Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Baby Blue Jay...

krdahmer
July 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
There is a baby blue jay who keeps hopping into my window well, I lifted him out with a shovel and observed that he doesn't seem to be able to use the left wing. His parents (a male and female jay) are stuck to him like glue and squawking a LOT... making sleep almost impossible here. I don't want to just put him far from the house because I don't want to serve him up to the neighbourhood cats. I can't bring him in my house and have no shed/ or enclosure to keep him in. I'm an optomist and am hoping there is someone or a group or something that deals with wildlife rescue in the Niagara Falls area. I have a call in to a Wildlife Humane removal place and maybe they'll be able to suggest something. But until then, does anyone have any ideas? So far I put a small box and some suet down into the window well.

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Is there a window sill or some place off the ground away from vegetation that a cat or raccoon could climb up on to get to the little guy? Will he stay in the box? If so, put him in the box in that place if you can till the wildlife rescue gets back to you. As long as the parents are squawking, they're still feeding him, so you don't want to bring him inside. Make sure the parents can get in the box to feed him--but don't be surprised if they convince him to climb out of the box. They'll not know he's hurt and will be encouraging him to fly. And keep an eye out for crows. Even if the cats and coons can't get to him, the crows might try if he's small enough.

:fingerscr that someone can come out and evaluate the wing. If it's not broken, he may do just fine and not need rehab!

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Hazel, the poor little guy is in my basement window well... but I hear him this mornin so no critters got to him last night. He is a pretty big baby, has most of his feathers and just a fluffy head. I imagine it was just a really bad first flight, he may have even hit one of our windows and then dropped into the well. I knew not to touch him so I still hear the parents squawking, and the box was just like a tray with some paper in it so he could keep warm and a piece of suet in case the parents didn't come around. In the falls phone book I only see one wildlife place but I do hope they at least call back.
I know a neighbour from my last place that took in a baby Robin and when it was older it still used to fly into her window and visit. She didn't have 6 cats though... :rolleyes:

Longblades
July 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Probably what it needs most desperately is water. The link is to an info sheet which lists their food. If you are in Ontario it is illegal for you to keep a wild bird in captivity. Has the wildlife refuge place got back to you yet? There is one near me but Midland is too far for you to drive.

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Ya the guy called back and said that as long as the parents are still feeding it, to leave it alone as that is its best bet. Animal control would come but just kill it if it's injured and other than that there is nothing in this area. So I lifted it out of the well again and the parents must have taken it somewhere (they were still around him and watching me like hawks!) because he hasn't come back. His wing was definitely broken :sad: , so I know its a long shot, so I just pray for him and hope he finds a place to hide and heal and that the parents continue to feed him.:pray:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
That's sad, krdahmer, but you did what you could :grouphug: I guess it's nature's way, but it seems so pointless when it's something as potentially easy to fix as a broken bone... sigh :sad:

I wish you could get the little guy here--we have a wonderful wildlife rehab center not too far down HWY 12 from here...

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
It's such a shame, there seems to be nothing in this area and everyone's solution to an injured wild animal/bird is to kill it. Just because this is a city, doesn't mean that the wildlife just disappears, or that we have no responsibility to co-exist peacefully with it. I've had many occassions where a wild animal was trapped (a possum on a fence that some old italian jerk was poking with a broom-we called for help, no one came, but we did have some 'words' with the italian man) or injured (the bird/ a racoon whose tail had been run over and was stuck to the road)... and every time I call the humane society or a 'wildlife' type company (here mainly 'removal' people) the answer is always the same, just let nature take its course or we can come take it away (as in kill it). And did you know that our humane society will not even make the trip out for an injured (I called for one that was hit by a car) or abandoned cat. Dogs they jump through hoops for but cats are all on their own!!! :mad:
I'm just glad that there are a couple of really great rescues at work here for the pets. If I knew more and had more resources I'd love to rescue every type of creature and give them all a chance, but then as my parents say I can't save them all. :sad: I sure would like to try though.

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
ya, it always struck me as ironic that private citizens have to have licenses up the wazoo to keep and treat wild animals when the authorities just kill them if they're wounded. In a lot of situataions it seems like keeping and treating them illegally if no other help is available would be more humane than letting them be killed outright! :frustrated: At least they'd have a chance then!

I know, I know...health hazards and sickos mistreating animals and all that... Still, it seems a shame that someone who might be able to help can't do it legally...even if supervised by a licensed rehabber... :shrug:

I'm just so happy I found this rehab place in Fall Creek. I don't often have business for them, but if something comes up, I now have a place to call. I usually send them our acorns in the fall for the orphaned baby bears--and donations when I can. They're always short of funds! They do good work! :thumbs up

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Ya I'm on a mission now.... I'm gonna search the whole Niagara Region for something. I do drive and I wouldn't mind at all if I could get help somewhere. Heck I'd prob go as far as Hamilton if I had to. There... my project for tomorrow! :)

And acorns for baby bears... too cute... good for you! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
And acorns for baby bears... too cute... good for you! :goodvibes:

It actually kills two birds with one stone (not literally, of course...just an unfortunate figure of speech :eek: :p) since it keeps the dogs from eating the acorns. Setters have a taste for acorns apparently...but the acorns cause embarrassing flatulence... :o Since I was picking the nuts up inside the fence anyway (the acorn nuts, not the nutty dogs :p), I was delighted to finally find someone who could put them to good use (the nuts, not the dogs :D)! :thumbs up