Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sneezing & lethargic Maine Coon cat

boley
July 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM
My 4 yr old male Maine Coon has been lethargic & sneezing for about 5 days now. Sneezes several times a day. He sneezed all over my hand (thanks Bob) while we were at the vet & it was clear & watery. He just looks like he feels bad, lays around & isn't eating much either. His stool sample, temperature, heart rate was all normal. Not dehydrated, lungs clear. He also had loose stools. Vet gave him a shot (Centrine) & his stools are normal now. Also Flagyl liquid that I give him & a special food. This is going on 3rd day since the vet & he's still very lethagic. Vet said was just colitis (tummy & intestine) & sneezing caused by allergy. Nothing has changed that I can think of so not sure what would cause allergy. Any thoughts? I'll take him back to vet Monday if he's not any better. Thanks.

Love4himies
July 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM
Any blood work done? Maybe he sniffed in some dust that is irritating his sinuses.

badger
July 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Why couldn't he just have a cold? I realize there are some truly - and dangerously - allergic animals but the numbers seem to be increasing by leaps and bounds. Just saying.
If it is just a cold, three days is not enough time for the virus to clear. However, if his secretions become coloured (yellow, green), then antibiotics would be needed.
Lethargy and inappetance are normal. Try tempting him with some of his favourite canned food, the smellier the better.
(btw, I'm 100 years old ;) )

boley
July 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks, I fed him his favorite food & he ate pretty well today. Bobby's still not quite up to normal but I think he's getting there.

chico2
July 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Boley,I absolutely adore Maine Coons,had one myself a looong time ago and hope yours gets better soon.
I would love to see a pic of him,they are to me,the most beautiful cats.
My Maine Coon was a brown Tabby colour,unfortunately he died at the age of 3 yrs from UTI complications.