Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab mix can only eat soft food...

garbola
July 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
My 4 year old lab mix started vomiting two weeks ago. I took her to the vet two days after the symptoms started & they put her on Centrine #10 tabs & sent her home with canned, easily digestible food. I kept her on that food for approximately a week & she kept it down fine so I then tried adding a small amount of solid food in with it & she immediately regurgitated. I called the vet & was told to keep her on the soft food awhile longer so I gave her nothing but that for the last week. Yesterday I attempted to give her one small treat & within a minute she had thrown it up along with the food I'd fed her approximately two hours earlier. She is able to drink water fine & goes to the bathroom no problem. I've also checked her stool & there is no blood. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I'm going to be calling the vet first thing in the morning but I cannot reach them right now & I'm very worried.

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Does your vet not have an emergency number to call? Has he/she done any blood work yet?

garbola
July 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
My vet does not have an emergency number but they refer to an emergency clinic in town. I called the emergency vet & all they said was that they couldn't advise me what to do & that it was my call as to whether I bring her in to see them today or wait to talk to my vet tomorrow. I asked if it sounded like something they felt needed immediate attention since it's been an ongoing thing for two weeks now & they again just said it was my call. My vet has not done any blood work. They did do a stool sample to rule out parasites but that's the only test they've done so far.

A few things I didn't mention... her disposition hasn't changed at all, she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, & her appetite hasn't decreased. She is a very nervous dog (scared of everything) & we're in the process of moving so our house is in complete disarray. My initial thought was that it might be stress related since she is so high strung but the fact that she can keep certain types of food down & not others makes me think it's not just stress.

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM
I would phone your vet first thing in the morning and arrange to have some bloodwork done. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: