Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

UGH... Poor Fagan...

krdahmer
June 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I jinxed him.... I was typing last night in another thread how it had been almost 8 months since his knee last slipped out of place... and ou laa! Doesn't it slip out today when he fell trying to get on the desk!!! :frustrated: :sad: My poor little man. He ran to the basement (an improvement from the usual hours under the bed) and laid on the cool concrete floor... smart little bugger:lovestruck: . It went back in pretty quickly and I laid on the floor with him till he was feeling better. He seems to be taking it easy tonight which is good, and I put all his 'ladders' (chairs/stools) etc for all his jumping spots.

I gave him some Traumeel and Rescue remedy, and he seems just fine now. I should have known and put out his ladders earlier... after all he had 2 depo shots this month. He is such a little trooper and back upstairs napping in the hallway.

My question though is to the doggy :dog: folks: I've seen talk about using, I think its glucosomine or something for your babies that have joint problems... does anyone know if you can give something like that to a cat? We've been doing well with Holistic treatments here, but he does need depo shots when it gets bad, so I was wondering if I could use something to strengthen his joints so that his knee isn't as weakened by the shots.

Frenchy
June 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
That's a pretty good question ! I myself never heard about glucosamine for cats. I don't think they would need it ? :confused: Do cats get arthritis ?

(please don't tell my Monsieur le chat I don't know about those things :D )

sugarcatmom
June 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately cats do get arthritis. My vet says they're quite prone to getting it in their elbows, which is where my 14yr old Aztec has it. He's been taking something called Cosequin (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/cosequin/cosequin_cat_FAQ.asp) for a while and I have noticed an improvement. The persistent limp he had went away about 6 weeks after starting it. Not sure how it would relate to your kitty's knees but it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet about it (and you can only get it through your vet).

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear about Fagan's knee, krdahmer! :grouphug: I hope he's better soon. Less trauma all around! :fingerscr

CyberKitten
June 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Some vets do indeed prescribe glucosamine for cats and I think that is the important point - please consult with your vet first!! Cats are tinier than dogs - well, most of the time anyway - there are some small dogs who may be smaller than cats but on avg, I think it is safe to suggest that most dogs are larger in weight that most cats. <g>

I have never used it and if I had it, my experience would be sole anecdotal and not necessarily all that helpful to you since all cats are different and illnesses a4e unique as well. Too, there are some points to consder when giving glucosamine to kitties:

* 8lucosamine works by acting on living cartilage cells, so it tends to be effective when used early in the course of arthritis, before the joint damage is more severe or more extensive . In fact, some studies show glucosamine is most effective when it is given before there are any clinical signs of arthritis. Other studies my vet has shown me show that this supplement given to older cats screened before arthritis has even begun to cause pain or difficulty walking can be very effective. In fact, some suggest it the most effective way to treat it. This is why screening of cats as they get older is so important!

* Glucosamine is not a cure for arthritis, but a treatment. This means it must be given every day for the life of the cat. And ,as with dogs, the amt given sometimes can be reduced over time as more healthy cartilage is produced. It depends on the situation and what the disease is. I am not certain for example, it would help in as minor ailment that is transitional. I think it is prob better for a chronic ailment like arthritis.

* Glucosamine is not a drug and it takes time to work! It may be four to eight weeks before you see any improvement. If you don't see improvement after eight weeks, it's a good idea to have your cat re-evaluated; arthritis may not be the problem. And you do not want to be giving your cat something s/he does not need!

* Nutritional supplements are not well-regulated in the either Canada or the US and thus, purity, potency and even the ingredients in glucosamine supplements can vary dramatically among brands. As a rule, the less expensive supplements are either not as pure or may contain lower doses of the active ingredients. Buy only top-quality supplements from reputable manufacturers, because products of lesser purity are also less effective. Ask your veterinarian for a recommendation. Some pharmacists or doctors can also help youhe dose size is the next important thing. Personally, I refer to a peer reviewed study conducted that illustrated that Swiss Herbal (I think that's the name, let me check ) and....Flexicose came out on top in this part if Canada. This was for humans, remember.Almost every clinical study used a full 1,500 mg of Glucosamine.

* Also, the kind given orally in liquid form has been shown to be much more effective than in pill form.IV or injections are even better yet of course. You - or your pet - absorb it much better in liquid or IV form.. Humans of course are supposed to take 1500 mg a day and I do not know what it would be a cat. Much much less is my guess but please again, check with your vet!!!!! I know large dogs tend to be prescribed 250 mg a day but the dose for cats is much smaller than that yet!

Hartz has an OTC product on the market (well , I suppose all glucasamine products are OTC) that has 250 mg of it plus a plethora of other products that are prob not needed so again, I say ask your vet. They I would think are jumping on the bandwagon and you might find it cheaper to but the Swiss Herbal though they cannot be divided up and come in 500 mg size I believe.

I would ask your vet about this because it can be reubbed in and might have similar effects to someone taking it in liquid format as humans.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=bizrate&cm_cat=mercent&cm_pla=datafeed&cm_ite=14857&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025586&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441817352&bmUID=1183173639220

I have to admit as someone who has chronic pain, ir does NOTHING for me but my pain is quite severe so I am prob past the point where it might be useful - and it does not work with everyone or every cat or dog or bunny.

* There are many natural glucosamine products that are formulated specifically for cats and dogs and that contain the recommended dosage of glucosamine and other joint-enhancing supplements. Some are formulated as treats that will be much easier to give your cat than a pill.

I just called my vet while typing this and she says she tells all her senior cats' people to get the liquid kind because and I quote "(Typos are mine entirely!!) "Glucosamine when combined with the appropriate ingredient mix will help your pet's arthritis pain in about 10-15 days. In extremely severe cases, it may take as long a month! What should not be overlooked is that this can be accomplished without the dangerous side effects of NSAIDS and COX-II inhibitors.

It must be stressed that these kinds of results will only be seen if you are using an extremely high-grade liquid glucosamine formulation. The use of pills or capsules is not going to produce these kinds of results. A pharmaceutical grade liquid formula is recommended for maximum effectiveness, absorption, and minimum time to relief.

And, to maximize both the impact on pain relief and rehabilitation, other ingredients are essential. She listed some but that depends on the cat or dog and their situation so I won't list them.

However, like me, she said please talk to your vet since s/he will know your cat's health. Vets have it in liquid form and most health food stores or pharmacies also have it.

Good luck!!

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well thanks all! It's not arthritis yet... he is also only 3 yrs old. It is a knee problem that I have treated thus far as an injury because it only happens after he has had a depo medrol shot for his skin problems. I don't know if the glucosamine works the way I want, I'm hoping that there is something that could be used preventatively to strengthen his knees and joints, even maybe something he should be getting in his diet. :shrug: I am going to consult with my vet as she is very knowledgable about holistic treatments. I don't really want to resort to a medication because he has been on so many in the last year already.

Thanks a bunch guys.:D

Oh and Fagan is back to normal today, when his knee goes out now, he seems to get over it in a matter of hours, with only a minor limp for a few days after. He is jumping and climbing like normal though (with the aid of his ladders). The Traumeel really seems to help.