however after lots of reading I am beginnning to think that crating might be the best way to go for him.

My concern is will he take to the crate after being uncrated now for several weeks. Have others had success when they changed over to crating?

luckypenny
July 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
My concern is will he take to the crate after being uncrated now for several weeks. Have others had success when they changed over to crating?

Absolutely. Start slow using treats and favorite toys for short periods of time. Before you know it, he'll learn to love his crate and associate it with good times. We adopted our Lucky as an adult and, even though it took a while to get him accustomed to it, it has become his favorite spot. Especially when he's feeling anxious or overwhelmed. It also keeps him safe when we are not home.

Just remember that, in my opinion, it's not a good thing to leave your dog in it for extended periods of time if he is a puppy (or an adult for that matter). If you work long hours during the day, have a friend, neighbor, family member, or dog walker let him out to eliminate and to walk/play with him for at least 1/2 an hour every 3 to 4 hours.

Riluke
July 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Just remember that, in my opinion, it's not a good thing to leave your dog in it for extended periods of time if he is a puppy (or an adult for that matter). If you work long hours during the day, have a friend, neighbor, family member, or dog walker let him out to eliminate and to walk/play with him for at least 1/2 an hour every 3 to 4 hours.

I agree. Right now i have been coming home at lunch to feed him, let him out for a bathroom break and a little play time. We are looking to hiring someone during the summer (like one of our neighbour's older 'responsible' teens) to do this job. My husband is home a lot during the winter so he would take over at that point.

Thank you for your input, its very helpful to get insight from someone who has had that success with an older dog.

maltesegirl
July 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
He should be just fine learning to be crated at any age :) . However, In my opinion it is important to remember that he will not be used to it at first, and most likely will put up a little fuss, but after a week this should subside. I didnt crate my first maltese until around six months. He didnt like it at first, becuase it was unfamiliar to him. Now he loves it. In fact every once and a while my bf and I let the dogs (2 maltese) sleep on the bed as a treat :rolleyes: ....when he gets annoyed with the more rambunctious (sp?) female...he jumps off and goes in his crate for a retreat, :cloud9: lol...he will actually pull the door open with his little paw to climb in (granted that its not in the locked position) :laughing: :thumbs up Good Luck