Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tips on catching mama cat and her litter

Luba
May 4th, 2004, 08:36 PM
My brother called me today, he has a mama cat and her kittens living under his wood pile outside. He's tried to catch them, to no avail.

Has anyone had some experience on what to do. He's coming over here this wkend and I have a cage he can use to trap them but he'll have to I guess do it one at a time?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Yes, I have a few tips.;) Coincidence - I caught a mama and her litter too!

You must have a humane trap, about the size needed for raccoons. Cat cages and carriers will not work, except on very young kittens. You can rent the traps.

Have your brother start feeding momma and the kittens in the same place at the same time every day. ONLY during the day - never at night.

After they are used to eating there, don't feed them for one day. The next day, set up the trap. Put something really smelly in it, like an opened can of tuna or salmon. Put some leaves or branches on top. Line the bottom very lightly with newspaper, as many cats don't like the wire under their feet. Set the trap only during the day when someone is home to monitor it. If it's set at night, there will be unpleasant surprises in it!

The kittens should be easier to catch. Try and make sure only one at a time goes in, and especially DO NOT let mama go in with one of the kittens. They could be seriously injured during her struggles to escape. It's not so bad if two kittens go in, especially if they are very young.

As soon as one is caught, put a blanket over the trap and bring the kitten in.

If the kittens are caught first, it will be much easier to catch mom. Put the kittens (one is enough) in a cat carrier, and put the carrier behind the trap - rail car fashion. Cover the trap and carrier with a blanket. The mom will see her kittens and think she can get to them by going into the trap.

Set up a place to put the kittens as you catch them. A large dog crate is good. Litter box, water and food go in, and cover the crate with a sheet.

Hope it works out!!!!

Luba
May 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM
LR thanks SO much I knew you would have some really good advise.

So what if it takes him more then a day or two to catch them all, this sounds stupid but where and what should he do with the ones he has caught.

He has two cats of his own that are and have always been indoor and are very timid and afriad of even their own shadows.

Is it risky health wise to bring them indoors, even if in a separate room?

And should they all be reunited together before they go to shelter/rescue.

I'm trying to do some searches to see if any rescues in the Toronto/Mississauga area will take them, instead of them going to the Toronto Humane Society.

I just think we've had so much horrible rain these little babies and their mama have been out for so long in this bad weather.

I wouldn't have thought to keep mom and kittens separate in the trap. You're so smart I knew I count on you for advise! :D

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Luba, not many shelters can work with wild kittens or cats. I know around here they would kill them 5 minutes after getting them.:(

Your brother will need to tame the kittens before he can get any rescue to take them, unless you are very lucky and find someone like me who tames ferals.:p

As I said, he should put each kitten in a dog crate as he catches them. It will be much easier to tame them that way.

After he has caught them all, they must go to the vet for checkups, deworming, etc. Hopefully the vet will give him a break on prices, since these are not his cats.

How old are the kittens?

Luba
May 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Sorry LR I didn't see the response it didnt' come up as a new post to me.

I haven't seen the kittens myself but he says they look young and there maybe is 5/6 of them.

You're right about the rescues, no luck there but I'm going to call the Mississauga Humane Society and see if they can help. Somehow?

See the trouble is he's at work so early to late at night running his own business. There is someone else at home that can help (maybe) but he's older and not so capable if you know what I mean.

I know he won't be able to keep them in his house because of his own cats and I have two cages he can use to hold them in but it's gonna be a lot of work I see!

I am hoping the food lures them out he hasn't seen them in two days but then again he's not home much.

Too bad, some idiot didn't fix there cat somewhere along the line!!
Makes me very angry.

MBRA518
May 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Luba, not many shelters can work with wild kittens or cats. I know around here they would kill them 5 minutes after getting them.:(

Luba E-mail me about these cats (dugas8004@rogers.com) and I will forward the message on to a person I know who works with rescuing feral cats. She is just north of me and I believe there are members of the group in the TO area as well.

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2004, 09:08 AM
That's great!:)

Luba
May 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Thats wonderful, email sent :D

THANKEY

Luba
May 11th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Well I wanted to update on the mama and her litter

After a few attempts to try and lure them out of where they are hiding he hasn't (my brother) seen them since. He thinks they may have moved on somewhere else. The food wasn't being eaten by them, and he hasn't heard them or seen them in a few days now.

I doubt they will come back, but then again you never know. It's too bad there is another litter out there that will produce more litters and so on and so on...u get the picture.

If anyone should see them again, I'll let you know.

A couple of ducks have taken up residence in the pool of my brothers yard so maybe the noise or ducks scared them away as well?

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2004, 09:35 PM
If the ducks are nesting, they would certainly chase away any cats!

The only way to catch feral cats is with a humane trap - nothing else is effective or safe.

Luba
May 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Yes I gave him my trap to use LR and it was no good.

I asked if the ducks have eggs, he hasn't see any but tis the season.

Wish I could post pics but I haven't been up to his place. I'm not sure what kinda ducks they are.

Luba
May 13th, 2004, 09:29 PM
So far no more news re the illlusive bunch, I think they moved onwards.

Like you said maybe the ducks frightened them away.

Thanks so much for the advise LR I'll know what to tell him or who else asks next time. I do appreciate your wisdom :D You're so humble but you know you're good!! ;)