Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If you are planning to abandon your cat today, read this

badger
June 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
My neighbours across the alley moved yesterday. They have an older black cat who sometimes spends time on my balcony, usually to find the sun before it hits theirs, occasionally cadging food ;) . He is very attached to his people and seems to come and go fairly freely, except in the winter when they keep him inside.

Anyway, they decided to leave him overnight, until they had their apartment set up, when there would be less chance of him escaping through an open door. So I've been watching him more closely. The poor guy, he sits on their balcony, not really understanding why he can't go inside or hear their voices through the window. He is so confused. Finally, he came over to my side and I fed him a big breakfast and he is now sleeping it off. When he wakes up, he'll go back home, and wait some more. Luckily, there is a happy ending to this story.

I once rescued a cat who initially came to eat, then was coaxed inside, and stayed. But for months and months, every day I would see him crossing the garden, always taking exactly the same route, rain or shine. He was going home, or to the place he remembered as home and people he remembered as his, just in case it had all been a dream. Then finally he realized that we were now his family and he stopped wandering. In the last year he has become such a cuddler, at the beginning he wouldn't even stay in the same room with me, his trust in people was completely shot.

So I just wanted to call out to all those people who are moving today (July is Mass Moving Day in Quebec for some archaic reason) and are planning to leave their moggies behind. you know who you are.

Your cat will be helpless without you. His territory has expanded exponentially and he feels totally threatened. He has never had to hunt or find shelter or defend himself against bullying toms, cars and evil people. When he turns out to be a lousy hunter (the vast majority), he will eat garbage if he can find it and if not, dirt and rocks, anything to cut his hunger. Over time, his body will literally stop growing and even appear to shrink. He only has enough calories to stay alive, nothing extra. His head looks too big for his body, which is a narrow slab set on four legs, like a little table, no roundness anywhere. Worms will give him a belly but it is not from overeating.

If by some miracle he survives the first few days or weeks, he will quickly become infected with parasites and fleas, which will sap his energy and make him vulnerable to disease. At the first swipe of another cat's claw he will start to acquire wounds, all of which will fester. Some will become abcessed and the infection will spread, leading to fever, loss of appetite and reduced mobility. In the wild, any physical weakness is a prelude to death, so one way or another the infection will finish him off, very slowly. Or if he can't make it across the road in time, very quickly.

Bottom line: Your cat WILL SUFFER. I'll try to get to him first but there are so many, it is impossible to save them all. Or even a fraction.

I know, it's just a cat. Dime a dozen. And that thinking is the root of your ignorance.

Spare me your pitiful excuses.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
This brought tears to my eyes. It makes me think of the way Vlad was looking at me yesterday when I left the vet's office. I hope he knows I'm coming back to pick him and his little sister up. I don't know how people can just leave their pet like some people do.

These owners could have at least put him in a large crate indoors if they were afraid he'd get out. At least he would have been inside and not felt like they'd just left him out there because they didn't want him. Or at the very least, put him in a bedroom with the door closed or in the bathroom instead of leaving him outside like that.

badger
June 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that's a bit of an issue with me as well. He spends so much time outdoors that maybe they thought he'd be happier. Luckily he is not a roamer, just flops around in the garden or sleeps under a bush.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Poor little sweetie. I hope they don't shut him out like that again.

Frenchy
June 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Oh Badger :sad: your post should have been put in a newspaper this week. You are the one who picks up the ones left behind by ignorant, uncaring people. It's just not fair. :grouphug:

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
:highfive: You said exactly what I'd like to say so eloquently, you really should try to get that in a newspaper and share it. Just the verbal slap in the face some people need. And I'm with you, they leave them, I take them in! Poor Palomine checked my house out a few times through the screen door then one day just invited himself in, he must have seen how spoiled the other 5 were!! It just kills me that someone thought he was disposable!!!:yell: How ignorant and sad can you get?!:mad: But all my guys have happy endings... they live with me now and know how much they are loved and that they will never be abandoned again! I just pray that it works out that way for all the countless others left behind...:pray: :grouphug:

I just hope one day someone they trust and depend on, leaves these horribly mean people behind and forgets about them they way they do to these poor trusting furbabies...

Love4himies
June 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Very well written, Badger, I agree, you should send this into the newspaper and see if they will publish it.

Sadly,there are alot of people that think cats are self sufficient and can fare well on their own.:mad:

kiara
June 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM
THIS IS INDEED SO SAD. AS A RESCUER, I AM URGING THE PUBLIC WHO LIVES IN MONTREAL TO PLEASE ADOPT A CAT OR TWO (even if you were not planning to). WE ARE ABSOLUTELY FULL AND OVERWHELMED WITH CALLS. THEY DON'T DESERVE THIS HORRIBLE FATE TO BE THROWN OUT LIKE GARBAGE!!!!! ALSO PLEASE DONATE YOUR TIME OR MONEY, IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

SableCollie
June 30th, 2007, 03:17 PM
That is well-written and very sad! :sad: I had never heard of "moving day" until I found this site. It still seems very strange to me.

hazelrunpack
June 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I agree, badger--try to get it in tomorrow's paper--and in papers every year hereafter at this time of year!

It takes a whap upside the head to get through to some people, but sometimes, just a well-timed, eloquently written piece like what you posted can make an impression. And if it saves even one cat from abandonment, it would be well worth the effort to get it printed! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
June 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well said Badger!! I know of moving day in Quebec (do not know its history though - seems unique to Quebec for some reason?). That poor little kitty and all those like him will be in my thoughts today as I give mine extra cuddles!! It alsi makes me angry at those so called humans!

chico2
June 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Badger very well written and I would definetly send it to a newspaper,maybe it will nudge someones guiltfeelings in to doing the right thing for these helpless little lives..:cat:

kashtin's kin
June 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM
...all of the above, Badger. Thank god someone like you (and hopefully a few others) are around to do what you can; hang in there. For those idiots who regard pets as disposable-I realize such filth wouldn't be on this BB-shame on you indeed.

Longblades
July 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Yes, yes, I agree. Can you send it as an editorial to your paper? July first is over but it will still do some good, I hope.

dudabug
July 4th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Ive had a few run in with these Aholes....! These are living ,breathing beings that feel pain, that feel neglect and feel hunger. They also feel love , they also feel compassion and they feel warmth. This past November, these fools that lived across the street from my Moms house just up and moved leaving behind a mother cat and four tiny kittens. 1st the mother wondered up to my Moms and thank goodness I was visiting and had just bought cat food for my own cats. She was very timit but allow me to feed her. Within 2 days each kitten wondered over and became a fixture at Moms. So anytime I went over I brought food and flea medicine for them. I wanted to find them a good home so I ran an ad and adopted out two of them within the 1st week and we have adopted the other two. Since my Blade passed away last week....as soon as the dust settles here....I think Im gonna bring those last two here to my house. But my point is that this happens far too often. It should be a damn crime...! :yell: :yell: :yell:

rainbow
July 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Excellent post, Badger :thumbs up ....but very sad to read. :sad: I also think you should send it to the newspapers. Hopefully, it will change at least one person's mind. :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
It is a crime most places, but almost impossible to prove. And the punishments are not nearly severe enough. If you knew who this neighbour was you could report it to animal control or the humane society, willfull neglect or abandonment usually comes with at least a hefty fine.:sad: (Should come with shackles and the cat-o-nine-tails in my opinion!:frustrated: )