Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ever Met Anyone Famous

Lukka'sma
July 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I don't mean you had concert tickets and saw someone on stage, or tickets to a talk show, I mean have you ever bumped into someone famous walking down a street...on a plane...store...at a resort...restaurant?

Byrd
July 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Tim Omundson... from Xena, Judging Amy, Psych, Jericho. Went to a convention in Detroit for the honour.

wdawson
July 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
red green.....was doing work on the boat next to his.

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Some guys from Metallica in a rock bar downtown Montreal after one of their shows at the forum. Lots of french quebecers actors and actresses. 2 hockey players (don't remember their names, they were from Washington) Mike Ridgley ? Think the other was the team's captain. We were in a Burger King in Montreal , very late in the evening. Waiting in line and started to talk with them without knowing who they were.That was about 15 yr ago :shrug:

dragon_queen
July 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
got my pic taken with Frankie Muniz from Malcolm in the Middle. Sat with Larry Robinson (hockey) many years ago, I was working at wh smith and he was there to autograph his book. I've met a few British actors fron the Bill, Eastenders and one other show i can't remember the name of.

mastifflover
July 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I have met quite a few, working in film I do meet many. I worked on Chicago and met the entire cast, Richard Gere, Renee Z, Catherine Zeta Jones Queen Latifah..... Death to Smoochy and numerous other ones. Most are nice some are just a$$es. The big stars are much better than the ones that are not quite there yet.

dtbmnec
July 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think I've met anyone famous and since the concert I went to (Hanson) doesn't count.....

My brother on the other hand has a autograph/made steak for Wayne Gretzky's father :D. He was in town doing a book signing and liked his steak so much he gave Dar an autograph (on monogrammed paper and everything). :)

Other than that....nada....

Yay for living in the "boonies" and away from the "real world" *sigh*

Megan

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
2 hockey players (don't remember their names, they were from Washington) Mike Ridgley ? Think the other was the team's captain.

Just remembered the other guys's name ; Kevin Hatcher. Altough they're not really famous. I was sitting in front of a Canadian hockey player at a football 's game once (Les Alouettes) but I didn't know him , my BIL did. I used to hang out in Montreal a lot (living there when I was young) so I'm sure I saw others well know people that I don't remember.

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Yep - too many politicians, I have met every Prime Minister except Lester Pearson but since we are talking celebs, I won't count politicians. I met Jimmy Carter once - now he is more famous than our PM's I think, lol Met the elder Mr. Bush once - he was at a golf tournament in Moncton. I prefer Carter though! :)

I met Hillary Clinton when she received an honouary degree at a Univ whose Board I am on. (Met quite afew people from that board and from other boards - too many politicians and others in the news so to speak to mention).

I'd LOVE to meet Paul McCartney (now he is what I consider famous!) but alas, I am too young to ever have attended a Beatles concert! I met Denny Doherty (late of the Mamas and Papas - he recently died) because the man who operated Theodore Tugboat (if you have young children in Canada, you will know of that show). was on our hospital board and another friend was doing the photography and I often would go to meetings at the building where the studio is. I met Dan Hill at a party in Saskatoon of all places )I think of that joke by Dave Broadfoot (?) - forget the name, guy on Air Farce that he spent a month one weekend in Saskatoon - for the record, I rather enjoyed Saskatoon even tho it was -40 when I was there -for a political meeting of all things, lol)

I met Fidel Castro since I went to Cuba with a doctor friend who knew him. She used to be a rather left leaning MP in Guyana - is back there actually. he was v, interested in Doctors without Borders and wanted to know more- I was quite impressed! Since she knew him, we got to see more of Cuba than most tourists. It was most intriguing!

I have met a plethora of business leaders - some due to my father, some due to my own work. I have a cousin in the move biz so when the Shipping News was being filmed (in part) in Hfx, I met Kevin Spacey - he agreed to do a benefit for a hospital-- we auctioned off a dinner with him! And Judy Dench and the other actress in that whose name escapes me. In Halifax there is a restaurant called the Economy Show Shop where if you want to see celebs, you are sure to see at least one since the owner was once in the movie business - but we rarely go there.

I have met Joni Mitchell because she has a home near a friend of mine on the Sunshine coast of BC. And I met the singer Nanci Griffith in Ireland - LOVE her music. I know many of the Maritime musicians given that my bf comes from Mabou, Cape Breton and is related to the several from there and another from Troy. (Maritimers wil know who I mean, lol - I hate to name names; bf would not like it and I concur. It is not a Cape Breton way.)

And as said already, I know more politicians than is good for me! (as in some of best friends are in politics, lol) Even our NS Premier - I will not comment on his actions of late! TOO political, lol and I don't want to argue with my bf over it either. He is also some distance cousin - I think everyone in Mabou is Inverness is related by at least 3 degrees of separation, lol

I know too many journalists too but I do not consider them celebs. Even if they are on TV, lol

There are prob others but they escape me at the moment. I sat on a plane once with the manager of a famous rock band and with the former moderator of the United Church of Canada - quite the combination I thought, lol

Ohhhhhhm , how could I forget! I met Lady Diana twice - both times in NB at dinners. (Prince Charles too but I talked to her, not him, lol) and I met the Queen and Prince Philip at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto in `1984.

x.l.r.8
July 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
I guess I'm lucky,
Courtny Pine 'Saxophonist' (well actually I was looking after Gushard Pine).
Trevor Leota 'All-Blacks Hooker',
In my first real job I was invited to a working diner with my boss and a close friend, that friend turned out to be Alice Cooper!.
Nick Berry 'heartbeat and one hit single' but he's also my cousin.
Lady Dianna many times, I looked after two of her favourite patients when they were at their sickest.
Dave Gilmore 'pink floyd' tried to teach me the basics on gutair and I failed him miserably.
Legends in their own lunch time, Sir Magdi Yacoub, Dr Bernie Valman
Right Said Fred 'I used to race go-carts against them'.
however I'm still waiting for Meg Ryan to turn up on my door step.:shrug:

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
If you are waiting for Meg, I am waiting for Sir Paul, lol

How did you like Princess Diana?

I am afraid I do not recognize many of the other names except RSFred and Alice Cooper, both of whom sing music I was not that fond of tho was it not RSFred who sang that silly song, "I'm too sexy" - it was kind of cute. Who are the others? Musicians?

Then again, I am sure you do not know Maritimes singers either! Interesting - who we consider celebs - curious thread!

I also forgot hockey players - met a few, have a cousin who plays for Mtl Canadians even tho I am a Bruins fan and have met Bobby Orr when I was a child and he was a big star fro the Bruins! I also met and introduced Ken Dryden - BEFORE politics- at an environmental meeting. And my dad intorduced me to Gordie Howe. Never met Gretzky tho. A few others and baseball players from watching the grapefruit league in Fla. Some "curlers". (Only in Canada and Scotland I am sure is that even remotely celeb, lol) I am sure there are others but I cannot recall them all.

I have treated cancer patients whose parents were celebs but I won't reveal that of course, for confidentiality reasons.

pags
July 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Pierce Brosnan at MD Anderson Medical Center in Texas -- he was there with his ailing wife at the same time and on the same wing as my father.

And Brett Farve... went to college with him. Of course he wasn't famous then, I guess... Only infamous.

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I saw someone met red Green - I met him too. he did our telethon one yr (hospital telethon) and was great! He seemed shy and quiet tho very friendly off screen! I never actually watched the show tho know about it and his duct tape of course. :laughing:

chico2
July 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
I saw and talked to Red Green,when working in a restaurant eons ago,his voice was the same as on TV,although I hated that show,really stupid!!
I also met the Beatles in 1967,at Heathrow(sp?) airport in London,I was on my way to Canada,with the kids,hubby was already there.....the paparazzi that was there,also took a pic of me and my 2 boys:laughing:
I also met the rockgroup The Doors at the same restaurant,Harold Ballard and his bitchy girlfriend,many Golf pro's,forgot the names.

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
omg Chico2 , you met the Beatles AND The doors ? :cloud9:

x.l.r.8, I would looove to meet Alice Cooper, I heard he's a very smart and cool guy.

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Stompin Tom Connors.

Lukka'sma
July 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Years ago I was a bartender at an army base and we were visited by Prince Philip. He was to be served a drink from our bar when he approached us and what I found very strange was we were not allowed to use the ice cubes our machine made, but were supplied with ice cubes from the princes entourage.
Burton Cummings came into a store I owned one time. He made one purchase of a book and left. Very low key and didn't have a word to say. He was accompanied by a 7' 300lb. monster that seemed to think Burton was oh so important.

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Nope, not here. I'm boring. :sad:

But honey has met a lot of people because he was in the entertainment business for years. Leann Rimes, Sara McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, Steve Avery (Baseball Pitcher), Shaquille O'Neal, the Colonel (Elvis' Colonel), Dolly Parton, Steve Morse (guitarist for Kansas), the entire group Alabama, all members of Motley Crue, Ace Freely, Lance Burton, Siegfried, Boy George, B-52s, REM, Howard Jones, Wayne Newton, Paul McCartney, Neil Diamond (he actually sat in for the piano player for a set), June Carter-Cash, Chichi Rodriguez, Bonnie Rait, Steve Martin, Carrottop, Penn and Teller, and the list goes on.

And to this day he claims Peyton Manning owes him a pitcher of beer.

jesse's mommy
July 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
And now he's on a roll and wants me to add Steve Vai, David Lee Roth, Doug Henning (hippie who started Magic on television), Kenny Chesney, the Judds, Diamond Rio, Dunn of Brooks and Dunn, etc., etc.

Lukka'sma
July 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I used to love to watch Doug Henning on the tube. May he :rip:

Rick C
July 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
In Florence, Italy recently, I came in from a run and there was Peter Bergen, the last journalist to interview Osama Bin Laden before 9/11 and a frequent contributor on networks like CNN, there in front of me talking to, I think, his wife.

While running down Central Park West in New York City a few years ago, Wolf Blitzer of CNN was swinging his brolly coming the other way.

On the same New York trip, Ed Asner was checking into the Mayflower, the same hotel we were at, as we walked by.

Dick Clark of American Bandstand, dressed gaudily in peach pants and a yellow shirt and tiny as can be, was hurrying through LA International a few years ago when we were passing through.

There have been more . . . . . memory blank right now.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
July 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
OMG Chico, you met the Beatles!! I am so envious- and a picture with them no less!! Oh my!!!!!! That trumps every silly politician I know, even the ones who are friends, lol :crazy:

erykah1310
July 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Well I met and totally insulted someone who was famous for a little while.
I was in the music store in Huntsville when I was working there, and this song came on...
"strip tease" by Hawksly Workman....
I looked at the lady who was working and said.. " I love this song, who sings it?"
This guy who I thought was just roaming around came up and said, " I do"
I laughed and said, " no buddy seriously who sings it"
His response... " Im serious, I do, Hawksley Workman"
I just kept on laughing and said,"alright then buddy, " and walked out.

A few weeks later I was back there and I saw the CD with that song on it... sure enough the guy on the cover was the guy I was laughing at!:o
Oooopps, should have atleast asked for an autograph between laughs!

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
:laughing: Erykah, that's funny! :D Sounds like something hazel would do if she ever got out enough to meet anyone...

But, since hazel doesn't, I'll have to answer a resounding NOPE! :o

Hubby, either...

The dogs...maybe :shrug: but they remain close-lipped about their past lives in the hollywood spotlight :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:

:laughing:

Stacer
July 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hmm, I haven't technically met any celebs, but I've had close encounters. My hubby (BF at the time) and I were sitting in a restaurant in New York city and we saw Steve Martin get out of a car and walk by the window we were sitting in, then several minutes later walked by again and got back in his car and drove off. Avril Lavigne was walking behind us a couple years ago as we were walking down Bloor St. in Toronto. A bunch of Canadian celebs we see all the time just walking around doing their thang: Hayden walking down Roncesvalles with his GF. We seem to see the guys from Sloan randomly everywhere we go in Toronto, can't count how many times. We pass Don McKellar all the time walking down College, he must live around College and Bathurst somewhere. Master T, former MuchMusic VJ, saw him a couple times out with his family. I thought I saw Sarah Harmer in my old neighbourhood going into a music studio, but that can't really be confirmed as I only saw her from behind, unless someone out there knows if she drives a Subaru station wagon? My hubby's cousin is Colin James, but I haven't met him yet.

Rick C
July 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Ah yes, another comes to mind . . . . . sitting for breakfast at Coogies in Malibu, in walks Jon Cusak and John McGinley (Scrubs) and they sit down one table away . . . . . passing a cellphone back and forth and chewing their food.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Byrd
July 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered another. I was in Manhattan and about to cross a street when this black SUV came charging around the corner and almost ran us over! At the wheel was Billy Crystal! My b/f at the time had the video camera rolling, we did a slow mo/freeze frame on it, and sure enough it was BC!

Not really meeting, but almost killed by.

Bearsmom
July 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
*Wesley Snipes (doing a paid duty for a movie shoot)

*Woody Harrelson

*Matthew Bodine

*Princess Anne

*Brian Mulroney

*George Bush Sr.

*Corbin Bernsen

They were all very nice, although George Bush Sr. scared the hell outta me (I don't know why). Princess Anne said I was a "stunning woman in uniform". Wesley and Woody both struck me as very very short. Very.

Frenchy
July 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Wesley and Woody both struck me as very very short. Very.

I looove Woody ! :cloud9: He's short ? Like what short ? 5"8 ? :goodvibes:

Bearsmom
July 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
No, more like 5'6" or so.

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
I always find it amazing when you meet someone someone who you previously only saw on TV or in pictures how many of them like the same, some of them differ in unusual little ways(height, weight and so forth) - it's the little things. Princess Diana was similar in person than on TV, very beautiful I thought - and I am no fan of the monarchy but she was more like a movie start anyway, lol

The thing that most surprised me of my "Royal" encounters so to speak - was in getting to meet the Queen. We had been given extensive directions from the Prime Minister's office (Brian Mulroney at the time) and there was extensive security - I can imagine how it would be NOW!! - about how to curtsy, not to speak until she spoke to you, yada yada - much of which almost said the heck with it but well, I wanted to share the moment with friends and so I went. But the thing I noticed most about her was she had blue eye shadow on!! Don't ask me why but that little tidit seemed something I had not expected, lol But she is a woman after all, lol

I cannot say that Bush Sr scared me but he was very overwhelming. Talked a lot and was very gregarious.

As for Jimmy Carter , he was at a rather exclusive fishing lodge near to a much lesser one my family has, lol - in northern NB.Quebec - and he was very kind and waved (both he and his wife Roslyn) and you could sense the warmth.

When I worked for a newspaper as a summer student, I interviewed a number of ppl who might be considered celebs- singers and so forth, too many politicians - usually running for the leadership of a national party (which is when I 1st met John Turner) but I have met so many more MP's in doing my own lobbying for various groups (Doctors assn and so on) but also because I belong to a political party, I've met so many more of them outside the confines of Parliament and the legislature. One then Sask cabinet Min almost got us thrown out of Mama Teresa's restaurant in Ottawa, lol he'd later be Premier and head a health care study, lol) and I have attended leadership conventions so met future Prime Ministers at those - only if "my" party (such as it is) wins tho, heheh One of my own doctors and later a prof at Harvard was the son of Justice Emmett Hall and I met him at a reception this prof had -that was kinda kewl because I later met Tommy Douglas and I think they both had much to do with our current health care system and Tommy Douglas (The Greatest Canadian) sent the best Christmas cards, even tho I did not know him that well!! (I did not even know till later that his grandson (Kiefer Sutherland) who I met a couple times, would become a movie star, lol - I guess I paid more attention to serious stuff! I was elected at a very young age and it was very bizarre on occasion to be debating with politicians in Ottawa who you once liked and now disagreed with. But I never thought they were any more important than regular citizens! And most do not who act like they are - just a few who must be insecure about some thing, lol

Anyway - I don't know who I define as celebs and who I don't and the fact that I do not recognize a lot of the names here tells me that we all have different ideas on who is a celeb and who isn't. A close friend who is an MP tells me she has a hard time to do her groceries because people come up to her and ask for help. Admittedly, I on occasion had similar issues and my mother would quip, "Well, that's what you get for putting your picture on a post", lol (Some Irish joke I think, but she has a point.) If you do not want to assist people , you have no business in politics or medicine or anything like public service!.One of my best friends - my roommate from when I lived on a kibbutz in Israel is a mbr of the Knesset now and she has to have body guards (worse than worrying about grocery shopping I think!) and I am not sure I could do that - too much privacy lost I think - tho she grew up with her, her father was also in the Knesset- and they have such a different system than we do with one of the purest form of [proportional representation. (but that's another debate, lol)

I thought of another hockey player I met - someone with a weird sense of humour who knew I was a Bruins fan sat me next to Jean Belliveau at a dinner - but he was very polite and most congenial. I didn't even ask for an autograph (I hate to do that but now I kind of wish I had, lol) Now I did ask Bobby Orr for one ands he brought me (I was in the hospital in Boston) a huge signed picture of hi with all his trophies!

Anyway - nuff of this stuff... :)

chico2
July 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh no CK,no picture with the Beatles,if I had one I would have saved it and posted it:laughing: although I was never a big fan of them.
The paparazzies were done taking pics of them and one asked if he could take pics of me and the kids,he thought we were cute,sitting there waiting for or connection to Toronto(first time flying,no less,scared to death:laughing: )

joeysmama
July 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Oh Chico and Cyber Kitten I am sooo jealous !!! I adore Judi Dench and the Beatles !!! If I had met those people I could die a happy woman !!

I've had some celebrity "sightings". I always think they're fun. I met the Northstars in an airport when I was in college. We said hello to Frank McCourt when we were staying at the same hotel in Boston. Saw Steven Tyler and Aerosmith in the lobby of the same hotel--same visit. Also met Malachy McCourt at a book signing. He was great fun. Saw Phil Rizzuto at a restaurant and Edie Adams at the same restaurant 10 years later. I saw the guy who plays Jackson on All My Children. We were in The Rainbow Room in NY at Christmas time and he was next to us on the dance floor. And Edward Albee was at the next table once when we were having a drink at The Marriott Marquee in NY.

I was backstage a couple times for the road tour of Annie Get Your Gun and I saw, but didn't meet, Tom Wopat and Larry Storch. Wopat had his shoes off and Storch his shirt. Too bad it wasn't the other way around.:rolleyes:

I met Rhea Perlman and Richard Kind backstage at The Tale of The Allergists Wife. Rhea Perlman is so pretty in person and has a really great figure.

I'm actually friends with a celebrity. Marilu Henner from Taxi, and Evening Shade. That's how I managed to see those other celebrities backstage. She's such a sweetheart !! Very smart and funny and just really darling.

Oh my daughter is a dancer and this past year she met the guy who played the lead in Center Stage. I don't know his name but he played Cooper Nielsen. She said he was really really nice and down to earth.

Okay--I'm still green with envy over The Beatles and Judi Dench !!! If I could meet them--oh and Paul Reiser--I'd be one of those bumbling idiots who just trips over their tongue trying to get the words out.

Rick C
July 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Another one, in 1993, I was at a Liberal fundraiser (hard to believe but the boss dragged me there) at the Palliser Hotel in Calgary and had Jean Chretien, before he became PM, sitting down beside me to yack it up . . . . . wow, talk about bad breath!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh Gawd, Jean Chretien, lol (I don't think I ever darken the doors of a Liberal dinner , a Liberal anything for that matter, lol tho when I worked for the newspaper I had to interview Liberal leadership candidates and I can actually say some of my best friends are Liberals, lol (NOT Jean Chretien tho!) I have met him on several occasions and he is quite the talker (read schmoozer) but I was never really taken with him, as they say . When my brother was in univ, M. Chretien borrowed a NB riding to get elected in and the Tories did not run a candidate (a tradition as you know which begs the question of all the issues re Elizabeth May who is a friend - not that I will vote for the Green Party you understand, lol - but I digress). So he did not know who to vote for so he had to vote for another party as a protest vote rather than vote Liberal. (I suspect many Tories just stayed home.)

Anyway - that is enough space about him, lol (I still like Jean Charest even tho he is now a Liberal, lol)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I used to work in a daycare in Vancouver - back in 1987. This man came in and starting chatting to me and asking questions and stuff. I am like you look so familiar.. anyways we chatted for a bit then he left... and got in a jeep with a stunning blond women.. that drove her cheap across the grass at the park. As soon as they left.. the other two girls that I worked with came inside.. and were like do you know who that was.... I said he looked familiar.

Turned out to be Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.!:D

When I was about 9 I saw the entire Osmond family in the first class lounge at an airport in LA.. I remember Donny was really mad cause they didnt have his luggage.

I saw Tori Spelling at Starbucks in North Vancouver back in 1996. I think thats it for me.:D