Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strong Cat Urine Smell

pookie220
June 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I have a 16 year old cat. His urine and feces smell is so strong, that it actually goes through the entire house. His feces is not normal, as it is always soft and light brown. We feed him Iams, and have tried other foods, but it doesn't seem to help. Can anyone help. ITS HORRIBLE.

Thanks

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Have you taken him to the vet? He might have health issues that are contributing to the strong smell.

pookie220
June 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Yes, they say he is just old! Not a great answer, but I thought if there was a vitamin or something I could give him, it might help. They said to try and change his food. I have done that, and tried everything from organic, to the cheap food. Nothing seems to help. He is also a freak about human food. But, he doesn't get human food on a regular basis.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have never had a cat that old, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if their age is part of it. If you have tried different foods, and its not his health, I'm not sure what to suggest.

My cats are kittens, so theirs isn't bad, but just to keep the smell down, I do have a litter maid, which rakes their waste often. And I also have an air filter in the bathroom, as well as an air fresher that releases scent every now and then. Doing all that has helped. People walk into my place and don't even know I have a cat, that is unless they look at the mess of toys in my living room.

badger
June 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Have you tried some of the holistic foods? Iams has alot of filler, which means they poop more often. Foods like Innova and Eagle Pack are more concentrated, so there is less waste, but I can't guarantee it will smell any better.
I have the same problem, although the cats in question are much younger. They eat very well (although probably more than they need ;) ) and often don't bury their treasures:eek:. So I've decided to try probiotics, in case it's a digestive problem. I'll let you know.
Is the old guy neutered? Intact male urine is often pretty stinky.

Calling Dr. Lee..

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Here the smell is definitely directly related to what goes in...

Iams I don't think is a very good quality food, you may want to try some of the holistics mentioned above. They may cost a little extra initially but save you in the long run, as the cats don't need to eat as much because of the better nutrition, and they are less messy and stinky in the litter box.

I hope at 16, your cat will have many more happy years to go!!! (I'm hoping for 20+ with all of mine!!!):goodvibes:

pookie220
June 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I have tried Innova, and it was worse! I seriously have tried just about every single food out there. I do not give him soft food though. He is neutered. I actually had the litter mate and I had to throw it away! Yah, worse $150 I have spent! Because he doesn't have solid waste, it would get caught in the rake, and then the smell would linger. I clean out the box every morning and every evening, but its still really bad. I have tried, no joke, every single air freshener on the market. Everything from Freebze, to Lysol, to that Citrus disk thing. I even had two of the air fresheners that spray every 15 minutes, and still, its horrible. I have even tried the professional stuff you see in bathrooms at restaurants, and such. Its just crazy. I have spent so much money trying to get the smell out of everything. The kitty box is in the laundry room, and I can't leave wet clothes to dry in there because they will smell like it. I have tried every type of litter as well, even the organic litter - doesn't help!!

What is that probiotics stuff? Is that something I get from the vet or over the counter.

Thanks for all the thoughts, something has to work out there!!!

sugarcatmom
June 30th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I have tried Innova, and it was worse! I seriously have tried just about every single food out there. I do not give him soft food though.

I'd suggest giving him canned food, with a few tsps of extra water mixed in. He needs the moisture and it would probably make his urine less concentrated, and therefore less smelly. Better for his kidneys as well.

sugarcatmom
June 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Forgot to ask you about your cat's vet visit: What sorts of tests did your vet do? Was there a full blood panel, urinalysis, etc? The reason I ask is because light coloured stool can be a sign of liver/bile duct problems. Is the feces mucusy at all? Smelly, soft and mucusy stool might also indicate Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I'd suggest a more thorough vet visit or a second opinion if a diet change to grain-free canned (Wellness is a good one) doesn't help things. Light coloured poop is not normal and could be a sign of something more serious than just "old age".

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Over the counter at a pet store.

Oh and what litter do you use? I found that those clay litters were horribly stinky no matter what I did (and especially messy and gross for loose stools), so I tried the more natural ones and have settled on wheat although corn was great but Fagan was allergic. They clump hard, are flushable so you can scoop and get rid of immediately, and I find that there is hardly an odor in the house at all.... and thats with six cats using it and me scooping only once a day! (Course I do have 4 large boxes.)

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM
I also would like to know if your vet did a urinalysis and full blood panel?

badger
July 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM
Probiotics contain friendly bacteria for the stomach which sometimes get depleted by medication or poor health. You can get them at the pharmacy as well, a bit expensive but no more than what you've been shelling out for air fresheners, new litter, etc. I sympathize, living in a small space with many cats, one stinkpot is all it takes.

Try all canned, it is certainly easier to digest. I suspect his old tummy just can't handle a common ingredient in the dry, maybe the grains. If you've been trying new foods too quickly, that can also tip the balance.
Not a bad idea to have a blood panel done to make sure everything's working. If the panel is normal, I would avoid the usual drugs the vets throw at you when they have no clue - they probably won't help and may make things worse. If there is blood in his stool, then of course he has to be treated.

You could also try slippery elm, which you can get at the health food store (not the tablets, must be the pure powder). You mix it with a little water and shoot it into his mouth with a syringe. It coats the entire digestive system. My old tabby (who has had digestive problems, mostly constipation, as long as I've had him) does very well on it. Google 'slippery elm cat', there's lots of info on the net.

want4rain
July 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM
you could try a homemade diet. on putting my cats on a 70% meat 10% organ and a 20% puree vegg/dairy diet along with a single oyster and a bit of a calcium pill crushed up... noticed a HUGE difference in their pee and poop. way way more pee but way less smelly, poops are solid and consistent and SMALL!!! hubby almost enjoys cleaning the cat pans now. :)

if you decide to give it a shot, do some research and ask a few questions. you dont want to give a huge variety of meat at first, veggies need to be pureed and organ meats are a must.

and its really really not that hard. preparing it all together once every two weeks takes me about an hour or so. maybe two if you count washing the dishes up too.

-ashley

Stacer
July 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Poor old guy. I'm sure it's frustrating trying to find a solution and continuously hitting dead ends. I'll echo what others have said about food, have you tried a completely grain free food such as Wellness CORE, or Orijen (I'm not sure if you can get it in the States). I see that you've already tried Innova, did you try Innova EVO (grain free) or just the regular Innova? My cats eat the Orijen and their poops are so small and firm and not smelly at all. Also, switching a food suddenly can cause more problems (diarrhea etc...) initially, so a nice gradual switch over several weeks to a month would be easier on his tummy and maybe you'll see more favourable results from the switch (this is assuming you haven't already switched properly, lol). Maybe a more thorough vet checkup is in order as well. I hope you can figure it out.