Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Potty Training Issues

1craftychik
July 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM
I have been given a 14 month old CockerPoo named CoCo. Her previous owner had a few issues with her and needed to relinquish her. Sadly, I have discovered why, but I'm trying to overcome. It appears that she is a magnet for fleas and requires an aggressive and costly treatment plan. Most of my home has carpet so I don't have to tell you what a battle that is with the fleas. Currently, Coco is not allowed to go outside until her flea medication arrives. This has to be the case to avoid an infestation. She also suffers from severe allergies as a result of the flea bites.

So the issue now is she will potty on the bathroom floor NEXT to her potty pad and floor protector! In the home, she never goes potty while I'm home so I'm unable to correct her immediately. In her mind I'm sure she's thinking just take me outside, but I don't want her to eat herself scratching at her skin from the flea bites and I don't want the fleas biting me! And even worse her urine is staining my brand new expensive bathroom floor in my new home! Please help me and CoCo or I just might have to relinquish her as well. But she's so cute!

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Maybe she'd prefer to go potty on something like grass? Is it possible to bring in a patch of sod (placed on top of a garbage bag) and encourage her to use that? I know some dogs develop a strong preference for their bathroom substrate so perhaps she just doesn't recognize the pee pad as something she should be using. Maybe even newspaper would be more to her liking. Also, is she crate-trained at all? That could possibly help the process.

want4rain
July 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM
have you tried apple cider vinegar and rosemary to help with the fleas?? along with some fish oil for her skin??

are they sure its fleas causing the issue or maybe its a skin condition?? has she ever had clear skin without crazy itchies??

-ashley

1craftychik
July 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
For the two people who have responded so far: I was thinking the same thing that she prefers to go on grass, but the weirdest thing is she will do one or the other on the potty pad just not both. So if she number 2's on the pad then she's peeing all over the floor. I would prefer the reverse order that way her pee is not staining my floors. I'll be taking a trip to the local hardware trying to recreate her being outside.

For the fleas, I haven't tried that but I betcha' I'm going to. Yes she definately has something called Flea Dermatitis or something according to the vet. She's allergic to fleas and a few other things but we got the other things in control but the fleas are vicious in Southern California. And it's hot everyday so fleas aren't seasonal here. I'm also going to try the fish oil through one of the Omega-3 vitamins to help her skin. She almost eats herself alive after being bitten. She requires a whole routine to help with the fleas, the process is grueling and working on a PhD I'm just not sure I have the time so I gotta' get these things under control. I want to be able to keep her. I believe she likes it here as we weren't having any problems until I discovered her problems.

I forgot to mention that I haven't tried crating her yet. I'm running out to purchase her one today.

Keep the suggestions coming cause I'm definately listening.

clm
July 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM
There was a topical flea control medication that I had to use. I can't remember what brand it was, had to be put on their neck. Worked wonderful, it wasn't inexpensive, but solved the flea problem totally.

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
sorry :sad: no help for potty issues I had a Dal/Lab boy who never had issues that direction, but he did have Flea Allergy Dermatitis:yuck:. He was on Program year round to stop the breeding of the fleas :D and if we had an outbreak re: a visit from his flea-infested-best-dog-buddy:laughing: who lived down the block I gave him a dose of Advantage which kills fleas on contact:thumbs up . Cally:dog: was also on Omega 3 to help his dry skin.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried 2 potty pads down on the floor so she can go one on each? (unsure how big the pads are-never had to use them)

Good luck with all.

chsemi
July 3rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Read out this Article....
6 Simple Tips To Help Potty Train Your Puppy (http://www.petsgator.com/pets-articles/6-simple-tips-to-help-potty-train-your-puppy.html)