Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Back home but sleeping a lot, is that normal?

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
So I brought the Dynamic Duo home this afternoon.

I took them in yesterday morning to get spayed and neutered. When I went to visit them at around 5 they had woken up from the anesthetic, but still a bit woozy. Now, the day after their surgery when I brought them home, they were all over the place and extremely active. But they have been sleeping since about 5:00pmish. It's now 8:30pm. Now I know they had surgery, and expected them to wanting and need ing the rest, but I guess their initial energetic homecoming threw me.

I just wanted to know if this is normal. Have your experiences been like this? Would they be returning to their normal routine by tomorrow perhaps?

I took a couple of pictures of them when I got home, but they're kind of fuzzy, mainly because the little buggers wouldn't sit still.

I couldn't resist that Harley Davidson safety collar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad%20and%20Oksana/IMG_0591.jpg

And I fell in love with this pink and white polka-dot collar for Oksana.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad%20and%20Oksana/IMG_0586.jpg

She's so dainty to me, I always feel like I want to get her girly stuff. Vlad is different, he's a little trouble maker, LOL so his stuff has to be rough and tough.

BMDLuver
June 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM
They most likely just overdid it. Just make sure that they are eating well, drinking, bathroom etc.. and check incision areas are not red or angry looking. If they seem at all lethargic, check temperatures.. that will rule out any post op infection possibilities.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks. They did eat well, and used the litter box. I've been looking at their incisions and they look normal, no redness or swelling. Of course, one just woke up, just when I'm getting ready to go to bed LOL.

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well if you don't have much to do, why not laze around with them for a day... that may encourage them to be snuggly instead of rambunctious! Kittens! So full of energy! You'll be amazed how quick they are back to normal, I know I always am.:)

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 12:14 AM
LIke BMDLuver said, they probably just overdid it. I'm sure they will be fine and keeping you on your toes once again. :D

glitterless
July 1st, 2007, 12:40 AM
My cats have all been the opposite of yours, but the last dog that I had spayed was exactly the same! She was crazy happy to see us again and I had a lot of trouble keeping her quiet as per the vet's instructions. I was so worried about her tearing her stitches out, but luckily she eventually calmed down and crashed for quite awhile.

I'm sure that the surgery and anaesthetic are really hard on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sleep a lot more over the next few days until they're completely back to normal.

I just wanted to add that they are both adorable :)

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Well if you don't have much to do, why not laze around with them for a day... that may encourage them to be snuggly instead of rambunctious! Kittens! So full of energy! You'll be amazed how quick they are back to normal, I know I always am.:)

They actually fell asleep with me rather quickly and slept as they always do. I think things today will be getting back to routine. And being lazy with them sounds like a great plan for today.

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
LIke BMDLuver said, they probably just overdid it. I'm sure they will be fine and keeping you on your toes once again. :D

Yep, on my toes once again.

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
My cats have all been the opposite of yours, but the last dog that I had spayed was exactly the same! She was crazy happy to see us again and I had a lot of trouble keeping her quiet as per the vet's instructions. I was so worried about her tearing her stitches out, but luckily she eventually calmed down and crashed for quite awhile.

I'm sure that the surgery and anaesthetic are really hard on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sleep a lot more over the next few days until they're completely back to normal.

I just wanted to add that they are both adorable :)

I figured since they were both acting the same way maybe it was normal, but I had to ask.

And thank you, they're my little sweeties.:cat: :lovestruck:

Love4himies
July 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
It is best for them to stay quiet, but normal for them to run about. As long as they are eating and going to the bathroom with no problems I would not worry about them. I am sure they are exhausted from their experience.

Keep the pictures coming, they are little sweeties.

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
I second the request for more pics. They have so cute and have so much expression in their faces. :lovestruck: .....btw, I love their collars. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
They both do have such expressive faces. I love taking pictures of them. They've been sleeping most of the day away. Still tuckered out I'd imagine. I'll certainly post more pictures soon. Thanks!

CyberKitten
July 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Mine are generally woozy and then perk up - I am sure yours will be fine! Enjoy the peace and quiet for a few hrs, lol

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
I finally wound up taking Vlad back. His little nuts looked red and he's been having stomach issues. They gave me some antibiotics and a collar. Oy, I had to take the collar off. He was hissing at Oksana and went nuts. I can't stress him out like that. I'll just have to watch out and make sure he doesn't lick himself while I'm around and keep cleaning him and her with Hydrogen Peroxide.