Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So worried about my cat..Needing advice

janicemdaley
July 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Hi All, Am hoping someone might be able to advise me. I have an 18 year old cat who has been relatively healthy. Last week she suddenly started limping on her front paw and would not put it on the floor. The leg then swelled. After apx a week it seemed better but her paw now seems turned when she stands. She is more sedentary now as well. I was thinking she was ok until this morning when she started licking herself in her outer arm pit area (sorry but unsure of how else to describe it) Anyway, she stopped and slept some more. I just investigated and found an open wound of about 1 inch in that area! It is no bleeding but the skin is open. I know I have to bring her to the vet but am so afraid for the cat. Do these symptoms sound like anything anyone has dealt with before? Help! Thanks.

erykah1310
July 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Im sorry its not ringing a bell for me, but definately is sounding an alarm to head to the vet soon.
I hope its nothing serious, but please do let us know.
:grouphug:

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Does she go outside? If so, it's possible that she got bit by another cat. Also, at 18 yr. old cats can get lumps for many reasons. Either way, she definitely needs to go to the vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

CyberKitten
July 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
It does not sound like anything I have ever encountered with the many cats I have had or known. I would take her the vet asap to check it out. It could be an infection, a bite, at her age - arthritis - but it is impossible for anyone here to guess without more info and online. Your vet will be able to diagnize and treat it. I hope it is not serious!! Good luck!!

badger
July 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
That bite - is it oozing anything? Is the tissue around it unusually hard? I think she's probably got an infection and that it is painful to walk on, so she places her feet differently to alleviate it, or try to. Don't waste any time taking her to the vet; old kitties need immediate care if something goes wrong.
But don't worry. A little medication will probably take care of it.

dudabug
July 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
One of my cats (Dudabug) is a huge tomcat. He spends most of the time in doors but Ill allow him outside every now and then. My back yard is fenced in and he usually stays within the fenced area. He is 12yrs old and on three seperate occations, he ended up with what started out as a small lump...usually on the leg areas, over a few days the lump would grow but felt soft to the touch. Each time the lump, after about a week or so, would burst and it wasnt pretty. It never bled but it would leak some nasty looking clear stuff. The vet always gave us antibodies for about a week. After about 2 days of the fluid draining, and a week of anitbodies he was fine each time. The vet says its just an abcest scratch or small cut. But like I said while its draining, it looks horrible but it seems it looks worse than it really is. But you should get to a vet ASAP... in case its something more serious. The vet says its just from a scratch that basically gets infected. But get it checked out soon....just in case. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Cats just like us can get sprains and break bones at any time, she could have injured herself jumping down from a spot she's done a thousand times before. Go to a vet ASAP, if she is generally healthy it may be as simple as some antibiotics. If the leg is infected or injured you need to treat it right away so it doesn't cause other complications.

Hope your kitty heals soon!:goodvibes: