Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another Spaying question - Sorry!

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but I'm new to all of this. Vlad and Oksana are doing well, but I'm a little concerned about the Little Miss. The area where her incision is looks a little bumpy and it feels hard.

It's not red and there's nothing oozing from it. They have both been eating as usual and sleeping quite a bit. As much as I've been trying to keep them calm, they've been playing like mad. I've had to separate them a couple of times, because I'm afraid that in their rough play Oksana's wound will open.

I'm considering taking Oksana to the vet, because I just don't know if her wound is supposed to be bumpy and hard. Is that just part of the healing process?

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm sure Oksana is fine as long as none of the stitches have opened and not oozing. I would however try and keep them from playing together. Do you have an elizabethan collar for her?

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Shoot! I don't have one. I was thinking about asking them for one at the vet's office but I didn't think they'd be this active. They've just had another spurt of energy and settled in for another rest. I'll keep a watch out for her. She's so cute. I've been sitting next to her and she just stares at me. I wonder if she thinks if she goes to sleep she'll wake up in that cage. Vlad's a typical male, he's off on his little bed without a care in the world.

clm
July 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Gabby felt well enough to play after a couple of days and it was almost impossible to keep her quiet. Roughhousing with the other cats, running, jumping, etc. She ended up with a fair bump on where the incision was, but it smoothed out after the stitches were removed. Just keep an eye on it and make sure she's not licking it a lot or it's not red or oozing.

Cindy

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, its hard keeping them from playing. I wound up having to take Vlad back. His little wound looked red and he wound up having stomach issues. They gave me some antibiotics for him and a collar, but I had that collar on him for not even a minute and had to take it off. He started hissing at Oksana and just going nuts. I can't stress him out like that. I'll just have to keep an eye on him and make sure he's not licking himself.

badger
July 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM
Can you separate them for 24 hours or so or is that out of the question :) ? As far as I know, vets use dissolving stitches for spays. When Wheezy had the same kind of stitches for his head wound, they felt surprisingly lumpy at the beginning but disappeared on their own with no problem.

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
It would be hard to separate them because I'd have to keep one in the living area and the other in the bedroom. I'd hate to leave either one lonely, because Vlad is already used to having Oksana around, and she's not been alone but for a week since she was born.

She's being very active so don't think I have to worry about her. I did however have to take Vlad back to the vet. He's had some stomach issues and his little nuts are looking a bit red. They gave me some antibiotics for him and told me to just watch him. They also gave me a collar but I had it on him and had to take it off. He went nuts and started hissing at Oksana. I can't stress him out like that. I'll just have to keep him from licking himself as much as possible.