Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wieght question?

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
My mom has a 3 year old female German Shepherd named Kesha, she was at the vet for her yearly checkup and she weighed in at 83 pounds and the vet said hed like to see her get down to 70 pounds, my mom is upset as she dosent think Kesha needs to lose weight, IMO i think she is a bit heavy, so on behalf of my mom my question is ..what is the average healthy weight a female shepherd should be?.......my BC Ringo and his girl Kesha:lovestruck:

sissani
June 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what the standard is, but I've seen anywhere from 65 to 90+ lb GSDs. But general rule of thumb to tell if a dog or cat is at a good weight is that you shouldnt be able to see the ribs, but should be able to feel them. If the vet said Kasha needs to shed some pounds, it would be good for your mom to work at getting Kesha to a healthier weight. She'll not only be healthier and live longer, but be happier too.

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I don't know what the weight should be, but I do agree about the ribs thing. There's a poster in my vet's office and its says if you can feel your pet's ribs fairly easily then they are at a good weight.

She doesn't look heavy though, but if the vet thinks she should lose a few pounds its for her own good.

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
According to the CKC a female should weigh 60 to 70 pounds.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=99&BreedCode=GSD

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
How rude of me. :o ......I also meant to add that both Ringo and Kesha are gorgeous. :lovestruck: Kesha does look a little chubby but it's hard to tell with her sitting down. What is your mom feeding her? How much and how many times per day? Does she get well exercised?

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
That's really a cute picture of both of them! :lovestruck: They look like good pals. :D

I do three 'touch tests' to monitor the weight of my dogs. I check the backbone--should be easy to feel, but not prominent. I check the ribs--again, easy to feel, but not visible or jutting. And I check the upper "knobs" of the hip bones--again, they should be easy to feel but not stark.

I use the triple check because I've found that some setters feel ribby when they're actually carrying too much weight--their hips and/or backbones are too heavily padded. Macie is like that, as is Ridge (Ridge gets positively wide across the hips and her ribs still have almost nothing over them). I've actually found that (in my setters, at least) the hips are the best indicators of weight.

Once you get a feel for how much padding the skeleton should have, it's easy to tell if a dog is losing or gaining weight and whether they're at a good weight. The only problem is that you'll have a hard time convincing someone who habitually overfeeds their dog that the over-padding they're feeling isn't healthy for their dog. :rolleyes:

pags
June 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
You've gotta take the breed standard weights with a grain of salt... Those might be ideal for the breed... but that doesn't mean all dogs of that breed meet those guidelines. :) I had a 98 lb female GSD -- and she was no where near overweight.. but she had a big frame for a little girl. :)

Like all the others have said -- you've just gotta do the touch and feel tests ... and if all else fails.. follow the advice of the vet.

Goldyy
June 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thank you all so much for your replys:) .. rainbow im not exactly sure what brand of food she is fed or how often but she does get exercise..i will relay what you all have told me to my mom...and oh i did the touch test on Ringo and he passes :thumbs up :)...again, thank you so much!!