Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

something wrong?

AtomicLadybug
July 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
Hi, i'm a new member. I have aquestion about my male cat. He's 7, fixed but yet sometimes he makes a deep kinda crying noise, most times just before he goes poop. not always, otherwise he seems healthy, he eats well, plays lots, but seems a little bit more snuggly than usual. I don't have a car so taking him to the vet can be difficult, besides it stresses him out so much that I hate to do it unless its an emergency........any ideas? :sad:

badger
July 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Is his poo OK? Overly dry? Any blood? Does he pay alot of attention to his bum (dumb question ;) but you know what I mean)?
If he's only on dry food and is not a good drinker, he might be having some pain when he goes.
Anal gland problems are another possibility.
Or maybe it's just that deep sigh of relief we're all familiar with :laughing: :laughing: .

kiara
July 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Since your cat is now a senior, I would find a way to take him to a vet just to be sure. He may not be drinking enough or is constipated and it hurts when he goes. At his age everything "slows down".

erinsoliver
July 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
I do hope I can do this posting.....I'm keeping my daughter's cat, Oliver, and yesterday noticed that his fur is matted really bad. How can I un-mat it? Several things have changed around the house in the past two weeks - keeping a dog for my sister and my parents came for a week (allergic to cats), so I kept Oliver in an extra bedroom. Not much grooming time at all. Now I need help badly! Any suggestions?

AtomicLadybug
July 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hi, yes he drinks lots of water, I have a huge basin with a waterfall to keep the water freshw/ filter, and I monitor how much he drinks. also he doesn't attend to his butt any more than his sister does. They also get wet food a couple times a week, and feeding really high end food hasn't made a difference (I tried Iams for 6 months, but am back to med high the brand they like) also Like I said he gets VERY stressed, and the stress very often gets him more sick, so ......all the input helps thanks......please input if you have a thought.:thumbs up

chico2
July 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Atomicladybug,first I'd like to say,7yrs old is NOT a senior cat,sorry Kiara,but 7 is definetly not senior for a cat.
I would feed this kitty wet food more often than a couple of times a week,I don't know what dry food you are feeding,but if it is a low grade grocerystore-food,with a lot of fillers,it might be the reason he is constipated and straining to poop.
If it does not change,I would take him to a vet.Good Luck!

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with Chico. If feeding him more wet food doesn't help then he should definitely see a vet. What are you feeding him now? Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
I do hope I can do this posting.....I'm keeping my daughter's cat, Oliver, and yesterday noticed that his fur is matted really bad. How can I un-mat it? Several things have changed around the house in the past two weeks - keeping a dog for my sister and my parents came for a week (allergic to cats), so I kept Oliver in an extra bedroom. Not much grooming time at all. Now I need help badly! Any suggestions?

It gets too confusing to answer different questions in someone else's post. You need to start a new thread of your own. :o

dudabug
July 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
If your cat needs to drink more water.....what ive always done is put a lil dry food in a bowl and add a lil water (sometimes warm water) . Sometimes it will make a lil bit of "gravy" and all three of my kitties love it..... well my two kittens....I lost my Blade last week.

sugarcatmom
July 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
If your cat needs to drink more water.....what ive always done is put a lil dry food in a bowl and add a lil water (sometimes warm water) . Sometimes it will make a lil bit of "gravy" and all three of my kitties love it..... well my two kittens....I lost my Blade last week.

Read my post here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=446687#post446687) on why adding water to dry food isn't really such a good idea.

growler~GateKeeper
July 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
all three of my kitties love it..... well my two kittens....I lost my Blade last week.

dudabug :sorry: about your loss :grouphug:

AtomicLadybug "most times just before he goes poop. not always"

IMO it sounds like he needs to go to the vet, I know you said it stresses him out & with no car - is there someone who could drive you? Try checking w/ your local cab companies if you mention you have a cat in a carrier they usually have a driver who doesn't mind animals. I take my girl:cat: in her carrier on the bus she's scared & not thrilled - would rather a car ride but has always been a good traveler.

I've heard that sometimes they can have a constipation-blockage but still poop around it.

Does he look like he is straining?
Could also be his anal glands are blocked :yuck: my sister's 10yr+ male cat recently had swollen, painful glands, they were actually popped out of place from straining when pooping - it hurt to sit, to go etc he needed his glands expressed (better to have the vet do that :laughing: stinky) & some pain treatment but thankfully didn't need surgery :)

hope this helps:fingerscr keep us up to date :goodvibes:

AtomicLadybug
July 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Yes I think I will ty to get him to the vet, I just noticed that his ears are hot as well as he hasen't been sleeping in bed with me like usual. I'm also so sorry to hear about your pets passing dudabug, at least he's in kitty heaven now.....

CyberKitten
July 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I too am sorry about the loss of your pet. He'll be at Rainbow Bridge, waiting for you! :grouphug:

AtomicLadybug - I too think a vet visit would be a good idea, just to make sure nothing is wrong. Then if it a nutritional problem, I would feed him more wet food and give him more water somehow (tho he will get it with wet food). I too never feed dry food, I call it kitty junk food. Perhaps you have a neighbour or a relative or friend who can drive you or call a cab and see if they will take pets- many do, in a carrier. Even as was suggested the bus is an alternative.

Good luck!!