Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

boarding cats for 3 weeks

boley
July 1st, 2007, 02:23 AM
Hi! I'm new to this site & I am stressing over having to board my 3 cats for a 3-week vacation to Hawaii, almost to the point of cancelling the much-needed vacation. I know a pet sitter would be lots better but I just don't trust a stranger in my house. Plus 2 cats do not get along with the other, a big Maine Coon so they usually stay as far away from him as they can. The big kitty likes to stay outside (backyard) most of the time & the others mostly inside and those 2 are terrified of strangers. I do not have any friends or neighbor that is capable of feeding & changing litter boxes, etc. as they are handicapped or unavailable. So boarding at my vets seems the best option. They have a nice big room away from dogs & big roomy cages that look nice. I think they will be OK but I do worry about lack of exercise. Bob, the Maine Coon is especially active normally.

glitterless
July 1st, 2007, 05:56 AM
Don't worry about it. I'm sure that they'll receive excellent care being at a vet's and limited exercise for 3 weeks won't kill them.

It won't be much of a vacation if you spend the whole trip worrying ;)

Have fun :)

Stacer
July 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Are there other boarding facilities that offer more open areas/cat runs/entire rooms for your kitties? Being trapped in a cage for 3 weeks doesn't sound fun (sorry to be a bummer). I'd look for a kennel that has outdoor cat runs or full rooms for your cats so they at least will have space to walk around and play with toys etc.... I'm sure the vet would take excellent care of your babies though, no worres there.

krdahmer
July 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Have you looked at any other boarders other than your vet? If they deal strictly with cats like this one in your area, it might be more fun for your furbabies (and thus your vacation more fun for you!!;) )

I found these:

http://www.catconnection.net/boarding/services.htm

http://www.high-stonepetlodge.com/overnight_lodging.htm

They look awesome...I'd stay there! :goodvibes:

And if you looked there are professional cat sitters, that way if it's a company or person who does it as a business you might feel more comfortable letting a stranger in.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your vacation (I'm so jelous- always wanted to go there!!!) :D

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
You might want to check out The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters (http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm?section=PetOwners) website. I know I'm more comfortable leaving my cat at home in his familiar surroundings. He tends to stop eating under stress (and being away from home is uber stressful for some cats). Plus, pet sitters will take in the mail for you and water any plants, etc. Makes the place look more lived in while your gone.

boley
July 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone, yes I have checked other places to board & unfortunately I just can't afford it. With 3 cats for 3 weeks it really adds up & my vet is about half what most others charge & I feel very comfortable about then quality of care there. I'm mostly worried about the lack of exercise. The cages (more like what they call condos) are quite large & are 2 story so they can climb around a bit. But my Maine Coon is used to climbing trees, even the roof of the house & running all around the yard. The other 2 cats are older & more sedentary. Do you think he'll be OK cooped up for that long?

chico2
July 1st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Boley,I would get a bonded petsitter to stay at your house,they are insured and safe.
Luckily I have my son to stay with my 3 cats when we go away,my cats would definetly not like to be in a cage,no matter how large they are.
I know boarding kennels for 3 cats is very expensive,but if I had no choice,it would be well worth it for my piece of mind,if I could not find a petsitter to stay at my house.

clm
July 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM
I've never had to leave my pets with anyone, my hubby and I are real home boddies, so we don't travel. :p
If I ever did have to leave them, for 3 weeks :eek: , I would try to go the homesitter route first. A friend of mine used to travel a lot and used to have a retiree come in and look after her house, dog and cat.
Next choice would be with my vet. I now there are a lot of good kennels out there, but I know and trust my vet and would feel more comfortable if they were there.

Cindy

CyberKitten
July 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have always had a pet sitter in my home or when I had say just the bunny and just the dog (a very short period when I had but one animal, lol), I brought them to my parents or grandparents or brother or sister. I myself have done the same for all of them as well. I also have friends who will pet sit in my home of family is unavailable.

There are many reputable and bonded pet sitters - they would not last long in their careers if they were not safe so I would check the list and get references.

If you need a vacation, you should take it! And cats do so much better in their own surroundings but they would be fine in a vet or kennel as well - some kitty places are actually vr nice. The cats have their own place and are well cared for. Good luck!!

kiara
July 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
Your cats will do well at your vet's. Give him all the instructions needed. He, for sure will let them out for a stretch and exercise on a daily basis and they already know your vet. Have a great vacation !!!